The Student Room Group

Which Big 4 did you turn down and why?

Scroll to see replies

brabzzz
Dude, wait until you hit the real world.

I had a similar life in uni. Committee appointments, managing ~75k for various people, sport, running a bar, that kinda thing. Nevermind the study. M days were pretty rammed. But doing something i loved, enjoyed and wated to work on until 2am.

When your AD tosses you a list of companies to find comparables at 6pm and you know you're only doing it because it's needed to fill X pages of a pitch and will have little impact on the deal outcome...it's very different. Or checking debtors, payrolls, referencing stuff and checking sums.

60 hours of work delegated to you, and 80 hours of 'self driven work' are SO different. I imagine that's why people are willing to work their balls off in their own business and prefer it to an easier (yet deathly dull and zombie like existenece) some '9-5's' provide.

Well I never showed any intention of working in M&A, so I can't answer for a banker. Anyway, corp fin. represents only a fraction of the activity of a bank, its just that it is perceived as the only thing that a bank does, which is not true.

On another note, comparing accts/tax/cf to trading is pretty dumb. The people in both camps are very unlikely to ever want to find themselves in another of the camps after a few years. Traders wouldn't want to do CF, i image auditors would hate trading and tax might just get that kick out of evading gordon that audit nor trading could provide.

This place seems like kindergarden. :-)

It's not comparing work, its comparing hours and pay, the balance of which is hugely in favour of traders.

Kick out of evading Gordon against a kick out of taking home a huge bonus? I know which one I prefer.

All this talk of 60 hour weeks - wake up and smell the coffee - do a 36 hour week - get paid a lot less but have an extra DAY of free time to enjoy at home etc!

Only the thing is, it never quite works out that way. You still have to do the 36 hours spread over 5 days, and you still have to commute to work, you still have get to bed early to get to work on time, you still have to stick around during lunch etc. The chances are that if you are taking home little than you are also living further away from work and probably depending on public transport to get there, which will eat away at your "free" time.
rafabenitez
LBC:

CLS > S-Class

LOL, not really.
NO one answered my question

sigh.
Reply 63
Like I said, you need to stop comparing what you wanna do and what others do in terms of which is better, because not everybody sees things the same as you - "success" as you put it, is subjective.

I really like my job, but theres other things which I like more, and the difference between the two is definitely huge.

I never knew they measured the heart-rates of every single person in every single car to determine that your heart-beats 5bpm less in an S-class than any other car? That really is an amazing stat ^o)

I like the way you change the facts to suit your arguments - have you ever been to Barcelona? I think I've been about 6 times now, I certainly prefer the woman that walk around the streets of Norwich to those that walk around the streets of Barcelona, but I guess taste in woman is yet another subjective argument which we'll no doubt disagree over.

I think most people drive a car to work LBC, certainly the car park at the local PWC office is always full - so I don't imagine that many of them are taking a bus?

All that aside, Mercs are made of tin and driven by grandads, so I'd rather get the bus to work, actually.
LBC213
LOL, not really.

lol, the new s class is too boxy, the CLS is far more elegant and stylish imo. Cant wait to get one.
Reply 65
Chassez
Errm, yes? :confused:

Whys that? Barcelona is just like any other place on the planet, its different, but that doesn't make it better than anywhere else, unless you're comparing on the basis of how much it costs to get there, and how much you'd need to earn to go there regularly, in which case, of course, Barcelona is better:rolleyes:
LBC213

Only the thing is, it never quite works out that way. You still have to do the 36 hours spread over 5 days, and you still have to commute to work, you still have get to bed early to get to work on time, you still have to stick around during lunch etc. The chances are that if you are taking home little than you are also living further away from work and probably depending on public transport to get there, which will eat away at your "free" time.

Maybe - but if we compared a 9-5 job (45hours) to a 7-7 job (60 hours)

Would you rather be up at 8 to leave for work or 6?
Would you rather be at home at 5.30 or 7.30?

When you take the 45hour a week job you have around 4 hours extra 'home time' during the week which can be used for whatever you want...

For me personally, I can see working those long hours getting seriously annoying - especially if you have an exhausting job.
mussy1234
This is a question someone from GS asked me (not an interview question, lol):

Theres two people who work at GS. One wears raggy type clothes that if you saw him on the street you wouldnt even think that he works at GS. He has been living with his parents in East London for around 20 years and commutes home using the tube. He doesnt drive a car.

The other one wears flash clothes, really nice ties and comes to work in an expensive suit. He drives a BMW 5 series and has a house in Kensington.

Who is a Sales person and who is the MD?

Mussy i will hazard a guess. The MD is the first character you describe and the sales person is the latter of the two.

right ? wrong? im just guessing.
Reply 68
More importantly, who gives a crap?
x.narb.x
Whys that? Barcelona is just like any other place on the planet, its different, but that doesn't make it better than anywhere else, unless you're comparing on the basis of how much it costs to get there, and how much you'd need to earn to go there regularly, in which case, of course, Barcelona is better:rolleyes:
For a holiday I'd prefer a refreshing change re food, culture, music, climate etc than Skegness...
x.narb.x
Like I said, you need to stop comparing what you wanna do and what others do in terms of which is better, because not everybody sees things the same as you - "success" as you put it, is subjective.

I never directly compared a trader to an accountant and said one is better than the other, go look back over. I'm saying 1 pays better than the other and hence allows one to live a better quality of life. You disagree, fair enough, and I disagree that having "as much free time as possible" means a better quality of life, just in the same way you argue that having as much money as possible leads to a better quality of life.

Plus, lets say someone works 36 hours and gets paid peanuts. What are they going to do in the other 135 hours a week? Piss away any spare money they have by trying to enjoy "life". There are very few things you can do in this world that you can really enjoy that are free, just remember that.

I really like my job, but theres other things which I like more, and the difference between the two is definitely huge.

Sure, but then I never denied you that.

I never knew they measured the heart-rates of every single person in every single car to determine that your heart-beats 5bpm less in an S-class than any other car? That really is an amazing stat ^o)

They did actually, quite a fascinating statistic when you look at it carefully, would buy one, if I had the money, just purely on that statistic.

I like the way you change the facts to suit your arguments - have you ever been to Barcelona? I think I've been about 6 times now, I certainly prefer the woman that walk around the streets of Norwich to those that walk around the streets of Barcelona, but I guess taste in woman is yet another subjective argument which we'll no doubt disagree over.

Yes I have been to Barcelona. And the French Riviera, though unfortunately not Monaco. Believe me, if I had the choice, I would pick either of them anyday over Skegness.

I think most people drive a car to work LBC, certainly the car park at the local PWC office is always full - so I don't imagine that many of them are taking a bus?

Maybe, though I was taking about London initially.

All that aside, Mercs are made of tin and driven by grandads, so I'd rather get the bus to work, actually.

Well it's only because in normal jobs it takes so god damn long to save up enough to afford one! You can take the bus, I'd surely much rather prefer a Benz.
The thing is its all nice and well for saying that IB is a better job than accountancy its just some people are being so harsh than it. When your mate gets into a uni that isn't as good as yours you don't go "Lol your ****". And bankers probably wouldn't like some self employed business man whose earnings millions going wow your job is a pile of monkey spunk. I cant wait for some of the IB addicts to not get jobs at the end of uni and have to go to the Big 4. Although ill probably be one of them.
if youd rather take the bus than a merc then its cos you cant afford one. or that your just mad!
Reply 73
You can buy a 3 year old S-Class for 25k, you can't buy a 3 year old M3 for that...

Your first point is a very good one, which is why I'm saying a compromise is best.

40 hour weeks for 40k a year? I'd take that over 100k for 60 hour weeks, just a personal choice I guess.
supernova2
The thing is its all nice and well for saying that IB is a better job than accountancy its just some people are being so harsh than it. When your mate gets into a uni that isn't as good as yours you don't go "Lol your ****". And bankers probably wouldn't like some self employed business man whose earnings millions going wow your job is a pile of monkey spunk. I cant wait for some of the IB addicts to not get jobs at the end of uni and have to go to the Big 4. Although ill probably be one of them.

I wouldn't apply to Big 4 even if it meant I would be unemployed.

By the way, some bankers and traders' earnings easily outstrip those of most "millionaire self employed business men".
Reply 75
SOME bankers, some footballers earn 100k a week, 99% earn less than 1% of that.
x.narb.x
SOME bankers, some footballers earn 100k a week, 99% earn less than 1% of that.

Yes, and less than 10% of new businesses survive the first 6 months of trading (this is an actual official statistic by the way), and a lot lot less reach the levels of personal wealth that supernova2 is talking about. What's your point?
Reply 77
My point is, don't go into a job expecting to become super rich because a select few did.
Well, you see my momma taught me: aim for the stars and you'll land on the moon.
Reply 79
What goods the moon when you wanna be amongst the stars?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending