The Student Room Group

Do you wait for your friends to contact you?

Hello,

A couple years ago I used to pretty much always initiate the contact but now I just back off because I feel like people will find me annoying, desperate etc and as a result I hardly contact people first anymore.

Are you guilty of waiting for others to message/ring you in order to keep in touch or do you initiate the conversation?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moment of truth
Hello,

A couple years ago I used to pretty much always initiate the contact but now I just back off because I feel like people will find me annoying, desperate etc and as a result I hardly contact people first anymore.

Are you guilty of waiting for others to message/ring you in order to keep in touch or do you initiate the conversation?

Mix of both, sometimes it gets a bit annoying if I'm the one who keeps having to contact my friends. Then on other occasions they'll give me a call. I think as people get older their life gets busier and they are less likely to keep calling their friends, not in a bad way just in a that's life way.
Original post by lyrical_lie
Mix of both, sometimes it gets a bit annoying if I'm the one who keeps having to contact my friends. Then on other occasions they'll give me a call. I think as people get older their life gets busier and they are less likely to keep calling their friends, not in a bad way just in a that's life way.

This tbh. It can be annoying but I try and contact my friends a few times a week at least though. Thankfully it's a pretty shared effort between me and closest friends.
I was just thinking about this not long ago.
I'm usually the one texting people first and starting a convo, makes me wonder why they dont put effort in.
I used to be the one who always text them first and one day I decided to stop. After that I got hardly any texts so I just deal with it now because it annoyed me so much
Reply 5
I initiate the conversation with my friends,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
I used to be the one who always text them first and one day I decided to stop. After that I got hardly any texts so I just deal with it now because it annoyed me so much

What do you mean deal with it? You just leave them to themselves and don't make an effort anymore?
With friends it's always a joint effort. With my crush, it was mainly me. I hate always initiating conversation, but it depends who it's with. I know there's a few of my mates that are like yeah I can talk to you almost everyday so it's pretty normal for any of us to start the conversation without feeling like we're annoying one another.
Original post by I Procrastinate
I was just thinking about this not long ago.
I'm usually the one texting people first and starting a convo, makes me wonder why they dont put effort in.

Maybe you could try and not text them first and see if they message you if you don't bother?
Sometimes, sometimes not. If I haven't spoken to a friend in a while, I'll message them to see how they're doing, since I know I appreciate it when friends do that with me.

It's easy to lose touch otherwise, and I know nobody wants that.
Reply 10
I love to be by myself so much that I forget that other people exist. I am the sort of friend people have to get into contact with. And they usually do so I guess it works
Original post by moment of truth
What do you mean deal with it? You just leave them to themselves and don't make an effort anymore?

Pretty much. I occasionally still text one friend but thats about it. I don't see the point tbh, when I message it can feel like you are forcing them to talk to you and when you stop and see that you don't get messages from them, it kinda reinforces that feeling which makes me feel a bit ****
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Pretty much. I occasionally still text one friend but thats about it. I don't see the point tbh, when I message it can feel like you are forcing them to talk to you and when you stop and see that you don't get messages from them, it kinda reinforces that feeling which makes me feel a bit ****

Yeah, I get what you mean and that feeling is horrible.
I'm usually always the person who initiates the conversations, and thus I always feel like I'm pestering. Hardly anyone messages me first unless they need me for something, which by then I guess shows how much of a friend I really am.
Original post by Skillocial
I'm usually always the person who initiates the conversations, and thus I always feel like I'm pestering. Hardly anyone messages me first unless they need me for something, which by then I guess shows how much of a friend I really am.

Do you still initiate the conversations now even though you know that they just use you?
I hate to admit it, but yeah. I just tell myself that they must just be busy, or other things, despite the fact that I know they're flat out ignoring me. However, when I do actually bring it up, they just flip out at me and tell me how stressful they've been and whatnot.

One time I was waiting on a friend to message me. She's always extremely dry and one day she randomly messages, "Hey!! :smile:" quickly followed by "oops wrong person." so I know for a fact that a certain number of people don't want to talk to me.
Depends! I quite often contact my really close friends because they often do the same and we're usually in contact. There's a couple of people I used to be really close to who I kind of just gave up with - I was always the first to contact and it got annoying, so now we talk when it suits them!
Original post by Skillocial
I hate to admit it, but yeah. I just tell myself that they must just be busy, or other things, despite the fact that I know they're flat out ignoring me. However, when I do actually bring it up, they just flip out at me and tell me how stressful they've been and whatnot.

One time I was waiting on a friend to message me. She's always extremely dry and one day she randomly messages, "Hey!! :smile:" quickly followed by "oops wrong person." so I know for a fact that a certain number of people don't want to talk to me.

That's harsh of her to say that. You are better off without people that just use you :smile:
Even as we speak friends are ignoring me, believe it or not.
Reply 19
I'm pretty much non-existent to my friends if I don't contact them first (which I rarely do since I hate talking on the phone).

What's more annoying is when you make an effort to send a text and they never reply back :unimpressed:

Quick Reply

Latest