The Student Room Group

NCS The Challenge Thread (Summer 2015)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nicswbu
wooo!:smile: Gwent, Wales! how about you?

Hindleap Warren in East Sussex :frown:
Original post by iamShax
I'm starting then too, my first weeks in Pembrokshire, you?

Awwwww :frown: Hindleap Warren in East Sussex
Hi! Is anyone doing 20th July in Birmingham and are going Cumbria in Part 1? :smile:
Is anybody going to the Benmore centre in Scotland on monday?
Is anyone going to Somerset on 20th July from Thornton Heath?
Second week is Kingston uni?
Reply 985
Is anyone going 20th July Pembrokeshire,??
Reply 986
Original post by iamShax
I'm starting then too, my first weeks in Pembrokshire, you?

Same!
Reply 987
Original post by Hiling99
20th Jul to 6th August in YHA Manobier in Pembrokeshire! I'm really excited now! Anyone else going there?
Also, for my part 2 they only said 'The Arcade', no other info about the location, I'm not sure what they mean...

Me too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 988
Original post by JDB1
Yh I'm starting from London but I'm travelling to Pembrokshire

Which dates??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 989
Is anyone doing NCS starting 27 July in PGL Caythorpe and then Oaklands College in*Welwyn Garden City for week 2 & 3?
Original post by dibdabxx
hey for hampshire ! are you going to Swindon for PGL and Reading uni week 2 ?!!

I'm not, sorry! Just returned from Week One in Wales!
Alright guys, listen up!

I've just come back from NCS week one, and I MASSIVELY overpacked! You really only need a lot of (say 6) t-shirts that you don't mind getting wet/sandy/dirty etc. We were given an NCS sweatshirt and two t-shirts which we wore a lot of the time. Pack fabric shorts, not denim! Depending on your location, it does get super cold at night (WALES!) so bring hoodies you can fling over the top to avoid getting chilly.

(Sidenote: girls, don't bother taking massive makeup bags - you honestly will not use them, even if - like me! - you are the most self conscious person; you will not need that much -concealer, mascara and setting spray is pretty much all I used. It slides off your face during activities otherwise ^.^)

You will need at least two pairs of shoes - water shoes are great for surfing, but nothing else - old (fairly grippy) trainers, that you don't mind getting wet or dirty, as well as flipflops/sandals, are a must. DO NOT FORGET SUNCREAM! I forgot to put some on on the very first day (we went surfing) and my face is still burnt four or five days later... not fun! After-sun can be a lifesaver in those situations though, and moisturizer works wonders.

Bring stuff to do on the coach journey, books, magazines, iPod, games, whatever. (Portable chargers are honestly a lifesaver, but bring spare batteries!) Get comfortable and be prepared for a long journey! Try and talk to people even before you get on the bus/coach, too, though - it makes life a lot easier when choosing seats if you are already having a conversation with someone!

All in all, take lots of photos/videos, make friends and have fun! It is honestly so amazing and I can't wait to see everyone on Monday at the residential! :smile:
Original post by alaskayounglives
Alright guys, listen up!

I've just come back from NCS week one, and I MASSIVELY overpacked! You really only need a lot of (say 6) t-shirts that you don't mind getting wet/sandy/dirty etc. We were given an NCS sweatshirt and two t-shirts which we wore a lot of the time. Pack fabric shorts, not denim! Depending on your location, it does get super cold at night (WALES!) so bring hoodies you can fling over the top to avoid getting chilly.

(Sidenote: girls, don't bother taking massive makeup bags - you honestly will not use them, even if - like me! - you are the most self conscious person; you will not need that much -concealer, mascara and setting spray is pretty much all I used. It slides off your face during activities otherwise ^.^)

You will need at least two pairs of shoes - water shoes are great for surfing, but nothing else - old (fairly grippy) trainers, that you don't mind getting wet or dirty, as well as flipflops/sandals, are a must. DO NOT FORGET SUNCREAM! I forgot to put some on on the very first day (we went surfing) and my face is still burnt four or five days later... not fun! After-sun can be a lifesaver in those situations though, and moisturizer works wonders.

Bring stuff to do on the coach journey, books, magazines, iPod, games, whatever. (Portable chargers are honestly a lifesaver, but bring spare batteries!) Get comfortable and be prepared for a long journey! Try and talk to people even before you get on the bus/coach, too, though - it makes life a lot easier when choosing seats if you are already having a conversation with someone!

All in all, take lots of photos/videos, make friends and have fun! It is honestly so amazing and I can't wait to see everyone on Monday at the residential! :smile:

What were the showers like?

Did you have to take turns and share the same shower?

How many people were in each tent and did you decide who you share it with?

Was the tent and sleeping bags provided for you?

Glad you had a great time btw, and now I am definitely exicited for when I'm going.

Thank you in advance.
Original post by LibraPower
What were the showers like?

Did you have to take turns and share the same shower?

How many people were in each tent and did you decide who you share it with?

Was the tent and sleeping bags provided for you?

Glad you had a great time btw, and now I am definitely exicited for when I'm going.

Thank you in advance.

The showers at our site were pretty standard - I have a tendency to wake up super early when camping, so I was usually the first one there, and first thing in the morning they take a few minutes to warm up. There were about eight showers at our campsite, but I think it depends on the prestige of wherever you are going.

As far as I was aware, there wasn't any queues for the shower, because everyone arrived back from activities at different times, but as I said, I always went first thing in the morning, so I'm not sure.

Tent and sleeping bags are provided, yes, as are roll mats - but if you have a self-inflating one lying around at home it is worth bringing it. Unless you plan on stuffing the sleeping bag case with a hoodie and lying on it every night, I would also say to bring a pillow - small is fine.

I was in a tent of six girls - four in my pod, two in the other. There were two types of tent at our site, the green ones like ours and the blue ones, of which I'm not entirely sure about the layout.

Have a great time! It's absolutely worth it!
Is anyone here going to their first week on Monday to North Devon?
Reply 995
27th july-13th August (North London)

First week: Surrey
Second week: Emily Bowes Court
Third: Southgate college

anyone going??
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 996
My NCS starts Monday the 20th in Derbyshire, anyone joining me?
Original post by alaskayounglives
Alright guys, listen up!

WOAH WHAT THERE'S CAMPING????:/// how long for?
Original post by mayaCOBHC
WOAH WHAT THERE'S CAMPING????:/// how long for?

1 day
Reply 999
Anyone going on the 13th JULY to Pembrokshire!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending