The Student Room Group

General discussion AQA GCSE English Literature - Summer 2015

Hey guys!

I couldn't find a general thread for this GCSE, and it is - in my opinion - going to be the most challenging!

There have been some slight changes to this specification (9715)... Although it's pretty much the same :rolleyes: But we're the first year to do it :tongue:

Exam dates (AQA):
Unit 1: Monday 18th May AM
Unit 2/4: Friday 22nd May AM

I think they're a bit earlier than last year :angry:

I'm doing TKAM, The Crucible and Place :cool:

What prose, play and anthology cluster have you guys studied?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jitesh
Hey guys!

I couldn't find a general thread for this GCSE, and it is - in my opinion - going to be the most challenging!

There have been some slight changes to this specification (9715)... Although it's pretty much the same :rolleyes: But we're the first year to do it :tongue:

Exam dates (AQA):

just wondering what did you get in your language and literature controlled assessments?

I have to do a resit next week for TKAM extended readign and I have no idea what to write for my essay...
I did The Crucible last year, it was brilliant
Reply 3
Original post by theworkkid
just wondering what did you get in your language and literature controlled assessments?

I have to do a resit next week for TKAM extended readign and I have no idea what to write for my essay...

I haven't done that well but got a B.. I think the literature controlled assessment is the hardest! What's the topic? I love TKAM haha
I did get full marks in the spoken language CA..

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by manoornadim
I did The Crucible last year, it was brilliant

The book or the questions that came up? 😄
I heard people were glad there was a question about Proctor; the Mary Warren one mustn't have looked nice!
Do you do English lit for As?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jitesh
The book or the questions that came up? ������
I heard people were glad there was a question about Proctor; the Mary Warren one mustn't have looked nice!
Do you do English lit for As?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both I suppose, I really enjoyed reading the play: I was kind of glad but it was about how he developed through the play and I found it difficult to write about his character in all four acts within the time limit, which meant that I had two and a half sides of paper dedicated to Proctor in Act 1/2/3, then I had to rush Act 4 and my conclusion! (Make sure you do plenty of exam questions for your revision, I can't stress the importance of them enough!)
Yeah, I do - and I'm definitely dropping it at A2 ahaha
Reply 6
Both I suppose, I really enjoyed reading the play: I was kind of glad but it was about how he developed through the play and I found it difficult to write about his character in all four acts within the time limit, which meant that I had two and a half sides of paper dedicated to Proctor in Act 1/2/3, then I had to rush Act 4 and my conclusion! (Make sure you do plenty of exam questions for your revision, I can't stress the importance of them enough!)
Yeah, I do - and I'm definitely dropping it at A2 ahaha

Hahaha I shall! I am going to reread the crucible as we read it so long ago!
I'm glad we don't need to know context for the crucible... I mean, I know a little, and it's useful to understand for themes... But it's so annoying! I don't want to write history essays for TKAM

What poetry cluster did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jitesh
Hahaha I shall! I am going to reread the crucible as we read it so long ago!
I'm glad we don't need to know context for the crucible... I mean, I know a little, and it's useful to understand for themes... But it's so annoying! I don't want to write history essays for TKAM

What poetry cluster did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We did Purple Hibiscus instead of TKAM, still haven't read that fully! The essays get much easier when you practice them honestly, they're not the worst things! We did relationships for poetry, what are you doing?
Reply 8
Original post by Jitesh
Hey guys!

Exam dates (AQA):

I'm doing the relationships anthology then woman in black and mister pip... after reading multiple threads i feel like i'm the only one doing them!!! anyone else??
Reply 9
We did Purple Hibiscus instead of TKAM, still haven't read that fully! The essays get much easier when you practice them honestly, they're not the worst things! We did relationships for poetry, what are you doing?

do you have any good resources lying around by chance, for The Crucible? I can hardly find any online! Cheers if you do :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by aha1
I'm doing the relationships anthology then woman in black and mister pip... after reading multiple threads i feel like i'm the only one doing them!!! anyone else??

I'm not sadly! The Woman in Black is meant to be so good! Some of my friends are though!
There's a lot of schools that do the relationships cluster though!
Have you finished studying them all?
tkam and an inspector calls
and relationships for the poem anthology
I'm doing Of Mice and Men, Lord of the Flies and Conflict. I have to say, I adore Of Mice and Men - not as keen on Lord of the Flies. The Conflict cluster is pretty interesting, though. :smile:

Edit: Am I the only one here doing OMAM? That's suprising, I thought it was one of the more popular choices... :confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Anyone good at English...
Can you analyze 'no' when it is said in command. Like saying it is very constructional and makes you seem like a leader etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aha1

I did mister pip... I really found it boring. Do you like it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by theworkkid
Anyone good at English...
Can you analyze 'no' when it is said in command. Like saying it is very constructional and makes you seem like a leader etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't say I'm that good but...
I would say it is authoritative, shows command and power. Depending on the context, it can portray arrogance I guess...
is this for Spoken Language?
I got 20/20 on that :cool: I just wrote loads and loads about little stuff
Reply 17
Original post by rumana101
tkam and an inspector calls

tkam is fun :smile:

who was your favourite character?
Reply 18
Original post by pursuedbyabear
I'm doing Of Mice and Men, Lord of the Flies and Conflict. I have to say, I adore Of Mice and Men - not as keen on Lord of the Flies. The Conflict cluster is pretty interesting, though. :smile:

Edit: Am I the only one here doing OMAM? That's suprising, I thought it was one of the more popular choices... :confused:

I studied OMAM in year 9... it's a good book to be honest!
It's easier to understand than TKAM... the ending is quite dramatic though :angry:
Original post by Jitesh
tkam is fun :smile:

who was your favourite character?

Atticus, such a good book theres so many themes in it though so questions on the paper could literally be on anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending