The Student Room Group

MI5 should recruit from Mumsnet...

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

MI5 should recruit the best people for the jobs regardless of gender.
Reply 2
Original post by DiddyDec
MI5 should recruit the best people for the jobs regardless of gender.

They aren't being told to ONLY recruit from Mumsnet.
Original post by jneill
They aren't being told to ONLY recruit from Mumsnet.

This whole idea that there are not enough women in any job is silly. The security services should aim to employ the best of the best not try and make a 50/50 split for gender equality.
Reply 4
This whole idea that there are not enough women in any job is silly. The security services should aim to employ the best of the best not try and make a 50/50 split for gender equality.

Decisions should be based on merit alone.
Original post by jakeel1
Decisions should be based on merit alone.

As far as I understand, they're not saying that the entry standards should be lower for women than men or that there should be some kind of positive discimination. They're simply trying to make more women aware of the prospects of a career in the intelligence services.
Reply 6
Good god that would be awful.

"BREAKING NEWS: MI5 have identified new threat from their Mumsnet sources: Men."
Reply 7
Original post by Chlorophile
They're simply trying to make more women aware of the prospects of a career in the intelligence services.

How patronising.
Original post by Ezisola
How patronising.

Not really... if there aren't very many women applying for jobs in a certain area and the reason is thought to be because it's traditionally regarded as a job for men, it's not a huge surprise if they're actively targeting women for advertising.
Reply 9
Original post by Ezisola
How patronising.

I have a problem with recruiting someone who cannot look on the website to an intelligence agency.
They'll probably recruit Muslims and frame them for terrorism.
They obviously need a few women to operate honey traps but haggard feminists and overweight mothers from a communist hotbed don't strike me as optimal candidates.
Reply 12
Most of those women can't even raise a child properlly, they have no business working for national security
"So candidate Mumsnet, what experiences can your draw on to highlight your suitability for the job

Well Interviewer, when my son came home and told me he'd knocked up a teen i beat the crap out of him, this highlights my experience with torture. In addition, i convinced my husband to drive around in a pink car and buy me 30 different pairs of shoes so i'm well versed in psychological manipulation, finally i stopped my daughter from being groomed by a paedophile online so i'm well versed at intercepting intelligence."

Being serious, it should be based on merit.
Reply 14
Of course it should be based on merit - but that's not what this is about. It's about having a broader range of skills within the intelligence services, and therefore advertising the opportunities on sites like Mumsnet (and TSR?)

Did you even read the linked article?

And, in case you don't trust The Guardian, here's The Telegraph
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/11451134/MI5-and-MI6-must-recruit-spies-from-Mumsnet-says-watchdog.html
(edited 9 years ago)
This sounds like a terrible idea. Mumsnet has a spacial awareness akin to incredibly conservative and backward people as well as social justice warriors.
Given that spying involves anti-social hours, overseas postings, extensive travel and a certain amount of risk, none of which are likely to appeal to those with primary caring responsibilities, I thought that 37% female employment looked impressive. That is 10% more than the police achieve.

I accept that the civil service as a whole has more than 50% female employment but the DWP doesn't have a Job Centre in Kabul and the Rural Payments Agency doesn't work 24/7.
Original post by nulli tertius
Given that spying involves anti-social hours, overseas postings, extensive travel and a certain amount of risk, none of which are likely to appeal to those with primary caring responsibilities, I thought that 37% female employment looked impressive. That is 10% more than the police achieve.

I accept that the civil service as a whole has more than 50% female employment but the DWP doesn't have a Job Centre in Kabul and the Rural Payments Agency doesn't work 24/7.

But they (MI5) keep telling us it's not like a James Bond movie... more like George Smiley but with fewer thrills.
Is this news?
Original post by Joinedup
But they (MI5) keep telling us it's not like a James Bond movie... more like George Smiley but with fewer thrills.

George Smiley worked nights.

Smiley spent WWII in Berlin. "I'm sorry dear, the kids' lunches for the next six years are in the fridge."

What about all those trips to see Connie Sachs in Oxford? Who would pick up the kids from school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending