The Student Room Group

Questions about Imperial

Hi medics, I have a question to ask regarding medicine at Imperial. I received an offer recently. However they didn't offer us a tour on that day, so I wasn't able to ask some specific questions about the course. It will be nice if any Imperial medics here can help answer my questions. Many thanks in advance!

My question is
1.) I know that in Year 1, most lectures will be taken place in SK campus (Sir Alexander Building) right? What happens in Year 2-6 specifically?
2.) I heard students usually move to Hammersmith because they have teaching hospitals there, (is that true?) and what about Charing Cross hospital and other hospitals?
3.) How does the accommodation works after first year?

Thanks in advance again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DCMed96
Hi medics, I have a question to ask regarding medicine at Imperial. I received an offer recently. However they didn't offer us a tour on that day, so I wasn't able to ask some specific questions about the course. It will be nice if any Imperial medics here can help answer my questions. Many thanks in advance!

My question is
1.) I know that in Year 1, most lectures will be taken place in SK campus (Sir Alexander Building) right? What happens in Year 2-6 specifically?
2.) I heard students usually move to Hammersmith because they have teaching hospitals there, (is that true?) and what about Charing Cross hospital and other hospitals?
3.) How does the accommodation works after first year?

Thanks in advance again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

1) Year 2 is lecture-based and mainly at Charing Cross Hospital, which is in Hammersmith (N.B. not central London). Hammersmith is also reasonably well located for commuting to all the other hospitals in later years.

In Year 4 your location depends on your BSc.

In Years 3, 5 & 6, you're on placement throughout west London: in theory, there's a balance between inner (Charing Cross, St Mary's, Chelsea & Westminster, Hammersmith) and outer hospitals. Across the clinical years, centralised teaching sessions are commonly, though not exclusively, held at CX.

2) Most students (that aren't living at home) do rent in Hammersmith for proximity to CX, or at least in the same borough - so Fulham, West Kensington, Shepherd's Bush. This is also budget dependent, and so many students live further out, e.g. Acton.

3) There is cheap (for London) accommodation for key workers next to CX that many - though proportionally few - students live in, otherwise see above
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Blatant Troll
1) Year 2 is lecture-based and mainly at Charing Cross Hospital, which is in Hammersmith (N.B. not central London). Hammersmith is also reasonably well located for commuting to all the other hospitals in later years.

In Year 4 your location depends on your BSc.

In Years 3, 5 & 6, you're on placement throughout west London: in theory, there's a balance between inner (Charing Cross, St Mary's, Chelsea & Westminster, Hammersmith) and outer hospitals. Across the clinical years, centralised teaching sessions are commonly, though not exclusively, held at CX.

2) Most students (that aren't living at home) do rent in Hammersmith for proximity to CX, or at least in the same borough - so Fulham, West Kensington, Shepherd's Bush. This is also budget dependent, and so many students live further out, e.g. Acton.

3) There is cheap (for London) accommodation for key workers next to CX that many - though proportionally few - students live in, otherwise see above

Thanks!
Congratulations! :smile:
I'm not a medic myself but hope to be one day so I just have a teeny question I was wondering if you could answer????

I was looking into open days and saw that imperial had an open day just for medicine.

so, I was wondering if you had been to the normal ones in june and attended any medicine talks?? How is the normal day different to people who are attending for medicine????

I don't know whether to go on both days, just april or just june.

Ho are they different? which is more beneficial???

I would be soooo grateful for any help
Reply 4
Original post by cookiemonster15
Congratulations! :smile:
I'm not a medic myself but hope to be one day so I just have a teeny question I was wondering if you could answer????

I was looking into open days and saw that imperial had an open day just for medicine.

so, I was wondering if you had been to the normal ones in june and attended any medicine talks?? How is the normal day different to people who are attending for medicine????

I don't know whether to go on both days, just april or just june.

Ho are they different? which is more beneficial???

I would be soooo grateful for any help

Go to the April one (must go)
Original post by DCMed96
Go to the April one (must go)

Did you go to the june one?? Because I think that all the places are fully booked :frown: was the one in june as useful??

I AM FREAKING OUT!!! I feel like i;ve missed out on so much! Will it make a big difference if I don't go on the april one specifially for medicine?
Reply 6
Original post by cookiemonster15
Did you go to the june one?? Because I think that all the places are fully booked :frown: was the one in june as useful??

I AM FREAKING OUT!!! I feel like i;ve missed out on so much! Will it make a big difference if I don't go on the april one specifially for medicine?

...chill.... you can still get in without going to the open day... not sure about the june one, i went to the april one
Hey,

I'm not pre-med and I don't study at Imperial but I live with a bunch of Imperial students. We all stay with pure student livingthat's based in Hammersmith. And personally I can say there is a hospital near by, because I always see the emergency cars drive past. Honestly it's not as central as it could be but I really like it. It's a nice change from living on campus, you get a lot more independence. I moved after my first year of uni and am really enjoying it. A lot of the other students are second and third years too.

Sorry to hijack your med thread, I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.
Reply 8
Original post by clarisseconnor
Hey,

I'm not pre-med and I don't study at Imperial but I live with a bunch of Imperial students. We all stay with pure student livingthat's based in Hammersmith. And personally I can say there is a hospital near by, because I always see the emergency cars drive past. Honestly it's not as central as it could be but I really like it. It's a nice change from living on campus, you get a lot more independence. I moved after my first year of uni and am really enjoying it. A lot of the other students are second and third years too.

Sorry to hijack your med thread, I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

it is totally fine! glad to know that! So they usually go to lecture by foot?
Original post by DCMed96
it is totally fine! glad to know that! So they usually go to lecture by foot?

I'm not sure if they go by foot, the London weather is unpredictable when it comes to walking. But the tube station is really close, its 4 stops to South Kensington from Hammersmith so about an 8 minute travel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending