The Student Room Group

Are Tattoos an issue anymore?

I'm aiming to apply for a PhD after I graduate university and was wondering if tattoos were an issue in interviewing for a PhD but also concerning a HE lecturing post in the future.

What's the current views on this? By the way it's only tattoos on arms which remain hidden with a shirt, not any idiotic placements such as neck or face!

thanks
as long as they can be easily and practically (i.e. so you wont boil in summer) hidden, i dont think they're an issue. what the funding panel dont know wont hurt them.
Original post by Ford89
I'm aiming to apply for a PhD after I graduate university and was wondering if tattoos were an issue in interviewing for a PhD but also concerning a HE lecturing post in the future.

What's the current views on this? By the way it's only tattoos on arms which remain hidden with a shirt, not any idiotic placements such as neck or face!

thanks

Better hide them and if it is only to show, that you aim for smart attire at the interview. I think as a PHD it is less of a problem, because you are pretty much like a student yourself (of course that depends where you do it, but in the UK..) or better said, something in between. As a lecturere/postdoc you can/should be less casual, which would include probably long sleeved (as you would probably would be expected anyway, tatoos or not).

Only problem would be if your tatoos are simply inappropriate or discriminatory, then I would not get my hopes up.
Reply 3
No way should a tattoo hinder you into going higher education and if it did then I'm sure that be some sort of it interesting case you'd have on your hands there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ford89

thanks

My teacher has a tattoo on his right arm and its on the upper part of the arm. You can't really see it even with a short sleeve shirt but if he was wearing a white, see through shirt then its obvious. It didn't stop him from getting the Head of Pschology post though.
I'm sure for a PhD opportunity your appearance will be of no/little importance. As for a lecturing post, if you are sure you can hide it (for example by wearing a shirt, as most of my lecturers do) then no one will even know unless you tell them and it shouldn't be an issue.
Just don't get any on your neck or face. Because that is dumb.
Just make sure you can cover it up if necessary, and that it's not offensive.

I've known university staff with bright pink hair, goth boots, and a conviction for assaulting a police officer on campus (this wasn't all the same person!) but it does go to show that universities often aren't as strict on these things as you might imagine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thanks for the replies everyone, the tattoos most definitely are not offensive (mostly centred around my son). I'd be disappointed in this day and age if someone couldn't look past artwork on ones arm compared to their personal and academic achievements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending