The Student Room Group

School making me sick

Hi, im currently in 6th form, and enjoying 3 out of my 4 subjects. My fourth subject has no relevance to my career and i really dont like it. When I think about it I start feeling like crying and have really horrible thoughts about harming myself and I am tempted to start smoking. However, when i spoke to the head of year ( i didnt tell her the above reasons) she said I cant only take 3 because I did good at GCSE. Now i dread school and feel like crying and I am so angry and stressed about it. She said if i didnt take a fourth subject then basically i wouldnt get into uni. I want to go to salford uni and do computing, but she says i wont be able to. If i dropped my 4th subject, then i would get AAA in the other 3, but she wont let me. It is really getting me down.
Reply 1
Tell her to swing from the lamp post. Loads of people get into uni with 3 A-levels, myself included.
Reply 2
Go to the headteacher if the 6th form head ain't listening, better doing well in 3 subjects than doing rubbish in 4. Dropping the subject will give you more time to concentrate on your subjects.
Are these AS levels or A2s? If they're A2s, your head of year is talking absolute *******s, seeing as pretty much all offers are 3 A levels. If they're ASs, try e-mailing some of the universities you might be interested in and see if they'd take you without a 4th AS. I very much doubt you'd have a problem, but the only people who REALLY know the answer are admissions tutors.
She's most likely lying.
Reply 5
Doing more A levels is all about the league tables looking good and her end of year bonus. Sixth form head don't like to support their students.
Reply 6
What subject is it and what's wrong with it?
Yes, most offers are 3 A Levels, she is worried about the old stats. Don't know what to suggest, except just keep bothering her. But don't let this affect your other subjects, for now concentrate on them and put minimal effort into this one. Also talk to your parents, they may have more influence at school as well.
Reply 8
If you are doing as's stick it out, at least you know you can drop it in a year.
Reply 9
hmm..I was sick before taking my 4 A2's - but about a month before the exam I almost dropped History - the subject was just so ridiculously boring and not in the least bit intellectually stimulating - compounded by the fact that I had very poor teachers. However one of my teachers advised me to carry on with it because he said I was capable of getting my A - and now I'm really glad that I did. Can't you just grit your teeth and get the A even if you don't enjoy your subject..? I mean If you're capable of 3 A's - you're most likely capable of 4. Just think about it..
Reply 10
Most Universities don't need the 4th AS but some do.. have you checked with Salford? If you don't need it drop it and concetrate on the other three.
Reply 11
Computing at Salford requires 240 points. 2As?
Reply 12
Right ok. try to tell her how it is making you feel. it does help or try seeing student mentor like person. discuss how you feel with them see if there are other ways around it then try and tell your HofY anout it and don't let her push yyou around be firm and do not budge with your decision
tell that teacher of yours , that uni's dont require it ..if she doesnt let you just keep complaining and take the matter forward..i mean they cant just force you !!!!
she's lying

she thinks you'll get 4 good grades and then her school will ride high in the league tables

she's not thinking of you
You only need 3 A-levels. And AAA can get you far, without the need for extra subjects. She is obviously putting herself/the school rep before you, so tell her to **** off.
Reply 16
I think the whole point of doing 4 AS's is so you can drop one if you don't like it and you still have 3 left to do at A2. So if you hate it, just drop it.

Latest

Trending

Trending