The Student Room Group

Aston or Mancheaster or Kent or SOAS

Got unconditional (gap year) offers from all my choices:
Aston, Essex, Kent, Durham, Manchester and SOAS for business/management.

Essex is not known for business. Dont think Durham is either + has very low entry requirements (had as insurance) and dont like the location.

Then theres the big decision between the rest of them.

Which one?
Why?

Most important thing for me is my future career (want money). Then theres other things like nightlife, accommodation etc.......

Many Thanks
Reply 1
Manchester (if it's the proper Management degree) - again, the nightlife owns in Manchester :smile:

Don't go with SOAS, as they don't actually teach Business, they send you to Birkbeck to do it.
Reply 2
Ok, so that's SOAS out. But do you think Manchester has a better rep for business than the other two? According to The Times Aston was ranked 3rd best business school.

They are all with a language.
Manchester: Modern Lang(French) and Management
Aston: Business Admin and French
Kent: International Business(French)
Reply 3
Manchester and Aston are both excellent schools. (I wouldn't consider Kent on the same level).

So it is down to your opinion of the course structure, placement, open day etc.
Reply 4
Is there any difference in terms of employement between having Management and Business admin?
Reply 5
Nope. They are exactly the same 99% of the time.
Reply 6
I'm at Manchester and was on the International Management with French programme but they've stopped running that programme since this year (because of the merger they've just kept the modern language and business and management one because they run that with a wider choice of languages).

I would have said go for manchester over Aston before but i the MLBM course isn't run by the business school and is more language based. If your priority is the management side then definatly go with Aston. However the nightlife in Manchester is great :smile:

I would say visit both of them though as i know some people who hated Manchester and others who hated Aston
Reply 7
In regards nightlife, cities in general - Aston (Birmingham) and Manchester are not that massively different to be honest. Both have thriving night life, if not Manchester slightly more so.

In regards money, one thing Aston has in its favours is a placement year. Not sure whether Manchester offers a similar prorgramme. Would imagine so, being a language course.

On my placement website at the moment, theres jobs for Peugeot etc which actually require French as a subject for their business industrial placements. Average salary is probably about £14,500.
Reply 8
Thanks for the rep AK48 :biggrin: I'll return it when I can :yy:
Reply 9
Yeh I want more of the business than the lang so if it's the way you say midnight I wouldn't consider manchester.
I will check them out on open day to confirm my decision for aston.
Reply 10
I heard from a couple of students who go to Aston that the social life isn't very good. Hope they are wrong.
Reply 11
Nothing wrong with the social life. It's what you make of it.

The Aston social scene is somewhat smaller, in that, I cannot walk accross campus without seeing one, two or three people I know. Its quite a close knit, tight community.

The guild events may be hit and miss, but frankly, Birmingham as a city has more than enough to offer. Broad Street, the canal district, the Arcadian, China Town, The Custard Factory and now Oceanea offer you plenty of night out opporunities.

In regards other social events, Aston has plenty of sports and other societies that are well organised and diverse in nature.

In the end, Aston has everything you need to have a fantastic social life, you simply have to get yourself about and get yourself involved.
Reply 12
Alchemy, are you working for the business school marketing team? As a new Aston Business School student i can safely say they work you very hard
Reply 13
I have no relation other than being a student with an opinion. :>

Latest

Trending

Trending