The Student Room Group

What is the right course for me?

I want to do history at university but I'm struggling to find the right course for me. I don't want to do a BA History degree because I'm just not interested in modern history. I'm much more passionate about the Vikings, Celts, Anglo Saxons etc. I would regard these as 'ancient' civilisations but all BA Ancient History courses are focused entirely on the Greeks and Romans, which isn't what I want to do. I'm looking at Russell Group universities preferably and I will be attending their open days in the summer. But does anyone have any suggestions because I'm at a loss right now?! I would consider doing BA History if the course was very flexible, however somehow I can't imagine them allowing me to study just the Vikings and Celts! Help!

BTW I'm not applying yet, this is premature research and I've not made any decisions yet (as you can tell!).
Original post by PalindromeGirl
I want to do history at university but I'm struggling to find the right course for me. I don't want to do a BA History degree because I'm just not interested in modern history. I'm much more passionate about the Vikings, Celts, Anglo Saxons etc. I would regard these as 'ancient' civilisations but all BA Ancient History courses are focused entirely on the Greeks and Romans, which isn't what I want to do. I'm looking at Russell Group universities preferably and I will be attending their open days in the summer. But does anyone have any suggestions because I'm at a loss right now?! I would consider doing BA History if the course was very flexible, however somehow I can't imagine them allowing me to study just the Vikings and Celts! Help!

BTW I'm not applying yet, this is premature research and I've not made any decisions yet (as you can tell!).

Some unis do Viking Studies
Original post by PalindromeGirl

Aberdeen's Celtic and Anglo-Saxon Studies degree sounds like it would suit you very well. It does involve quite a bit of Viking study too. You can also combine this degree with History.

Other options to consider:

Cambridge - Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic
UCL - Old Norse and Viking Studies - involves learning Old Norse and a modern Scandinavian language
Nottingham - Viking Studies
Edinburgh - Celtic and Scandinavian Studies - involves learning Gaelic and a modern Scandinavian language
Glasgow - Celtic Civilisation and History
St Andrews - Mediaeval History
Exeter does a Flexible Combined Honours degree which lets you pick and choose modules from various departments thus enabling you to build your own degree to match your particular interests.
Original post by Snufkin
Aberdeen's Celtic and Anglo-Saxon Studies degree sounds like it would suit you very well. It does involve quite a bit of Viking study too. You can also combine this degree with History.

Other options to consider:

Cambridge - Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic
UCL - Old Norse and Viking Studies - involves learning Old Norse and a modern Scandinavian language
Nottingham - Viking Studies
Edinburgh - Celtic and Scandinavian Studies - involves learning Gaelic and a modern Scandinavian language
Glasgow - Celtic Civilisation and History
St Andrews - Mediaeval History
Exeter does a Flexible Combined Honours degree which lets you pick and choose modules from various departments thus enabling you to build your own degree to match your particular interests.

That's brilliant thank you! I'm going to have a look at those now. Tbh I wouldn't mind doing history and if Exeter are very flexible then that's definitely something to consider.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending