The Student Room Group

Stuck on my A -level choices URGENT

Scroll to see replies

Maths (Bio or chem - depending on which you prefer) or history is what I would take.

I studied biology, chemistry and history for A level. I knew I wanted to go into science and medical research so it was easy for me.

Universities look for rounded students, and if asked why you took history you can say its a passion of yours and yo are very interested in it, and they'll like that you're different to the other students that have applied.

Basically, if I was in your position right now, I would study Maths, Biology and History. (I found chemistry harder personally, but if you have a good knack for maths and equations and working out maths problems rather than wordier questions, take chem over bio)
Original post by bamster
;') Thanks yeah I have decided what i am going to choose now, history physics chemistry and maths, the same as you :smile: sorry to ask but are you in year 12?

You are welcome, no probs.. No I am a Yr 11, like you. I got St Catherine's. So yh;']
Reply 22
Original post by King Boo
Maths (Bio or chem - depending on which you prefer) or history is what I would take.

I studied biology, chemistry and history for A level. I knew I wanted to go into science and medical research so it was easy for me.

Universities look for rounded students, and if asked why you took history you can say its a passion of yours and yo are very interested in it, and they'll like that you're different to the other students that have applied.

Basically, if I was in your position right now, I would study Maths, Biology and History. (I found chemistry harder personally, but if you have a good knack for maths and equations and working out maths problems rather than wordier questions, take chem over bio)

Thanks for the advice, yeah I'm going to take chemistry over biology :')
Reply 23
Original post by germanshepherd_
You are welcome, no probs.. No I am a Yr 11, like you. I got St Catherine's. So yh;']

Oh right hahaha :') its a small world
Original post by bamster
Thanks for the advice, yeah I'm going to take chemistry over biology :')

I'd personally say avoid chinese. Languages at A level are significantly more difficult than GCSE, and mandarin is one of the most difficult there is. But if you really enjoy it, take the plunge and swap history for it. But i'd personally go for history, its a solid well respected subject where ever you go, and employers will like that.
Original post by bamster
Oh right hahaha :') its a small world

Yhh it is :biggrin:
Have got similar issue! For A levels i am definitely taking Maths and Chemistry but not sure which two from Physics , Biology and Economics to take. Do I do 3 sciences, a mixture of Economics and a Science and in this case which one Biology or Physics?
Original post by kalamdhesi
Have got similar issue! For A levels i am definitely taking Maths and Chemistry but not sure which two from Physics , Biology and Economics to take. Do I do 3 sciences, a mixture of Economics and a Science and in this case which one Biology or Physics?

I wouldn't do economics and I'd do physics over biology.:tongue:
Reply 28
Original post by King Boo
I'd personally say avoid chinese. Languages at A level are significantly more difficult than GCSE, and mandarin is one of the most difficult there is. But if you really enjoy it, take the plunge and swap history for it. But i'd personally go for history, its a solid well respected subject where ever you go, and employers will like that.

thanks for the help, yeah I'm going to do history :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest