The Student Room Group

architecture firm

How relevant is the reputation of an architecture school you currently studying, is there any bearing of institution in terms of employment? the thing is, i already have unconditional from newcastle which is quite highly ranked in the league tables but also im reconsidering of accepting westminster csm and kingston (all unconditional and ranked low) due to the fact that they are really art oriented universities compare to newcastle and im really an arty person. im also afraid that if i firm either westminster or csm or kingston i'll be having a hard time of getting employed in the future in a decent firm.

aside from employment issues ive sensed a peer pressure among my friends and family of firming newcastle because of its a russel group and the idea of "elite". if i firm either of the 3, they might tell me of being an idiot for not going to a russel group.

sigh. anyway

any advice would be great. thanks
Original post by buttplugs
How relevant is the reputation of an architecture school you currently studying, is there any bearing of institution in terms of employment? the thing is, i already have unconditional from newcastle which is quite highly ranked in the league tables but also im reconsidering of accepting westminster csm and kingston (all unconditional and ranked low) due to the fact that they are really art oriented universities compare to newcastle and im really an arty person. im also afraid that if i firm either westminster or csm or kingston i'll be having a hard time of getting employed in the future in a decent firm.

aside from employment issues ive sensed a peer pressure among my friends and family of firming newcastle because of its a russel group and the idea of "elite". if i firm either of the 3, they might tell me of being an idiot for not going to a russel group.

sigh. anyway

any advice would be great. thanks

Ultimately, your best choice in terms of an architecture school is wherever you think you'd be happiest and feel like the course suits you best :smile: (regardless of whether that's at a Russell Group uni or not). Westminster especially has a pretty good reputation for architecture, and in terms of getting a job, it primarily hinges on your portfolio, not where you studied (although you will find some firms are especially keen on certain schools of architecture). At the end of the day, it's you who's going to be studying there, not your friends or family! I don't really know much about the courses at any of those places, but perhaps there are some current students floating around who might be able to shed some light? /some current applicants who might be better informed? Perhaps there are some visit days you can attend where you can talk to current students about what the courses are like in order to make a more informed decision?
Hope that's useful! ~ and good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by clareyyyyyyy
Ultimately, your best choice in terms of an architecture school is wherever you think you'd be happiest and feel like the course suits you best :smile: (regardless of whether that's at a Russell Group uni or not). Westminster especially has a pretty good reputation for architecture, and in terms of getting a job, it primarily hinges on your portfolio, not where you studied (although you will find some firms are especially keen on certain schools of architecture). At the end of the day, it's you who's going to be studying there, not your friends or family! I don't really know much about the courses at any of those places, but perhaps there are some current students floating around who might be able to shed some light? /some current applicants who might be better informed? Perhaps there are some visit days you can attend where you can talk to current students about what the courses are like in order to make a more informed decision?
Hope that's useful! ~ and good luck! :smile:

Hi, what architectural firms that want or keen on certain schools of architecture? Like fosters, zaha, renzo piano?

Posted from TSR Mobile
All courses are 'art oriented' to some extent, especially if you're pushing for a top level project.
I believe one of the important indicators of fit is the city - pick one you like the feeling of.
Newcastle will be a harder course due to your peers being higher grade achievers, don't be scared to challenge yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending