The Student Room Group

Still not settled in.

I came to university with such high expectations.
I was looking forward to joining so many societies but all of those I signed up to, after 1 or 2 try outs, I realised they were completely not what I was hoping for and that the people were/are not nice. I got caught up on a sports team too which I am 100% not enjoying, but I paid the hefty membership and sports kit fees so I have to stick it out.
I ended up in private accommodation with people from a different university and all of them are on the same course together so we have nothing in common. As nerdy as it sounds, I like talking about academic things, where as they all do fashion and I really don't care about that crap. We also have a nightmare of a flatmate which I can't bring myself to face every single day.
My course hasn't been enjoyable, I hated the modules in the first semester and only managed to get mid-high 2:2s in each one, they were difficult and it was harder as I had no interest. This semester they are better but I'm having a hard time.
I'm a very shy person, I made 2 friends last year on my course and a few acquaintances but a lot of people on my course don't want to make friends with the people on our course for some reason. I spend a lot of time in the library but it's becoming such a chore leaving my room/flat to go and sit with some books and study.
I don't go home often as I feel I will just become terribly home sick and will want to leave. When does university start being good?
Everyone has different experiences of uni, so no one can say when you'll start to feel better about it. If you don't like the modules are you sure the course is right for you? Do the modules look better next year? If you're not enjoying your course it will be very hard to motivate yourself. Hopefully the housing situation will be better next year. It's really hard to advise when it seems like there's so much you don't like about being where you are. Are there any other societies that look interesting that you could try? Do you do anything outside of classes with the friends you have made or try and become closer with the acquaintances. I'm not saying it's easy to sort out these things, it certainly isn't but you've got to try (not saying that you haven't been of course :smile:) Just try and keep going and hopefully something will improve :smile:.
Can I ask which uni you go to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending