The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Newnham College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
whizkid
Can u tell me if there are any extra kitchen appliances I need to bring other than the usual plates, spoons and stuff.

Am sure that won't be the last question. :wink:

Hmm, tricky to say -- it really depends what you want to do, foodwise. So, the very basic is whatever YOU need to eat a meal that someone else (lovely friends) cook - plate, bowl, knifeforkspoon, mug. After that, it depends. I take a lot of kitchen stuff, because I self-cater almost entirely and I also frequently cook for other people (so, it's helpful if I have several plates/sets of cutlery/mugs, etc.). If you're going to do any cooking, you'll want a pan or two, or a wok or frying pan (depends how seriously you're going to take it - if you get a big pan/wok they tend to be flexible, which is helpful). Then you'll need a wooden spoon or spatula or whatever.
This all rather depends on how and what you cook! One of my lovely neighbours last year was Chinese and she cooked using a whole different set of things. :smile:

More basically, if you like toast, a toaster might be a good idea. What's happened the last 3 years in my kitchen is that someone's just put their toaster in there and it's become the communal one. But you can't necessarily guarantee that that will happen. You can get cheap ones from Sainsbury's when you arrive, if you don't want to bring one. *No toasters in rooms*, because we prefer Newnham to not go up in flames.

The other thing is a kettle. If you're allergic to hot things, this will be unnecessary. For everyone else, it's pretty crucial. I don't actually know anyone without a kettle in their room or in the kitchen. You won't be an outcast if you don't have one, but you might find yourself tealess, which is worse. :wink:
(Unlike toasters, people *tend* to keep kettles in their rooms, so it's less common to have a communal one).

I think that probably gives you a decent idea. That is, it's really up to you! You can get lots of cheap kitchen things from Sainsbury's, which is helpful and means you can 'play it by ear' if you like. There's also a second-hand kitchen sale organised by Housekeeping in college in the first few weeks, where they sell off all the stuff people left in kitchens last year. :smile:

NB: Electrical applicances. These will all be PAT safety-tested during the first term. This is standard procedure, as well as being legally necessary. Things are made much easier if you make sure anything you bring with you is legal/safe. (So, if it's throwing up sparks, best leave it at home!). They'll test any computers/printers/desklamps (including those provided by college)/hairstraighteners/hairdryers, etc., which is pretty cool! :smile:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 581
Would you recommend bringing another desk lamp, or does it entirely depend on what room you get?

So far I have 2 glasses, 2 mugs, 2 towels, 2 flannels, a peeler, a tin opener and a spatula! :P
It's going well..
Reply 582
yemil
Would you recommend bringing another desk lamp, or does it entirely depend on what room you get?

Good thinking, badger! Yes, another light is a very good idea indeed, if you have or can get hold of such a thing reasonably. Most rooms are okay, light-wise, but not necessarily brilliant (depends what you're used to).

And I'm obviously not going to suggest that you buy 100W light bulbs (to replace college's standard 60W ones whilst you're in the room), because that is against Housekeeping's rules. But, you know, if I *were* to be talking about lights, and if I *were* naughty, then perhaps I might mention 100W light bulbs a couple of times, hoping the hint gets through, ever so subtly. If anyone were to do this, though, they would want to see what kind of bulb-fitting their lights have before investing in 100W bulbs. Which of course they will not do, because everyone should follow Housekeeping's rules.

Ahem.
Reply 583
Haha!
Oh right.. it's all clear now!
Reply 584
epitome: you are amazing! I keep checking back on this thread every few days or so to read your fantastically informative posts and make notes on how many teaspoons to bring etc! So thankyou!

Engineers have to arrive on the 1st October- so does this mean we're arriving 5 days before others? I presume we get our rooms straight away as it didn't say anything about overnight bags etc but other letters said that no freshers will get their rooms before the 5th...

And also, are there any Newnham engineers hovering around? How are you finding the preparitory booklet? Or are you like me and haven't started it yet... :P
Reply 585
jenibaby
epitome: you are amazing! I keep checking back on this thread every few days or so to read your fantastically informative posts and make notes on how many teaspoons to bring etc! So thankyou!

Engineers have to arrive on the 1st October- so does this mean we're arriving 5 days before others? I presume we get our rooms straight away as it didn't say anything about overnight bags etc but other letters said that no freshers will get their rooms before the 5th...

Optimum teaspoon quantity is 5.48, but a little more or less isn't going to be fatal. :wink:

Yep, you'll be up a few days before the big rush (be very grateful for this - it puts you at a distinct advantage). And you will be put in your proper room, yes. (Unless something has gone horribly, horribly wrong with the organisation. It might be worth checking nearer the time that you *will* be moving into your proper rooms, just so you know for sure!). Increasingly, though, more and more people freshers have reason to come up early -- Mathmos & Eningeers to do some Fun Sums; Classicists to do their Greek; MMLers for...some reason...So there's a fair crew of you, don't worry!
Reply 586
jenibaby

And also, are there any Newnham engineers hovering around? How are you finding the preparitory booklet? Or are you like me and haven't started it yet... :P

im a newnham engineer, i just happen to be starting in 09 and noni havnt started the booklet either! lol
Reply 587
epitome
Am sure that won't be the last question. :wink:

How right you are epitome!! Here are some more questions for you. :o:

Are personal computers/laptops essential in uni?? Will it be difficult to cope if I dont have my own laptop? Also, if I do bring my laptop,is it necessary to get a internet connection in my room or can I access it from the library/computer room??

I'm sorry for badgering you with all these questions but they just keep coming in waves. :frown:

Thanks epitome... you are the best! :smile:
Reply 588
whizkid
How right you are epitome!! Here are some more questions for you.

Are personal computers/laptops essential in uni?? Will it be difficult to cope if I dont have my own laptop? Also, if I do bring my laptop,is it necessary to get a internet connection in my room or can I access it from the library/computer room??

I'm sorry for badgering you with all these questions but they just keep coming in waves.

Stop apologising for asking questions and just get on and ask them! You're about to spend the next three years asking questions (hopefully) -- get used to it! :wink:

And anyway, they're good questions.
You're a Bio Natsci, so a computer is less essential for your work than it is for arts students (who are constantly having to type essays, whereas lots of science students seem to handwrite much of the time). There is a computer room in the library (and there was another one too, but that's now been stripped out -- I genuinely don't know if there is any intention to replace it).

However, having said that, I don't know *many* people without their own laptop or computer. I know some (and some arts students, too), but they are in a distinct minority. Again, it's absolutely not something you'd be pointed and laughed at for or anything, but the fact most people have one suggests they're very useful. I'm not sure to what extent you'll find one useful for your course -- perhaps you could ask in the Natsci part of the forum?

Away from work, they can be great for watching DVDs and catching up with Dr Who (or whatever!) on BBC iplayer. It's also worth bearing in mind that the university seems to be powered by email, and you will need to check it a few times a day. There are computers everywhere for you to do this on (like in the JCR common rooms, and in all the faculties), but if you end up doing loads of organisation and communication (like me) you'd go a bit mad if you didn't have access at least *close* to your room. But that's just my perspective.

As for internet access: You can choose to have this sent through to your room (and they will provide a cable for the purpose). It's completely necessary to install the college antivirus software (which is absolutely BRILLIANT). Be warned that you should uninstall any antivirus programme you already have on your computer before you install college stuff. Otherwise you may well find your computer eats itself (seriously). You pay per term for the internet (I think it's about £20 p/t), if it's in your room. Otherwise, there is access in the library (both in the computer room on their computers - which are nice - or at the desks, where there are cables you just stick into your own registered & antivirused computer). There's also wireless internet in the buttery. :smile:

I keep stressing the antivirus thing, by the way, because if one person gets a virus it can quite easily spread to other computers in the network. But the college system is really very good -- I recently had my compter MOT'd and the tech guys were dead impressed by what college provides. So, there we go. Good stuff.
Reply 589
Okay, some more silly questions for the font of all knowledge..!

Are there irons and ironing boards available for use?
Do I need to bring a baking tray!?
Shall I buy a clothes horse!?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 590
Ooh, How good is the gym at Newnham? Or does the university have a good one? :smile:
Reply 591
Was I dreaming or did the fresher's guide actually tell us to bring a fancy dress?? :confused:
Reply 592
whizkid
Was I dreaming or did the fresher's guide actually tell us to bring a fancy dress?? :confused:

this has been preying on my mind far more than it should. is it bring anything or will the nights be themed and good luck on bringing something that will be useful?
Reply 593
whizkid

it does?! thanks for the thumbs up, thatll give me an year o find one...oh help! :rolleyes:
Reply 594
Hallo you lot. Good to see some activity. :smile: Here goes:

yemil
Are there irons and ironing boards available for use?
Do I need to bring a baking tray!?
Shall I buy a clothes horse!?

Ah, sweet domesticity. There are irons and ironing boards, yes, though they're not exactly prolific. It rather depends on where you're living (I lived in Peile last year, where there are awesome facilities for this type of thing). Often they're kept in slightly weird places, like small hidden cupboard rooms. So you will have to do a bit of exploration. If you can't find any, you should ask Housekeeping. :smile: A couple of people I know brought their own, but unless you're OCD about this stuff it's probably not worth it. Ironing tends to go down the list of priorities quite swiftly. Perhaps this is something it would be worth re-evaluating after your first term (as with a lot of things)? If you want to iron stuff in the first few days, ask one of the JCR Committee or Freshers' Committee and you'll get to see us all flapping about trying to find you the right facilities. :wink:

If you want to do baking, a baking tray would be a good thing to bring, yes. You can always buy them at Sainsbury's once you're here, though, if that seems to ake more sense. Depends how self-catering you're going to be from the off.

A clothes horse is particularly good for drying your underwear on, if you don't want to leave it in a drying room. We have some drying rooms in college (though their future seems a bit uncertain -- we do have tumble dryers, though). Just depends on how you're going to do your washing, really! I have a clothes horse. He's called Albert.

jenibaby
Ooh, How good is the gym at Newnham? Or does the university have a good one?

Pretty good! Small, but it has a bit of everything. It's in one little room (which has a handy door looking out over some grass, which is nice if you open it). Some of the equipment is very lovely and new, some is a bit older (but well-functioning and of course it's serviced as and when it needs it -- just been done, actually). Treadmill, two bikes (one upright, one reclining), an erg, a cross-trainer, an almost-cross-trainer (legs not arms), a sit-up bench, and basic weights (hand-helds and fixed to the wall). Considering how many people are in the college, I'm always surprised how empty it generally is. I go virtually every day, and have only been unable to use the equipment I wanted twice. Which isn't bad! It's open 7.30am-11pm. Free to use, AFTER you've had your completely necessary induction. The college gym's owned and maintined by the JCR, so it's our responsibility to make sure no-one kills themselves in there. Hence the inductions. These can take a while to get through, because there are so many people and we can only do a few at once...so bear with us. There will be sign-up sheets in the Porters' Lodge in the first couple of weeks. (As it probably says in your Freshers' Handbook).

The University doesn't really have a central gym like other universities do, because most colleges have them, as do many of the boathouses. But, technically, "Fenners' Gym" is the Uni Gym. I don't know anyone that uses it, but it's there to be used! I'm not sure if there's a membership fee -- if there is, it's probably minimal. :smile:

whizkid
Was I dreaming or did the fresher's guide actually tell us to bring a fancy dress??

scout5
this has been preying on my mind far more than it should. is it bring anything or will the nights be themed and good luck on bringing something that will be useful?

It says "fancy dress" rather than "A fancy dress" (crucial difference!). You won't need any fancy dresses (i.e. ball gowns) for the first few weeks, don't worry! It's talking more about, I don't know...dressing as a banana or whatever it is you young people get up to. :wink: There's quite a lot of potential for dressing up and stuff in the first couple of weeks, with things like themed pub-crawls and what have you. I'm never sure where people get so much stuff from...but Cambridge does have shops, so it's possible to buy/make things once you're here!
I think things like 'school girls' is universally popular (God knows why). And pirates is generally a safe bet.

For anyone fearing for their lives or sanity, a message of hope: It is not strictly necessary to (a) dress up or (b) get drunk. But you can if you like.

:biggrin:
Reply 595
Haha, I realise I sounded a bit like a neurotic OCD ironer with my question about irons. I'm not planning on ironing much, but you never know when you might feel like it!

Fancy dress: I think we should all just get a load of cardboard boxes and help each other create something! I don't have anything fancy-dressy!
Fenner's Gym is about £35 per academic year, clean, tidy, 6ish treadmills, 2 normal bikes, 1 recumbent bike, 2 steppers, 2 rowing machines and loads of grunty, sweaty, stretchy, pully weight things. Busy first thing in the morning before 9, and after 'work', but quite* the rest of the time.

Enjoy!

*even quiet!
Reply 597
threeportdrift
Fenner's Gym is about £35 per academic year, clean, tidy, 6ish treadmills, 2 normal bikes, 1 recumbent bike, 2 steppers, 2 rowing machines and loads of grunty, sweaty, stretchy, pully weight things. Busy first thing in the morning before 9, and after 'work', but quite the rest of the time.

Enjoy!

Thanks TPD! :smile:
Reply 598
Can i have visitors during term time? can they stay in my room? If they can... how long are they allowed to stay?? What about on the first day? Can my mum accompany me and help me with stuff?? :o: :confused:
Reply 599
whizkid
Can i have visitors during term time? can they stay in my room? If they can... how long are they allowed to stay?? What about on the first day? Can my mum accompany me and help me with stuff?? :o: :confused:

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.......

And 3 nights a week is what I think the booklet says :smile:
And something about z-bed hire costing £7 a night.

Are they quite strict about those 3 nights epitome? And about the not-under-18 thing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending