The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

How good is Reading's Computer Science course?

Hey guys,

So, I've been given an unconditional offer from Reading to do the Computer Science with Industrial Year course.

I'm in a dilemma as originally I was going to just insure Lancaster but upon getting this offer, I've begun looking more into Reading and its course. I'm still leaning towards Lancaster even though it's conditional but I just want to get more of a sense of Reading's offering.

My questions are:

How maths intensive are the modules available? (I love maths :P)
What is the teaching like, are the lecturers understandable?
How much emphasis is there on theory vs practical? (I prefer more theory)
What kind of employers recruit from the department?
What are the facilities like?

Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't have anything to add here regarding the course content, but I've also been given an unconditional offer to study Computer science at Reading! If anybody has any experience in the course, I'd also like to know a bit about it.

Cheers!
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
It would appear that I am in the same boat as you guys! I know that Reading has great links with industry if you're doing a placement year and in general it is well set out for university life, but in terms of the course and such I have no idea.

Just out of curiosity, did you guys have conditional offers and then received an email saying you now have an unconditional?
Reply 3
@Ikmrrs: Yes, I also had a conditional which later changed to unconditional! Have either of you been to a uni open day / applicant day?
Reply 4
I've had a look about online at Reading's Computer Science course. While it's no replacement for first-hand experience, both Unistats and Which? University have fairly good reviews of it, with Which?'s here: http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-reading-r12/computer-science-4-years-9000-g401-62764 and Unistats here: https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/satisfaction/10007802FT-UFCSWIYB/ReturnTo/Search

The course compares favourably, or on par with, equivalent courses at universities of a similar calibre (in terms of UCAS points / entry grades and league rankings). So it looks pretty promising! Employment prospects seem good, as well as student satisfaction and facilities/resources.

Note: This is for the 4 year "sandwich" course with a year in industry. Don't know if you two are doing that or a straight 3 year degree?

Any thoughts / experience is welcome!
Original post by BnMcG
I've had a look about online at Reading's Computer Science course. While it's no replacement for first-hand experience, both Unistats and Which? University have fairly good reviews of it, with Which?'s here: http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-reading-r12/computer-science-4-years-9000-g401-62764 and Unistats here: https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/satisfaction/10007802FT-UFCSWIYB/ReturnTo/Search

The course compares favourably, or on par with, equivalent courses at universities of a similar calibre (in terms of UCAS points / entry grades and league rankings). So it looks pretty promising! Employment prospects seem good, as well as student satisfaction and facilities/resources.

Note: This is for the 4 year "sandwich" course with a year in industry. Don't know if you two are doing that or a straight 3 year degree?

Any thoughts / experience is welcome!

It's the sandwich course.

I've already seen the stats and stuff. I really want to know more about the course itself, what the content is like from a first hand point of view.

The prospects are great but I fear the course isn't as mathsy/theoretical as I'd like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Princepieman
It's the sandwich course.

I've already seen the stats and stuff. I really want to know more about the course itself, what the content is like from a first hand point of view.

The prospects are great but I fear the course isn't as mathsy/theoretical as I'd like.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can see the modules that they teach on the Reading website if that's any help? Not first hand experience, but you can at least see what kind of modules are on offer!
Reply 7
This is starting to worry me a little, I also had a conditional offer to study computer science at Reading and then received an email notifying me that I now had an unconditional offer.
Is anyone else finding this a little weird? Or is this normal?
Original post by bathquan
This is starting to worry me a little, I also had a conditional offer to study computer science at Reading and then received an email notifying me that I now had an unconditional offer.
Is anyone else finding this a little weird? Or is this normal?

Yep, I was really surprised by it to be honest! I still don't know if I should insure them or not. What are your thoughts?

It might be because their course is under-subscribed and they are trying to entice more people with this offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Yep, I was really surprised by it to be honest! I still don't know if I should insure them or not. What are your thoughts?

It might be because their course is under-subscribed and they are trying to entice more people with this offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was initially worried that they sent me the offer by mistake, but I emailed them back about it and it seems to be genuine. I think I'll make it my first choice as my A levels aren't going great (I only got CBB last year) due to me being completely uninterested in my other subjects apart from computing!
I'm a little worried if their course is under-subscribed, I'm assuming it's just because of not many people taking an interest in computer science and not people not thinking Reading has a good computer science course. That's what I'm hoping anyways! I haven't managed to visit the university yet so I'm not sure.
(edited 9 years ago)
I was initially worried that they sent me the offer by mistake, but I emailed them back about it and it seems to be genuine. I think I'll make it my first choice as my A levels aren't going great (I only got CBB last year) due to me being completely uninterested in my other subjects apart from computing!
I'm a little worried that their course is under-subscribed, I'm assuming it's just because of not many people taking an interest in computer science apart from people not thinking Reading has a good computer science course. That's what I'm hoping anyways! I haven't managed to visit the university yet so I'm not sure.

I originally applied for the AI program and they switched my offer to the Comp Sci one. I've sent them an email about whether it'd be possible to switch over when I'm there, if they say yes it'll be my insurance for sure.

Ah right, I got ABBCC (Scottish Highers) last year so we're fairly similar - albeit I had extenuating circumstances. This year I'm on track for AABa (3 Advanced Highers and a Higher) so my firm is Nottingham.

Where else did you apply to? I'm yet to visit Lancaster or Reading - but I feel Lancaster has the better facilities.
Reply 11
I originally applied for the AI program and they switched my offer to the Comp Sci one. I've sent them an email about whether it'd be possible to switch over when I'm there, if they say yes it'll be my insurance for sure.

Ah right, I got ABBCC (Scottish Highers) last year so we're fairly similar - albeit I had extenuating circumstances. This year I'm on track for AABa (3 Advanced Highers and a Higher) so my firm is Nottingham.

Where else did you apply to? I'm yet to visit Lancaster or Reading - but I feel Lancaster has the better facilities.

I had extenuating circumstances of my own last year but I can't pretend that's the reasons for my grades slipping this year - I'm just finding it hard to keep doing maths and music along with comp sci when I'm just not interested anymore :/

I applied to Cardiff, Swansea, Exeter, and Aberystwyth (as a safety net). Out of those my firm choice up until now has been Swansea since it's close to home (I'm an anxious person and have been worried about moving far away) had a reasonable offer and I liked the feel of it more than the others.

This has thrown me completely but for me it's looking like I'll be accepting Reading's unconditional offer, it seems like a nicer place than Swansea and it means I can relax a little and stop stressing myself until I'm ill!
I had extenuating circumstances of my own last year but I can't pretend that's the reasons for my grades slipping this year - I'm just finding it hard to keep doing maths and music along with comp sci when I'm just not interested anymore :/

I applied to Cardiff, Swansea, Exeter, and Aberystwyth (as a safety net). Out of those my firm choice up until now has been Swansea since it's close to home (I'm an anxious person and have been worried about moving far away) had a reasonable offer and I liked the feel of it more than the others.

This has thrown me completely but for me it's looking like I'll be accepting Reading's unconditional offer, it seems like a nicer place than Swansea and it means I can relax a little and stop stressing myself until I'm ill!

I'm finding Computing really dull at the moment, mostly because I know all the course already and the people in my class aren't really making an effort to understand the theory. That said, still managed 96% in the prelim - so I'm not worried.

I understand you, to an extent. I've developed a new found love for Maths and Physics and am on track for As in them vs the Cs last year. The killer is French. I can't deal with all these essays, vocabulary tests, and speaking assessments - I used to be really good but now I've slipped majorly.

Those are all decent unis! Reading sounds like a nice place to live and the connections to London are great. I'm sure you'll have a good time there if you decide to go! :smile: Hell, It's about 600 miles away for me, so I know the feeling.

How come you aren't enjoying maths as much? I thought Comp Sci was quite a mathdy degree?
Reply 13
I'm finding Computing really dull at the moment, mostly because I know all the course already and the people in my class aren't really making an effort to understand the theory. That said, still managed 96% in the prelim - so I'm not worried.

I understand you, to an extent. I've developed a new found love for Maths and Physics and am on track for As in them vs the Cs last year. The killer is French. I can't deal with all these essays, vocabulary tests, and speaking assessments - I used to be really good but now I've slipped majorly.

Those are all decent unis! Reading sounds like a nice place to live and the connections to London are great. I'm sure you'll have a good time there if you decide to go! :smile: Hell, It's about 600 miles away for me, so I know the feeling.

How come you aren't enjoying maths as much? I thought Comp Sci was quite a mathdy degree?

I'm enjoying computing, mostly because I just love programming and coding!

I guess I should have elaborated more - I took physics at the start of my AS year and so was put into the Maths-Mechanics class which meant doing a mechanics module that I never got around to changing. Through some combination of awful teachers and a disinterest in physics, I've come to really hate the subject! Core maths is fine, I just have such a workload with music already that finding the time needed to do well in maths is pretty hard.

The connections are a huge plus! I guess the major con of going to Reading is being 2 and a half hours away from my long term girlfriend, although we started long distance so we have a big chance of pulling through. I'm also not keen on the idea of making such a big life choice based on my girlfriend, we both agree that'd be silly at this age!
I'm enjoying computing, mostly because I just love programming and coding!

I guess I should have elaborated more - I took physics at the start of my AS year and so was put into the Maths-Mechanics class which meant doing a mechanics module that I never got around to changing. Through some combination of awful teachers and a disinterest in physics, I've come to really hate the subject! Core maths is fine, I just have such a workload with music already that finding the time needed to do well in maths is pretty hard.

The connections are a huge plus! I guess the major con of going to Reading is being 2 and a half hours away from my long term girlfriend, although we started long distance so we have a big chance of pulling through. I'm also not keen on the idea of making such a big life choice based on my girlfriend, we both agree that'd be silly at this age!

Haha, same here. So much so that I learnt Python while everyone else was stuck fiddling around with Visual Basic. What languages do you know?

Ah, that makes sense! Mechanics seems a bit pointless for CS to be fair. I feel the same for French, :frown: I have a speaking exam in two weeks with a live examiner and I'm stressing.

N'aww, that's cute. :o: I love your outlook though, I see so many people around my age basing huge decisions on their (most often new) relationships only to be disappointed later on. I wish the best for you and your girlfriend, regardless! :smile:
Reply 15
I haven't learnt any other languages in full but I'm in the process of learning Python and Java, I wanted to learn at least one more language before uni!
Yeah mechanics really hasn't got anything to do with what I want to do in the future, but I'm kind of stuck with it now :frown:

I don't blame you for stressing, languages are so hard I could never even try to do French A level!

Exactly! I've had a friend tell me she was thinking of changing her university choice for her boyfriend of four months the other day, it's just sad. Thank you! I'm trying not to be naive about it since I know most relationships don't last through even the first year of university, but me and my girlfriend are such a good match that I have a lot of hope for us! We lasted through her living 5,000 miles away in the Middle East for a period of time so I'm not too worried about being long distance again :smile:
Reply 16
Sorry, I lost track of this thread for a few days!

I'm going to the computer science applicant day on the 21st March to have a look around the computer science facilities (hopefully!) and learn a bit more about the course. I'm also finding it odd that there are so many unconditional offers... Here's hoping the facilities & course live up to expectations! So how many of you guys are thinking of putting Reading as your firm place?

Princepieman, I also do French so I might be able to help you a little with French maybe if you're stressing?

Ninja edit:
Times University Guide says Reading is 41st (up from 39th) last year in the country for computer science, in comparison with Queen Mary (the other university I looked at) which is 35th. Obviously a bit of an apples to oranges comparison, but I was fairly impressed with the facilities there, so hopefully Reading will have some decent facilities, too. Some of the numbers seem a little flaky, but even if you look at the top positions (eg: 1-10th), the numbers are fairly varied, too, so I'm not sure how much this means in practice?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by BnMcG
Sorry, I lost track of this thread for a few days!

I'm going to the computer science applicant day on the 21st March to have a look around the computer science facilities (hopefully!) and learn a bit more about the course. I'm also finding it odd that there are so many unconditional offers... Here's hoping the facilities & course live up to expectations! So how many of you guys are thinking of putting Reading as your firm place?

Princepieman, I also do French so I might be able to help you a little with French maybe if you're stressing?

I'm very strongly considering putting Reading as my firm place! I don't think I'll be able to make it to the visit day since I live pretty far away and all my coursework deadlines are that week!
Hey this might be a lot to ask, but do you think you could sort of report back to this thread about how it went and what the course and facilities were like? I'd be so grateful if you could!
Reply 18

Hey this might be a lot to ask, but do you think you could sort of report back to this thread about how it went and what the course and facilities were like? I'd be so grateful if you could!

I will definitely report back, and also try and snap a few pictures if it's allowed. See my ninja edit on the original post for a bit of a numbers comparison with a university I've visited.

I've visited the university itself before, just not the computer science facilities, so I can talk a bit about those from what I saw if you like? Which accommodation halls were you thinking of staying in if you did go to Reading?
Reply 19
Original post by BnMcG
I will definitely report back, and also try and snap a few pictures if it's allowed. See my ninja edit on the original post for a bit of a numbers comparison with a university I've visited.

I've visited the university itself before, just not the computer science facilities, so I can talk a bit about those from what I saw if you like? Which accommodation halls were you thinking of staying in if you did go to Reading?

That'd be amazing thanks, that's a huge help! :biggrin:
I haven't had a chance to visit the university at all so I really don't know much about it, what did you think about it?
I'm really not sure about halls, the price for en-suite accommodation kind of shocked me when I looked it up. I really want an en-suite because I need my own private space to put my contact lenses in, do face masks, make-up, all that sort of girly stuff, but I might have to settle for shared accommodation if I decide I really can't afford it. The premium on-suite accommodation in the newest hall looks pretty amazing though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending