The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
where did u chk the tarriff points can u gimme the URL
Reply 2
Oh, Jesus.
Reply 3
I have yet to see any medical school that uses tariff for first-year entry medicine. apperently they dont like that much.
However, if your doing the IB (like me) which has 6 subjects. the maximum tariff point you can get is 760 or something like that. so getting 550 is not so impposible for IBers .
Reply 4
UCAS points include key skills, AEA, music grades and a few other things so include those to your "480 points"
Reply 5
you get points for AEAs - 20 for Merit, 40 for Distinction

you get points for BTEC certificates,

you get points for key skills and shot courses.

you get points for music - grade 5+.

must Medic courses dont use them because you can stack up points in *easy* stuff like short courses, and not have the skills/ability for Med.
Also they are not used because UCAS points do not differentiate between a scraped and solid/very good grade, whereas by requesting UMS - they can.

for me - If I get 4As thats 480, + a B at AS = +40 and I'm taking AEAs etc, that pushes it up to 520+. And i'm sure there are ppl who have dont way more then me.
I remember reading the times, and the typical tariff points were around 450 (which is pretty high). Cambridge and Oxford were the only ones over 500 if i remember correctly.
If you get AAAa, that's only 420.
I don't think I've seen tarrff point requirements in prospectuses, I've only seen grades.
Reply 8
Revd. Mike
I don't think I've seen tarrff point requirements in prospectuses, I've only seen grades.

Indeed.
OP, it would certainly be helpful if you showed us the link for it.
Reply 9
Sorry for not posing it earlier...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6734,00.html

Medicine

Entry Standards Overall Score
1 Cambridge 553 100.0
2 Oxford 537 99.8
3 Imperial College 477 97.8
4 Edinburgh 499 97.4
5 Manchester 485 96.5
6= Glasgow 479 96.3
6= Nottingham 499 96.3
8 Univ Coll London 462 96.2
9= Southampton 451 95.6
9= Liverpool 459 95.6
11 Newcastle 471 95.5
12= Sheffield 463 95.4
12= Dundee 471 95.4
14 Leicester 456 94.9
15 St George's 436 94.8
16 Birmingham 478 94.6
17= Cardiff 442 94.5
17= Bristol 442 94.5
19 King's Coll London 435 94.0
20 Exeter 439 93.8

Entry standards: average fullfull UCAS tariff score of new students under age 21, from the HESA (Higher Education Statistics Agency) in 2003/04. At A level, an A grade is 120 points, B 100, C 80, D 60, and E 40. AS grades are worth halfas much.
Reply 10
Does general studies count towards the points?
Reply 11
i think thats just a general descriptor to show the relative difficulty between schools and also other degrees

so you wont actually need on average to get 500+
Reply 12
Liar
Does general studies count towards the points?

Anyone know?
Reply 13
yes, thats part of the reason most Unis will ask for grades in certain subjects instead of using UCAS points. Also most will say X points, excluding GS.
Reply 14
Liar
Anyone know?

I think St George's the only uni that accepts G. Studies at AS. No other uni accepts it, They all state this in the prospectus!!!
sarah_16
I think St George's the only uni that accepts G. Studies at AS. No other uni accepts it, They all state this in the prospectus!!!

Liverpool accept it at AS.

and I think Sheffield do as well.
Reply 16
My Liverpool offer for Medicine last time required me to have AAB PLUS B at A level for General Studies too. I think it was because I only did 3 proper AS's, I dropped my French AS half way through because it was too hard and I hated it! :redface:

I've not heard of them asking anyone else to do this, but this was before they asked for AABb.
Yep, I was really annoyed because we had to have lessons in General Studies. Last thing on a Friday. So no one ever went, I got an A anyway and no damn uni accepts it.

Waste. Of. Time. :rolleyes:
Reply 18
I got a sussex uni prospectus and they want 340 ucas pnts for med.

As far as I know most unis dont care about ucas, its grades they want.

also it seems most dont accept gen studies.

Look on UCAS website and find out, saves your time and the people who gotta responds time.
I believe Sheffield accept General Studies at A2

Latest

Trending

Trending