The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Newnham College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Ooh, definitely the beg-on-your-knees part. That'll do the trick. Thanks for the tip! :wink:

I'm slightly worried, still (like most applicants), and I feel like I haven't read enough (like many applicants seem to feel!). I *might* have an "excuse" for that, as I'm not from the UK and hence haven' studied English Literature at school (which is such a shame), but that sounds like a poor "excuse" to me :s-smilie:. Anyway, you can't do anything but your best and you can't be anyone but yourself. So, my goal is to have fun, get a feel of the place and be myself, haha. :smile:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 181
Ain't english the shazzzang!?

Yes, obviously! :biggrin: :smile:
Reply 182
Don't worry Bumper -- not many applicants feel "well read". Nor undergraduates, for that matter...*looks concernedly at self*!
And it's good that you're not panicking. Panic is a useless response to situations that need to be dealt with calmly. And anyway, you're not being chased by a bear (I hope)! S'all good. :smile: :wink:
Reply 183
I hope I'm not being chased by a bear... *looks around agitated and paranoid* :smile:
hey I was a newnham aplicant until they rejected me tee hee! No hard feelings tho, its still the prettiest college in Cam!
Reply 185
I'm really sorry they rejected you:frown:. But yeah, Newnham's definitely prettiest! (Like a gigantic piece of wedding cake... kind of)
ha ha ha I like that tee hee!
Reply 187
hey, i am a newnham applicant... :smile:

does anyone know whether newnham gives scholarships to their students?
i have heard that some older colleges give really huge scholarships to EU students...
Reply 188
Hey turi!:smile: I think I remember you from some thread you started... about open applications, methinks. Are you applying for maths? When will you be in Cambridge? I'm flying over tomorrow to be interviewed on Wednesday. :smile:

Oh, and I'm an EU student too! (though not from France) I'm not very knowledgeable in the field of Cambridge scholarships, though...
Hey, I've booked a train to get to Cambridge for my interview, but cant find a map which includes the route from the actual train station to Newnham College! Can anybody help me out, please?
Reply 190
I think epitome's the one to ask... Are you sure there's nothing available on Cambridge's website, or perhaps Google Maps? The train station is quite far from Newnham, but I'm sure it's possible to walk provided that you're not the epitome of laziness. :smile: You know what, ask epitome, she's a good bet! :smile:
Reply 191
I seem to remember I got the bus from the train station to the centre of town last year, then walked from there... don't you get a map sent with your interview info?
Reply 192
Stressed Chick
Hey, I've booked a train to get to Cambridge for my interview, but cant find a map which includes the route from the actual train station to Newnham College! Can anybody help me out, please?

Okay, well you should be able to get hld of a map of town at the train station (that, at least, would make some sense!). But I can't guarantee it. Here's what I can find on the web -- just so you know, the postcode of the station is CB1 2JW, and CB3 9DF for Newnham -- have a look at these:

Cambridge City Council: http://www.cambridge.gov.uk/ccm/content/itcm/maps/inner-city-map.en
(Train station in bottom right. Newnham is in the lower-middle, on the left of the page. It is NOT marked on there. Here are directions: See where it says "Silver Street" on the very left [just underneath Queens' College]? That road actually extends in a straight line beyond the junction [it's a 4-way junction, not a T-junction], and Silver Street merges into Sidgwick Avenue. Newnham College is on the left-hand side of Sidgwick Avenue, about 2 minutes from that junction with Queens' Road).

Or try this, which is more detailed:
http://www.camcycle.org.uk/map/route/
It's a way of designing cycle routes, but if you search from "train station" as your starting point (and then select "Cambridge Train Station" from the list); and "Sidgwick Avenue" as your finishing point (it doesn't recognise Newnham...), you will see how they're placed in relation to one another. You can then zoom in to see the street names (and write yourself a list of instructions or something!).

Sorry, I can't find anything more helpful than that. It's about a 40 minute walk (well, it takes me 25 and some poeple 1 hour...so I'm guessing 40!). Alternatively, you could ask a nice bus driver to help you get off at the right stop (making sure you're on a bus that goes near college!); or get a taxi, which would cost about £8. I'm not a fan of taxis, generally, but it you're pressed for time it might be the best idea. If, however, you have hours in which to go for a bit of a wander, then you might as well walk!

Good luck, and say hello when you arrive! I'll be around quite a lot...ask for epitome, someone will know (it's not my nickname, but enough people know my TSR pseudonym that eventually you'll figure it out if you want to)! :wink: :smile:
Reply 193
Newnham's definitely prettiest! (Like a gigantic piece of wedding cake..

Um...!!
Reply 194
turi
does anyone know whether newnham gives scholarships to their students?
i have heard that some older colleges give really huge scholarships to EU students..

Hi Turi,
I don't know the answer to that. If it's very important you find out what's available, drop the Newnham Admissions Office an email (though bear in mind that they're VERY busy sorting interviews at the moment, so might take a while to get back to you -- so if it's not really important, leave it a few weeks just to give them a bit of space!).

Scholarships are most often given out on the basis of academic achievement once you're here and have done exams/a year -- and these are given to international and home students alike. Grants (which I *think* is the word we would use for 'scholarship' in the way you mean it, though I'm really not sure) for European students do exist in one form or another, but I have no idea if they come from college, the University, the European Council, or some other body. A fair number of Europeans have extra money of one kind or another, but I'm not sure where they're getting it from -- sorry!
Stressed Chick

Walk out of the station along Station Road (pretty much the only road coming out of the station), at the end turn right up Hills Road, then turn left into Lensfield Road at the big church, continue to the end and then turn right up Trumpington Street, then take a left down Silver St, carry on over the Cam to another set of traffic lights, go straight on into Sidgwick Avenue and then Newnham will appear on the left.

PS A map would probably still help though of course....
Hey thanks to everyone who told me how to get there.... found the map, got there with plenty of time to spare, and found my way back, and am now gonna just relax! Thanks guys, much appreciated
epitome, which 'sheepdog' were you? I was up there today(the one in the lime green jumper if you saw me!) and I absolutely LOVED Newnham! It's even more amazing than I remember! And all the 'sheepdogs' were really nice!:biggrin:
Reply 198
epitome, which 'sheepdog' were you? I was up there today(the one in the lime green jumper if you saw me!) and I absolutely LOVED Newnham! It's even more amazing than I remember! And all the 'sheepdogs' were really nice!

Glad you liked it! :smile:
Er, not sure entirely how to describe myself...and I remember at least 2 green jumpers! If you PM me your actual name I'll probably remember you! Anyway, good to hear the sheepdogs were helpful. Woof!
Yeah I agree the sheepdogs were really helpful, and I loved Newnham, it really is breathtaking and the support system is really good- Trying not to get too attached really didn't work.

I know we're not supposed to talk about interviews so I don't want to ask about anything specific, or about questions but, is is true that if you think you did badly you normally get in, and if you think you did well you normally get rejected? Has anyone felt like they're really not sure if they did well or not? (Blank faced interviewers!) And my friend thinks her interview went really well, has anyone on here actually found thier interview not too difficult but actually got in? The waiting is so long!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending