The Student Room Group

Biomedical Science 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Uz25
Are u a secondary school teacher or a primary school teacher?

I'm a secondary school teacher who also teaches at primary schools as a private business through workshops.
Original post by Uz25
There's also an undergraduate degree: secondary science education

This is essentially a PGCE with a science focus and so negates the need for a first degree.

The bottom line, for the purpose of this discussion, is that it's only if you want to teach in a secondary school that you need to be educated to degree level in the subject you're wanting to teach and to have a teaching qualification.
Ok so I probs asked same q so many times.

What careers would this course lead to ?

I know you can become:
Scientist
Perfusionist
Teacher
Biomedical engineer

Is there anything
I studied biomed and the people I know are taking several paths. Many are going into further education, i.e. PhDs to pursue research, either in industry or in the lab. Many people also go for graduate medicine.

If you do an accredited course you can become a biomedical scientist in the NHS.

Quite a few have gone on to graduate schemes, i.e. GSK and other pharmaceutical companies.

I know quite a few teachers and many people are doing unrelated graduate jobs, e.g. marketing.

There are decent prospects with a biomed degree, but a few involve further study.
Original post by Going_To_California
I studied biomed and the people I know are taking several paths. Many are going into further education, i.e. PhDs to pursue research, either in industry or in the lab. Many people also go for graduate medicine.

If you do an accredited course you can become a biomedical scientist in the NHS.

Quite a few have gone on to graduate schemes, i.e. GSK and other pharmaceutical companies.

I know quite a few teachers and many people are doing unrelated graduate jobs, e.g. marketing.

There are decent prospects with a biomed degree, but a few involve further study.

Hmm okay . What did you do after biomed
Original post by Uz25
Hmm okay . What did you do after biomed

I'm starting grad med next month.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm starting grad med next month.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my days! See most people just go onto medicine
Original post by Uz25
Oh my days! See most people just go onto medicine

It sometimes seems like that's the case! I think one issue is biomed doesn't necessarily lead to a specific career, and to do research you need to do further study.
It sometimes seems like that's the case! I think one issue is biomed doesn't necessarily lead to a specific career, and to do research you need to do further study.

Yeah that's why I sometimes think of not doing that
Original post by Uz25
Ok so I probs asked same q so many times.

What careers would this course lead to ?

I know you can become:
Scientist
Perfusionist
Teacher
Biomedical engineer

Is there anything

Hi,

Just merging your several threads on the same topic. In future please post about this topic in this thread only so that you can keep track of all the replies you've got.

Cheers
Original post by alleycat393
Hi,

Just merging your several threads on the same topic. In future please post about this topic in this thread only so that you can keep track of all the replies you've got.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice but no one has commented on this thread for a while. Therefore I made new threads.

I'll follow your advice and see how it goes!
:smile:
Original post by Uz25
Thanks for the advice but no one has commented on this thread for a while. Therefore I made new threads.

I'll follow your advice and see how it goes!
:smile:

I'm not advising you. I'm telling you that we will merge all threads that you create on the same topic to keep the forum tidy so please don't create extra threads.
I'm not advising you. I'm telling you that we will merge all threads that you create on the same topic to keep the forum tidy so please don't create extra threads.

Wow sounds bossy but ok!
Original post by Uz25
Wow sounds bossy but ok!

Well unfortunately we do have to get bossy if being polite and simply explaining something to someone doesn't work. Like I've said before, if you don't like how TSR works please feel free to stop using it!
Hello I don't want to go into a lab based career.

I'm considering the following course:
I'm either applying for
Dietetics,biochem and biomedicalscience

Or radiography.

Could anyone give me a list of non lab based careers biomedical science and biochemistry lead to?

:smile: :smile: :smile:
Merged with your other thread on the same topic.
Merged with your other thread on the same topic.

Thanks :smile:. Do you know any good response to my question ?:smile:
We've had several discussions about this. Unfortunately I no longer have the time to enter into more with you. Sorry.
We've had several discussions about this. Unfortunately I no longer have the time to enter into more with you. Sorry.

Yh I wouldn't ask the question again if I obtained good responses. To what I've understood is that biomed and biochem leads to a limited non lab based careers in science. Most are just: perfusionist,medical writer or become a clinical scientist. Are there any specific careers it could lead to?I know if I do a year degree in dietetics after I can become a dietician. .
Original post by Uz25
Yh I wouldn't ask the question again if I obtained good responses.

What constitutes a 'good' response exactly? You've had pretty high quality and honest responses from students and professionals alike on this forum. It seems kind of rude to dismiss the people who have put a lot of effort into trying to help you.

TSR is populated mostly by students, teachers, or other professionals in their own field, if you're looking for specific careers advice tailored to your personal likes/dislikes then you'd probably be better off talking to an adviser at your college, or your tutors. The advice you'll find here will frequently have mild bias, since people will generally promote their own subject area. This is great and all, but it also means they aren't too able to advise you beyond what they know.

If you aren't getting "good responses" despite asking the same thing over and over again (as per this thread), then perhaps you are the one not asking 'right' questions.

Perhaps you need to narrow down what it is you're looking for, and be more specific.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending