The Student Room Group

Politics A Level-good or bad idea?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by JamJam87
Don't worry! You'll do great! :hugs:

I hope so...I hope so
Reply 21
I took A level last year because it was always something I wanted to do since year 9. In truth, it is so much better than I thought. Our school have given us so many opportunities, we have been down to Westminster to see Parliament, next week I am going to the Scottish Parliament, political debate clubs, we've had university lecture in from Liverpool Uni, organised the mock Scottish referendum in school, went to another school to meet local politics figures, organising the GE in school to name a few things...

In our group there is only 7 and so we have all become really good friends through political discussion which helps us all learn, even though we didn't know each other beforehand. I can't recommend it enough because even if you are stuck reading and keeping up with current affairs through the TV and broadsheets goes miles in essays. When I first took the subject I thought the written work would be horrendous but in reality there is no trouble at all. In our 3 exam periods, I have got A's in both units just through loving what we learn. It is so interesting. You definitely should take it! :biggrin:
Original post by Rhianneeakin
Politics is good, there are of course some boring days, but all in all it is interesting and it is a good qualification as the world revolves around politics. I'm studying it now and I get enjoyment in understanding what they're always talking about on the news.

The only advice i would give is, know what your strengths are, if you're not good at writing long paragraphs and writing non stop, you should consider something else.

Is it very difficult I struggled with history gcse and came out with a d when I really didn’t deserve it need advice thanks
Original post by Hephzi.mcb
I'm in year 10 currently and thinking about a levels. I am wondering whether or not I should consider taking a level government and politics. I am not specifically looking to go into the world of politics but it seems like an interesting qualification to gain.

For students studying currently or those who have done so in the past, is this a valuable qualification? How hard is it?

It's a really great A level if you are interested in the subject matter. Lots of essay writing so you'd need to be good at essays. I can only imagine that the exam papers for the next couple of years will have some interesting material in them. Subject goes well with history but it's not a necessity. I loved it. I thought about doing science subjects but not interesting enough for me.
Reply 24
Original post by student424
It's a really great A level if you are interested in the subject matter. Lots of essay writing so you'd need to be good at essays. I can only imagine that the exam papers for the next couple of years will have some interesting material in them. Subject goes well with history but it's not a necessity. I loved it. I thought about doing science subjects but not interesting enough for me.

Which exam board did you do? I am thinking of doing this but the whole a level in one year...
Original post by Hephzi.mcb
I'm in year 10 currently and thinking about a levels. I am wondering whether or not I should consider taking a level government and politics. I am not specifically looking to go into the world of politics but it seems like an interesting qualification to gain.

For students studying currently or those who have done so in the past, is this a valuable qualification? How hard is it?

hi!

I studied Politics when I did my A-levels and i really enjoyed it and now I study it as a degree. Politics is very multifaceted so I would say look into what kind of topics you would study and if you would enjoy them - I personally feel like the more interested/enjoy what you study, you would not find it as difficult as you genuinely find it interesting. For example for me, in AS I did voting systems and general political knowledge which isn't the most interesting to me but I loved studying ideologies in my second year. I think Politics has a lot of transferable skills like essay writing and debating so I would say it is valuable. Furthermore, you don't have to go into politics! The skills you gain can be used anywhere :smile: I hope this is helpful

Best Wishes,
Meena (3rd Year Politics Undergraduate)
Same I’m currently studying politics now at AS and I don’t know if I really have an interest. Everyone else is always discussing current affairs where as I’m really not interested I don’t want to disappoint my parents though and I’m a very hard working person. But it gets to the point where you just aren’t motivated enough to work. My current a level subjects are Business, photography and Government and politics.
Reply 27
Original post by Aronwills4
Same I’m currently studying politics now at AS and I don’t know if I really have an interest. Everyone else is always discussing current affairs where as I’m really not interested I don’t want to disappoint my parents though and I’m a very hard working person. But it gets to the point where you just aren’t motivated enough to work. My current a level subjects are Business, photography and Government and politics.

What textbook are you using?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending