The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I really doubt the internal moderator stuff matters to any of the normal members. People have been saying the same thing things about moderators for about the last decade, and the only people who have ever really disagreed are the moderators themselves. Generally they have always been inconsistent, unhelpful in AAM and totally unwilling to admit any mistakes. Obviously there's nothing wrong with that in the normal members' forum but since there are sections of the site which customers pay £7 per month for it's kind of ridiculous that unpaid and totally unaccountable people can just haphazardly revoke those privileges.

So yeah nobody really cares if a few of you had a handbag war a year ago.
Original post by Blackacre
Regarding "use" of the site, Bubbles, if you bothered to look at my post history you'd see I've made <1 post per day since I left - probably <1 per week, though I can't check easily on my phone. If you're still happy with the arrangement, good for you, but I honestly haven't looked back since I was demodded.

There are still a fairly significant number (both ex mods and standard users) who continue to use the site despite complaining about it though, frequently or otherwise. Now, there's no two ways about it, there will be flaws with any site both from a users perspective and from a internal modding perspective, but there seems better ways for this to be addressed.

The latter perspective would clearly be frustrating, but airing these issues on the public forum doesn't seem the best way to get them improved upon. Indeed, it just seems an opportunity for those who view TSR less than favourably - whether rightfully or not - to jump on the bandwagon and start badmouthing the mod team. Similarly, it seems a little harsh to say that the current mod team - or at least some of them - were only recruited because of scraping the barrel, though I appreciate you didn't make that post.

From a general users' perspective, if you no longer like the site, and especially if you dislike it to the extent the OP seems to, I'd question why you'd continue to use the site - though this isn't aimed at your post so much as it is generally to the people complaining about TSR in the thread.
Reply 42
Original post by damoni
i'm starting to wonder if this is the start of the end for tsr.

Don't worry damoni. As long as we are here TSR will regenerate. Our brilliance will wash over this place like a cleansing tsunami.
Original post by jakeel1
People have been saying this forever. Not just about TSR.

Your golden days didnt exist

I'm inclined to agree with this. These threads pop up every few weeks. Watch this space - in 2 years time or so, everyone will be saying 'omg, why has TSR gone so downhill? Back in 2015 this was a real forum.'

Original post by Origami Bullets
They haven't been able to find enough mods for some time now (of any quality - there's a lot of barrel scraping going on) and two sections have no section leader.

I'm sorry, but how would you know if this was true or not? It's incredibly condescending and audacious of you to make a comment like that when you are, as far as I am aware, completely oblivious to internal mod team matters.

I'm with greeneyedgirl 100% - I think the mod team is great and we're in a really good place.
Original post by SmashConcept
I really doubt the internal moderator stuff matters to any of the normal members. People have been saying the same thing things about moderators for about the last decade, and the only people who have ever really disagreed are the moderators themselves. Generally they have always been inconsistent, unhelpful in AAM and totally unwilling to admit any mistakes. Obviously there's nothing wrong with that in the normal members' forum but since there are sections of the site which customers pay £7 per month for it's kind of ridiculous that unpaid and totally unaccountable people can just haphazardly revoke those privileges.

So yeah nobody really cares if a few of you had a handbag war a year ago.

great contribution to the thread
Someone, I think, made the point above but I'm very doubtful of there ever being a TSR golden age.

I much prefer the site when I used it for the first year or 2 but that's because I was younger and was an active participant in the year 12/13 threads. I've grown older and my perspective has since changed.

I think the way people use the net has changed but that's happened across most sites. Not just TSR.
Reply 46
They haven't been able to find enough mods for some time now (of any quality - there's a lot of barrel scraping going on)

Unhelpful and, frankly, spiteful.
Amusing thread, some of the bitterness here :lol:
Good discovery

Will monitor this closely :colone:
Reply 49

In terms of pay, I didn't say that no one else deserves to be paid. However, there are a few legal matters that relate to the mod position - namely that being a mod fits every one of these points https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-minimum-wage-worker-checklist

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's no case for it whatsoever.
Original post by darkred
great contribution to the thread

How come they haven't made you a moderator yet? Too VIP?
Reply 51
Original post by Kittiara
That's the same as with any voluntary role, isn't it? If I were to agree to do voluntary work in a charity shop, say, they'd expect me to turn up. If I kept not turning up, they'd replace me with another volunteer.

Yes, good job. Its an expectation as opposed to an obligation.

Original post by Blackacre
I'm not an employment lawyer, and I'm too busy at the moment to look into the subtle nuances in detail, but as a starting point I'd argue there's a massive difference between giving your time in a charity shop to benefit those less fortunate, and being screwed over by a profit making entity which doesn't want to give you your fair share of the cake.

No, there's none.

Consideration and intent are the main factors. I don't know if mods get any little goodies these days, but its quite likely they would not be considered consideration as they are not obligations of management. As for intent, it is clear as crystal with this one and mentioned at every stage. Also, see above.

There's no case for it whatsoever and any suggestion there is, is frankly ridiculous.
Original post by keromedic
Someone, I think, made the point above but I'm very doubtful of there ever being a TSR golden age.

I've been on here for 10 years now.

In the 'golden age' that people hark back to, there was more nastiness about university snobbery. You still see it here today but back then it was a major theme. I remember being an undergraduate at Leeds, and getting all sorts of harassment on the economics forum about Leeds being a sub-par institution and basically that I wouldn't be able to get a job :lol:

The difference over time is that the university harassment became a smaller share of TSR activity and there was an increase in harassment of Muslims/Jews/immigrants/feminism.

It's always the same arguments from the same posters and they never move on they just carry on posting about it. We all know that if we come back in 5 years time the same posters will be on here saying the same things: Muslims are all terrorists/grooming rape gangs; there is a global conspiracy where Jews control everything; New Liebour and the EU destroyed white culture by mass immigration; women want too much equality and this is why men can't find partners any more.
Reply 53
Original post by shadowdweller
There are still a fairly significant number (both ex mods and standard users) who continue to use the site despite complaining about it though, frequently or otherwise. Now, there's no two ways about it, there will be flaws with any site both from a users perspective and from a internal modding perspective, but there seems better ways for this to be addressed.

The latter perspective would clearly be frustrating, but airing these issues on the public forum doesn't seem the best way to get them improved upon. Indeed, it just seems an opportunity for those who view TSR less than favourably - whether rightfully or not - to jump on the bandwagon and start badmouthing the mod team. Similarly, it seems a little harsh to say that the current mod team - or at least some of them - were only recruited because of scraping the barrel, though I appreciate you didn't make that post.

From a general users' perspective, if you no longer like the site, and especially if you dislike it to the extent the OP seems to, I'd question why you'd continue to use the site - though this isn't aimed at your post so much as it is generally to the people complaining about TSR in the thread.

So in other words, if you have concerns or are unhappy with something, don't express your opinion, just stop using the site.

How is that helpful in encouraging improvement?
Original post by SmashConcept
How come they haven't made you a moderator yet? Too VIP?

They've asked.... many times. Had to reject.
Original post by darkred
They've asked.... many times. Had to reject.

Would have been lovely to see your name in purple.
Original post by keromedic
Would have been lovely to see your name in purple.

Exactly, the admin had the same image. I just couldn't say yes.
I wrote a fairly long winded reply and then lost it all.

Anyway, my comment about scraping the barrel was not aimed at any individual. There are some very good new mods who have come on board (eg I was very happy to see Slowloris join the unis team) but I do not know all of the new mods well enough to make a judgement (and even if I did, I wouldn't air such a view at a personal level). However, the fundamental problems that existed when I left the section leader team 6 months ago have not been addressed (ie that modding is unattractive) so I am very sceptical of the idea that anything has changed.

One should not assume that just because someone is on the mod / SL team at any given time that they are aware of everything that is going on. I know that there are things that were deliberately not shared between all SLs for very good reasons. Most of us who were aware have since left.

I post on tsr because I strongly believe that everyone should have access to high quality information, advice and guidance about going to university and the choices available to them. This is something that is often sorely lacking in schools today. Tsr is a platform which is free for all to access. I post, almost exclusively in the unis forums, for this reason. I do not post because I like TSRG. Equally, I left because I did not like the direction in which tsr was headed behind the scenes and, like many other SLs, I had grown tired of nothing changing. Having objected to how things were, and having been ignored, I left. Sometime it's not worth wasting any more of your time on a lost cause.
Original post by BurstingBubbles
The irony of those who don't like TSR and still use it fascinates me :holmes:

Well someone's got to stick around and fight the tide of hatred towards women that is taking over :/

Do you genuinely want us to all leave (for the upmpteenth time in my case...)
Original post by redferry
Well someone's got to stick around and fight the tide of hatred towards women that is taking over :/

Do you genuinely want us to all leave (for the upmpteenth time in my case...)

What hatred? From keyboard warriors? Why give them the satisfaction of a response?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending