The Student Room Group

Part-Time Undergraduate Courses

Hello,

First I would like to apologise if this post isn't quite right in any way, as it is my first post. I would also like to apologise if this post isn't in the right sub-forum, I didn't quite know where to put it...

Right then, onto my question... Can an adult take an undergraduate degree part time at Imperial College London (or perhaps another reputable or very good Lindon university such as University College London)?

To put my question into context, I am planning on going to Cambridge University to study Computer Science and then moving to London to take up a graduate job. After settling in could I take an undergraduate Physics or Law or Linguistics degree at a good university part time purely out of interest?

I have noticed that Westminster University offer all of their degrees part time, although they're not the best university for the said subjects...

Another question... How are part time undergraduate degrees taught? Do you have to take a day or two off work every week to go into the university or can you just do the course in the evenings and at the weekends?

On a slightly separate note, would the same apply to American universities (especially those around Silicon Valley)? What are the entry requirments for undergraduate degrees in American if you already have a British undergraduate degree?

Thanks,

WAudis
Original post by WAudis
Hello,

First I would like to apologise if this post isn't quite right in any way, as it is my first post. I would also like to apologise if this post isn't in the right sub-forum, I didn't quite know where to put it...

Right then, onto my question... Can an adult take an undergraduate degree part time at Imperial College London (or perhaps another reputable or very good Lindon university such as University College London)?

To put my question into context, I am planning on going to Cambridge University to study Computer Science and then moving to London to take up a graduate job. After settling in could I take an undergraduate Physics or Law or Linguistics degree at a good university part time purely out of interest?

I have noticed that Westminster University offer all of their degrees part time, although they're not the best university for the said subjects...

Another question... How are part time undergraduate degrees taught? Do you have to take a day or two off work every week to go into the university or can you just do the course in the evenings and at the weekends?

On a slightly separate note, would the same apply to American universities (especially those around Silicon Valley)? What are the entry requirments for undergraduate degrees in American if you already have a British undergraduate degree?

Thanks,

WAudis

Any second degree would need to be paid by you and universities would be free to charge you more than £9,000. Normally yes part time means still going in during the daytime alongside the full time students just for less hours a week as you take less modules at a time.
Reply 2
Thank you for the responce. I appreciate that any further degrees would have to be paid for in full by myself, unless my employer decided to paid for part of the degree or pay for it in its entirety.

Are employers often amenable to allowing employees a day or two of work per week in order to allow them to do a further degree? Do employers ever pay for part of the degree if they deem it relevant to the role they pay you to do (if that makes any sense)?

Either way, back to the original questions:

(Original post by WAudis)
Hello,

Thanks,

WAudis
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
One other quick point, how do to quote the original post without copy and pasting the entire thing?
Reply 4
Original post by WAudis
Can an adult take an undergraduate degree part time at Imperial College London (or perhaps another reputable or very good Lindon university such as University College London)?

Yes, generally it is common to find degrees - even at top-tier unis such as ICL or UCL - as part-time. If you check the online course specs, these will specify. Mature student entry is usually encouraged.

After settling in could I take an undergraduate Physics or Law or Linguistics degree at a good university part time purely out of interest?

Yes, as long as you meet the entry requirements (which may not be the same as those published for school leaver entry) you will be eligible to apply. You will still be in competition with other candidates, so you will need to convince the uni of your continued interest and commitment to completing your studies.

Taking a degree purely for interest is a valid reason, but you will still form part of the course stats by which the uni will be judged. If the uni thinks you will not be able to sustain your studies for six years, they will not take you on. You will need to work hard in your Personal Statement and convince them.

How are part time undergraduate degrees taught? Do you have to take a day or two off work every week to go into the university or can you just do the course in the evenings and at the weekends?

If you're looking at the likes of ICL or UCL, you will do the same modules at the same times as undergrads, with just half the full-time credits per year. So these will be taught during weekdays and you would need to take time off work.

No account would be taken of your working commitments by the uni and it would be up to your employer as to whether they chose to alter your working patterns to fit in. For most employers, this wouldn't be feasible unless you could prove the the degree would be of direct benefit to them.

If you want an evening/weekend option in London, Birkbeck (also part if the Uni of London) runs part-time degrees which have teaching at evenings/weekends, and are specifically aimed at those who have other commitments during the working day.
Original post by WAudis
Thank you for the responce. I appreciate that any further degrees would have to be paid for in full by myself, unless my employer decided to paid for part of the degree or pay for it in its entirety.

Are employers often amenable to allowing employees a day or two of work per week in order to allow them to do a further degree? Do employers ever pay for part of the degree if they deem it relevant to the role they pay you to do (if that makes any sense)?

Either way, back to the original questions:

You can't consistently ask for a couple of days a week off, no, you'd need to be on a part time contract. Sometimes employers do pay tuition fees for a course e.g Counselling diploma, BTP/LPC (via the training contract) e.c.t- but its not that common.

And you either press the quotation mark button or the one with the notepad on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending