The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Your guess is as good as mine as to what makes the 360 claim that NAT is "Strict".

At home I have completely derestricted NAT, and have the two ports 88, 3074 (udp/tcp) forwarded from my external IP to my Xbox 360 and it still claims that it's "Strict".

Short of giving the Xbox 360 a public IP address I've never been able to get it to say "Open". If I can't get this to work in my home setup which is completely derestricted, then it's unlikly I'll figure out why it's like that on ResNet.

Sorry :/

M2.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Okey, well, a fellow monkey and I have managed to figure out why I was getting Strict, without port forwards I now get Moderate and with them I get Open. Remeber this is at my house, not on ResNet.

We do however think it's the same issue that's causing ResNet to only ever get Strict. it's pretty technical but in short XBL does not like NAT changing the source port on the UDP packets sent from the 360.

The chances are at current if you ever get Open or Moderate you are the only person on campus playing XBL, or possibly there are less then 16 people on XBL at any time. I'm not sure which.

I'm off ill at the moment on doctors orders so I can't look at our documents on the NAT facility. I will when I get back to work, but no promises, knowing what the issue is suggests there may not be a workable NAT solution to get anything other then Strict.

It worked for me at home but theres only one 360 there, if there was a second it might not work.

I'll let you know.

M2
Reply 42
Just wanted to chime in and say thanks a lot for looking into it ISS M2, the NAT problem on Live has caused some difficulties at university (though to be honest I'm just thankful I can play at all, heh).

It's really appreciated
Rhysigo
Just wanted to chime in and say thanks a lot for looking into it ISS M2, the NAT problem on Live has caused some difficulties at university (though to be honest I'm just thankful I can play at all, heh).

It's really appreciated

Thanks, heh. Also remember that it appears (although I didn't realise) that MS has had issues with XBL on the run up to Christmas. It may be related, it may not.

I notice on a quick sneecky look at our job queue, there's a ticket in from someone about MTU sizes on ResNet and XBL. This seems very suspect, the MTU is as big as you'd get on ADSL so it should be fine. It could just be MS being flakey again, it could be a fault with out kit, we wont know until we can reproduce it.

For all who have XBL (possibly only Gold) it appears we're all in for a freeby because of MS' problems:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/04/microsoft-hooks-up-xbox-live-subs-with-free-arcade-title/

M2.
Reply 44
I will also chime in and say thanks for looking into the NAT issue ISS M2, dying to get a game on COD4, would be very nice to have an open NAT to come back to after the Jan exams.

It might not happen but thanks all the same!
Hey,

i appreciate the thanks, but please remember we are limited by the technology. I am now back at work, but I've unfortunatly had other things to do, as my job is primarly security related.

As for open NAT, unfortunatly the very best we can hope reliably for is Moderate, as Open needs port forwards in bound, which we have no provision to do.

I really will try to look at this next week, pending other doom.

M2.
Hey,

Ive got the whole MAC validating thing done and dusted. Sadly, after overcoming that a new problem developed. Apparently the MTU isn't high enough to allow live. Im at Cable Street - presumably this shouldnt make a difference though, right?

ISS M2 can you help?

Caladan
Good Moaning,

CaladanBrood00
Ive got the whole MAC validating thing done and dusted. Sadly, after overcoming that a new problem developed. Apparently the MTU isn't high enough to allow live. Im at Cable Street - presumably this shouldnt make a difference though, right?

Yawn, another week. Right, see this Xbox Live MTU issue is bloody weird, because I'm pretty sure that the entirety of ResNet is set to 1500, which is what you would have at home on the end of BT IPStream ADSL. So in short, it should work flawlessly (at least "Strict" wise).

However you mention Cable Street, and there may be a slight oddity there. Are you in the main part of Cable Street or are you actually in Damside Street? Damside street is actually linked to Cable Street via radio, which *may* (and I want to stress may, as it probably doesn't) have an effect on the MTU.

I have heard people mention issues like this who live on the main campus, however upon asking none of them have been willing to assist by bringing their Xbox's down to our office to help us debug. If someone brings one down, we're willing to have a look at it and see what's going wrong (if we can, but of course M$ do things in secret hidden ways). No offense guys, but I ain't pulling my home TV setup apart for work.

We have 40" LCD TV's so we can take pretty much any input, or with a bit of warning I can find my 360-to-VGA cable.

M2.
Yeah I thought the MTU thing was a bit odd given that so few people on here have complained about it (the focus being the joy of MAC validation...)

Im in the main part of cable street so its not the unlikely non-problem (as you suggested) of being in Damside...

I can bring my 360 along (cables and all if needs be) what exactly do you think it would entail doing? And curse MS for their secrecy...

Caladan
CaladanBrood00
I can bring my 360 along (cables and all if needs be) what exactly do you think it would entail doing? And curse MS for their secrecy...

Yes they are a pain arn't they. What'll be involved? I'll capture the traffic from my Xbox 360 here at home which goes out via the universities internet connection, then we'll capture the traffic from an Xbox on our office ResNet connection. Then we compare the results and hopefully see something different.

I'm in the office for most of the week, once you get back to Lancaster give me a private message and we'll arrange a time.

M2.
Cheers, Ill be in touch.

Caladan
Reply 51
just thought id add my xbox live works great (on strict) from main cable street if thats any use
This may be what everyone's been talking about for the last few months (technical stuff confuses me) but is there any way of being able to play people on my friends list?

I can get online and play Americans, but I'd rather play the people I know! Is this tied into the whole NAT being strict?
Reply 53
Tyrannosaurus Cal

I can get online and play Americans, but I'd rather play the people I know! Is this tied into the whole NAT being strict?

Yeah, sadly. I have the same problem.
Rhysigo
Yeah, sadly. I have the same problem.

Yup it is, basically you can only play people who are get Open when they do the NAT test. At current there isn't a huge amount we can do to solve this, even our opening up NAT investigations wont help.

There are 16 IP addresses that ResNet users get piped through, if there are more then 16 Xbox's on at once then you'll get Strict rather then Moderate. I'm not sure what the plans are for developing ResNet once we've opened up NAT, we'll have to see I guess.

Not much I can do to make this work any better for now, sorry guys.
Reply 55
2 ISS Monkey
Yup it is, basically you can only play people who are get Open when they do the NAT test. At current there isn't a huge amount we can do to solve this, even our opening up NAT investigations wont help.

There are 16 IP addresses that ResNet users get piped through, if there are more then 16 Xbox's on at once then you'll get Strict rather then Moderate. I'm not sure what the plans are for developing ResNet once we've opened up NAT, we'll have to see I guess.

Not much I can do to make this work any better for now, sorry guys.

I take it with the amount of students here and on Chancellor's Wharf, it's a few too many computers to have connected to ResNet at any one time? Add onto that the number of XBox's and PS3's and we've got a bit of a "too many connections" syndrome with IPv4. Does ResNet support IPv6 yet?
JimiF3000
I take it with the amount of students here and on Chancellor's Wharf, it's a few too many computers to have connected to ResNet at any one time? Add onto that the number of XBox's and PS3's and we've got a bit of a "too many connections" syndrome with IPv4. Does ResNet support IPv6 yet?

Wow... someoen who knows v6 exists. :smile:

No it doesn't at the moment, we've only just enabled the ja.net regional network that we run, and there is native v6 connectivity onto the campus backbone. We haven't rolled it out to anywhere other then our office yet because (as always) there are various policies that need sorting out.

There are about 7000 students on ResNet, now Lancaster does have a very large address block. We have what in the old days was known as a "Class B", it's roughly 65535 addresses.

It sounds like a lot, but due to the structure of our network (read subnetting) and the need for staff to be able to move about freely (read spare dynamic IPs) it's very difficult for us to find a block big enough to fit them in.

We actually had this discussion yesterday, we have 200 switches on ResNet, each ResNet switch has a block of 128 IP addresses for authorised people (to allow multiple machine validations, etc). You'd be looking at 25600 addresses out of the 65535 we have. It's a lot and would require a lot of rework and renumbering to try and fit it in. We could turn around and say one PC per user and that's that, and bring it down to 12800 IPs, but it's still a big block and we'd also have to consider letting you use routers, which we aren't fond off, see the PS3 thread.

Besides does the 360 do IPv6 yet? :wink:

M2.
I am so lost:p: Is there any way Xbox users will be able to play their friends outside of uni sometime?

Between paying for the resnet and the xbox live subscription it's a bit expensive and now my exams are nearly finished, I want to playyyyyy!
Tyrannosaurus Cal
I am so lost:p: Is there any way Xbox users will be able to play their friends outside of uni sometime? Between paying for the resnet and the xbox live subscription it's a bit expensive and now my exams are nearly finished, I want to playyyyyy!

Short answer is no, long answer is maybe if they have their Xbox configured to pass the NAT test in the "Xbox Live Connection Test" as "Open". If they get "Moderate" or "Strict" it wont work.

As for cost £70/year isn't that bad for an internet connection. It's not the cheapest you'll get, but it's not bad for "up to" 100mbs broadband. That being said ResNet is not an internet connection, it is a connection to the universities network for academic purposes. We supply webcaches officially for web access and NAT as an "unsupported" service.

I wouldn't suspect that within your remaining time here at the uni (another two years for you isn't it Cal?) that you'll get your Xbox to say the NAT is "Open", so make sure your friends do instead.

M2.
Reply 59
Hi, ISS Monky!

Last year I successfully got xbox live to work on RESNET from campus, however, this year, after trying to hook it back up since I've moved back in I've been getting an MTU error and it fails to connect there :s-smilie: I'm wondering if anyone is having the same problem? I've validated both my pc (which works fine) and the xbox using resnets online tool and also by using my pc's mac address on the xbox...still no luck :s-smilie: Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kiz

Latest

Trending

Trending