The Student Room Group

Should I bring my games console with me to university?

Starting Uni in September and seriously wondering whether or not I should bring my PS4. Half of my friends say it will be fine, the other half say it's not worth the risk.

I spend pretty much all of my spare time on it, I adore it and not sure I can live without it. But I'd take that every time over losing it and all my saves.

Have you taken a console with you? Do you regret it? Have you or anyone you know had their console stolen?

I'm planning on living on campus in uni accommodation, I should add.
Original post by Solid_Snake12345
Starting Uni in September and seriously wondering whether or not I should bring my PS4. Half of my friends say it will be fine, the other half say it's not worth the risk.

I spend pretty much all of my spare time on it, I adore it and not sure I can live without it. But I'd take that every time over losing it and all my saves.

Have you taken a console with you? Do you regret it? Have you or anyone you know had their console stolen?

There's very little risk in taking your PS4 to be honest, especially if you're living in halls. I have mine with me, and had my ps3 all of last year too.

It's nice to be able to chill out and game, but realistically you're probably going to find you won't use it as much when you get to uni. Meeting new people, going out and having a good time alongside assignments eats a lot of what might've previously been 'free time'. That being said, you're undoubtedly going to have time in which you need something to do, and a console is a pretty good solution.

No regrets, my PS4+WiiU currently sit happily side by side for the times that I need them. As far as things being stolen, you needn't worry. Halls are more secure than you're probably imagining, and I still haven't been robbed whilst living in a pretty dodgy area of Coventry for my second year. Theft is much less common than many make it out to be :smile:
Reply 2
If you're capable of locking your door when you're not in your room (plenty of people seemed to go to uni leaving their rooms unlocked, endless scope for pranks there!), and you get insurance for your belongings then I don't see why not. I had my PS3 with me, but didn't hook it up for a month or so due to a mix up when I ordered my monitor. To get from the street to my room you had to go through 2 or 3 different locked doors so it was pretty rare for anyone you didn't know to even get to our flat.

My halls blocked PSN so while I played several different campaigns, any social gaming was pretty restricted to split screen Call of Duty, which was actually really fun.
Going to echo what's been said, as with everything, if you take reasonable precautions there is no reason not to and, again just like anything, even if you don't take precautions you'll be just fine.

I think this way of looking at it may be worth considering: Most laptops will be worth at least as much and people still take them rather than going to computer rooms.
Original post by Solid_Snake12345

My boyfriend has his ps4 at uni with him, it's his pride and joy. I should add that it's been perfectly fine and (touch wood) nothing has happened to it. In fact there's three ps4 consoles in the flat he lives in. As long as you lock your door whenever you're not in your room, I don't see why it shouldn't be okay. Just take it home with you each time you go home :u:
I bought mine to uni in Australia with me but I haven't lived on campus so could tell you the risk of it being stolen. But, like people have said before, you really won't play it as much as you think you might. There is always something more important to do. It is a great thing to have though when you just want to chill out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As long as you lock your door etc. and take all the security measures - I don't see the issue. I'm in second year and I've had my Xbox with me since I started. Wouldn't have it any other way - my xbox is my baby:love:
I would assume that as long as you and roommates lock the door and you trust them it'll be perfectly safe. I'm bringing a thousand quid's worth of PC with me as I'm looking for an aeronautical engineering cource and something that can handle CAD without lifting a finger (and gaming) is vital.

Wish you every success

Quick Reply

Latest