The Student Room Group

I hate my voice

sf
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
If it bothers you that much you could get elocution lessons.
Or just fake ALS till they give you a speech generator.
(edited 9 years ago)
This must suck. I, too, have a very loud voice, which everyone feels like they have to comment about. It sucks. My teachers make fun of me too. I know that this must sound stupid to you, because I have a much smaller problem as compared to yours. But still, I hate how I sound and I get annoyed by my own voice.
Anyway, I think that the best thing to do in this case is to just accept it, or try to be with people who would accept you and make you feel good. I know that what I'm saying sounds useless, but I think that it is important to be confident and to accept your own self. The other thing that I would totally recommend and that I would have definitely done if I were you is to actually meet up with a voice coach. From what see, I can tell that this problem is affecting you personally, so I would definitely recommend a voice coach! I have a cousin who had a very weird lisp (she pronounced K as T.) Her mum gave the issue an ice-cold shoulder. My cousin is 21 now. No coaching would be effective to her. It is difficult for her to meet new people or to get into relationships (actually impossible.) So, I would definitely advise you to see someone before it's too late. This is not a small issue if it's going to be long-term. Especially that it makes you feel that uncomfortable and insecure. Manage your time and definitely see a coach.
Feel good, you have nothing to feel bad about. Good Luck!
It sounds like you aren't using your nasal resonator enpugh: you can be trained to speak using it more if it troubles you. Try a speech therapist or speak in a really nasal way to understand what your not using; not permanently obviously but as an exercise.

Also note everyone hates the sound of their own voice; we hear ourselves in a distorted way; just because you think a recording sounds bad doesn't mean anything.
I feel for you OP. I also dislike my voice and my confidence suffers because of it. I've had some horrible people say I sound like a man, but then others who say I have a 'husky', sexy voice. You'll always meet people who turn something into a negative, but to others it could be really attractive.

It's just something we have to adjust to, and learn to love I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest