The Student Room Group

Official: University of Cambridge A100 Applicant and Offer Holder thread 2023 Entry

Welcome to the University of Cambridge A100 2023 Entry Discussion.

For general information click:
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/medicine-graduate-course

For entry requirements click:
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/medicine-graduate-course#entry-requirements

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, mention or advertise group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

My GCSEs were 999998876 and in predicted three A* (maths bio chem). If I get a good enough bmat would this be ok - im kind of worried abt my GCSEs 😭
hi! i’m (hopefully) applying this year to Cambridge, currently preparing for the BMAT :smile:

my stats:

- iGCSEs: 9A* (CIE, so letter grades)
- predicted grades: not finalised yet, likely to be A*A*A*A* in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths

good luck everyone 😭 barely a week in and year 13 already hits hard
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by flip_flop289
My GCSEs were 999998876 and in predicted three A* (maths bio chem). If I get a good enough bmat would this be ok - im kind of worried abt my GCSEs 😭

i’m pretty sure you’ll be perfectly fine your GCSEs are really good :smile:
Hi,

I understand that for Cambridge min. predicted grade requirement is A*A*A.

Do you think A* in chemistry is required for selection of interview or an offer? Some Cambridge medical schools have mentioned this on their webpage but some haven't.
Like, "A Level (or equivalent) Chemistry is required, and it is usual for Fitzwilliam College to specify that one A* grade should be in Chemistry."

Do you think all cambridge medical schools give preference to those applicants with A* (predicted/ actual) grade in chemistry compared to applicants with A in chem (and A* in Bio & Maths/Phy)?

**Assumed BMAT/ interview scores are in same range.
I'm looking to apply to Cambridge
NI Candidate
Achieved GCSE 10 A* (Chem, Bio, Physics, Math, English Lit, English Lang, French, RE, History, ICT) A - Further Maths
Achieved AS Levels-4 A (Chem, Bio, Physics, Math)
Predicted A Levels- 4 A* (Chem, Bio. Physics, Math)

What sort of BMAT score should I be aiming for to be able to be shortlisted for an interview?
Reply 6
Do I have a good chance at getting into Cambridge, providing these stats and a great BMAT score? I'm non contextual.

GCSE's: 99998888888
9s- Chemistry, Physics, Geography, Business
8s- Maths, English Lit, English Lang, Biology, French, Computer Science, RE

AS Levels: AAAA (Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology) - Dropping Physics at A2
I haven't got my predicted grades but my school said they will give the predicted grades necessary for the courses I'm applying to, so hopefully at least A*A*A
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Original post by abz69
Do I have a good chance at getting into Cambridge, providing these stats and a great BMAT score? I'm non contextual.

GCSE's: 999988888886
9s- Chemistry, Physics, Geography, Business
8s- Maths, English Lit, English Lang, Biology, French, Computer Science, RE
6 - Level 2 Further Maths Certificate

AS Levels: AAAA (Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology) - Dropping Physics at A2
I haven't got my predicted grades but my school said they will give the predicted grades necessary for the courses I'm applying to, so hopefully at least A*A*A?

Yes, you have a good chance of getting an interview, but getting a great BMAT score is easier said than done.
Reply 8
Original post by flip_flop289

Cambridge doesn't really give that much of a toss about GCSEs.

The only significant thing they care about GCSEs is how well you did in your top 8 GCSEs compared to other people in your year to put your results into context.
Reply 9
Original post by tom_time
Hi,

I understand that for Cambridge min. predicted grade requirement is A*A*A.

Do you think A* in chemistry is required for selection of interview or an offer? Some Cambridge medical schools have mentioned this on their webpage but some haven't.
Like, "A Level (or equivalent) Chemistry is required, and it is usual for Fitzwilliam College to specify that one A* grade should be in Chemistry."

Do you think all cambridge medical schools give preference to those applicants with A* (predicted/ actual) grade in chemistry compared to applicants with A in chem (and A* in Bio & Maths/Phy)?

**Assumed BMAT/ interview scores are in same range.

Look at this.
Hello everyone, :smile:

As you may have noticed, this thread owner is @TSR George - an account used by TSR for several purposes including as a placeholder when a thread owner wishes to delete their account.

If you would like to be the new first post in this thread - you can!
To do this, please tag @04MR17 or @StrawberryDreams in this thread and ask for the OP to be changed to you.
Please do this if you would like to add additional resources into the OP and intend to stay around on the forums during the application cycle.

The owner of a thread will only be changed once - except if an OP deletes their account.

Please allow 48 hours for your request to be seen and actioned. This message will be posted into each of the 2023 applicants threads currently owned by TSR George.

Thanks all,

MR
Reply 11
Does anyone know what a competitive BMAT score for Cambridge is??
Original post by rw14_
Does anyone know what a competitive BMAT score for Cambridge is??

i know someone who got in with 5.1, 6.3! so probably a total of 11+
Hey! do you know which college that might have been + if they had any contextual flags?
Original post by nightingalegend
Original post by lavely
Hey! do you know which college that might have been + if they had any contextual flags?

it was Newnham, and no contextual flags :smile:
for anyone who is in the process of completing their My Cambridge Application form, have you filled out the 'additional personal statement' section? if so, what type of thing have you put? I'm not sure if it would add anything to my overall application if I were to write anything for it
Thanks!
it was Newnham, and no contextual flags :smile:

Would that 11 have to be spread evenly between Sections 1 and 2? For example, would a 7 and a 4 suffice, or would they seek a more balanced score
Original post by velvetica
Would that 11 have to be spread evenly between Sections 1 and 2? For example, would a 7 and a 4 suffice, or would they seek a more balanced score

honestly i have no idea, i suppose it’s hard to determine a set cut-off score because Cambridge Admissions aren’t formulaic as, say, Oxford is.

@Peterhouse Admissions?
A balanced score is probably more likely to happen as a 7 is extremely good and a 4 is average so someone getting a 7 would most likely at least get a 5/6 in the other section but thats just my opinion.

Am I right in thinking high GCSE'S and Predicted A-Levels would compensate for a lower BMAT score?
Original post by velvetica

Also does anyone think its weird that like very little people seem to be applying for the A100 at cam this year? Like theres very little ppl on the student room applying as far as I can tell

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending