The Student Room Group

Aston uni or Kent uni

Thinking about applying to either one of these as my 5th choice. Any ideas on what the unis are like?

Applying for psychology
Original post by LoafOfBread05
Thinking about applying to either one of these as my 5th choice. Any ideas on what the unis are like?

Applying for psychology

Hi there

I am a final year law student at the University of Kent and I have really enjoyed my experience here so far. Kent is a very welcoming and culturally diverse environment, as a BAME student, the inclusive culture was one of the reasons I joined Kent.

The campus and facilities are really nice. I enjoy the nice blend of greenery and urban setting, is it really great that students can get to and from town by foot. In terms of the support available here, the wellbeing, academic, mentoring services are all really good and it helped me adapt to the environment quickly.

My studies have been really informative and enjoyable. Although I do not study psychology, I know many students who have enjoyed studying the subject.

If there is anything particular that you would like to know about Kent please feel free to ask, I am happy to answer any questions. :smile:

Hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Take a trip to Canterbury.
Original post by random_matt
Take a trip to Canterbury.

Already been to Cantebury and Birmingham before. I liked both areas... problem is that I can only go to one open day out of the two due to the fact both have their open days on the exact same saturday
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

I am a final year law student at the University of Kent and I have really enjoyed my experience here so far. Kent is a very welcoming and culturally diverse environment, as a BAME student, the inclusive culture was one of the reasons I joined Kent.

The campus and facilities are really nice. I enjoy the nice blend of greenery and urban setting, is it really great that students can get to and from town by foot. In terms of the support available here, the wellbeing, academic, mentoring services are all really good and it helped me adapt to the environment quickly.

My studies have been really informative and enjoyable. Although I do not study psychology, I know many students who have enjoyed studying the subject.

If there is anything particular that you would like to know about Kent please feel free to ask, I am happy to answer any questions. :smile:

Hope this helps.
Chloe

How would you say the lecteurers are? And the support related to careers and placement years? Thanks
Original post by LoafOfBread05
How would you say the lecteurers are? And the support related to careers and placement years? Thanks

Hi @LoafOfBread05 ,

I am in my final year of Psychology and I did a placement year.

Just to add onto what Chloe said and answer your questions, I have enjoyed my experience here. I believe that wherever you go, you will get as much as you put in. I have been an engaged student throughout. For example, I now plan to pursue a masters and PhD with one of the lecturers at the university. I have also only just started to talk to lecturers after our lecture and ask them questions which has helped develop my relationship with them. I would say the lecturers are approachable and friendly. If any issues do arise with certain lecturers, you can report it or let your student reps know and they pass this on (I am a rep so I can assure you that these concerns and feedback do go somewhere). To be honest, you're experience with the lecturer will depend on how much you engage with them. At any university, you will favour some academics teaching over others and this is completely normal. Finally, one of my favourite things about our lecturers is that when they do teach us, they usually include research they have done. I love it when they do this because you can see how passionate they are about the topic.

With regard to placement years and support, there is plenty but you do have to make use of it. We have staff just to support us with psychology placements and a careers service that support us with writing CVs, cover letters, mock interviews etc. (Check out: https://www.kent.ac.uk/careers).

I know you are deciding between both universities and which open day to attend. This sounds tricky to choose because open days are so valuable. Have you checked out whether you can attend one now and one a bit later? Kent university open days can be found here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/visit/open-days.

Feel free to ask any more questions about placements, what studying psychology is like, student life or Canterbury itself (I have lived here for 9 years) so I can answer a variety of questions. I could talk for hours about the pastoral, academic and careers support we get!

I hope this helps. :smile:

Alia

Quick Reply

Latest