The Student Room Group

NCS The Challenge Thread (Summer 2015)

Scroll to see replies

Just about to start the second week tomorrow. Met some great people!

Posted from TSR Mobile
At ncs right now (week 2) and to be honest I'm not really enjoying it. It's probably because I haven't really made any friends and I've tried hard to but the people in my group aren't really open to me (like they are talkative and loud to each other but not really to me). Hopefully the activities this week will be more interesting but so far I'm not enjoying myself. I'm kind of upset because everyone has been posting about all the friends they have made in ncs and all the fun they have had. Ncs has kind of knocked my confidence down because it feels like nobody wants to be friends with me. Obviously this isn't the case for everyone and many people loved the people they met, I just feel like I'm the only one who didn't.
I completed NCS today, what an experience. Generally speak I have enjoyed it but I am glad I went with friends because i havent made any new ones.
Week 1: Derbyshire - literally the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Stayed at an activity centre and slept in a room with 11 other people which was the worst not thing about Week one. We did crate climbing, Jacobs ladder, raft building and even climbed up a waterfall which was terrifying. Food wasn't good, lived off fruit.
Week 2: Hull University - food was better and got my own room (yay). Talked to charities, given a load of condoms which we blew up and got our leaders award.
Week 3: local school- WORST WEEK EVER. So boring and just really pointless. Decided what charity we wanted to work with and fund raised but that is it.
Week 4: St Andrews Hospice - way better than I thought it would be. Built a sand pit, pirate ship and made the garden better for the children. Felt so good knowing that our work was worth it when all the children came out into the garden.
The last thing have to do is go to graduation on the 10th of September, so exiting :smile:.
Original post by ouatislifex
At ncs right now (week 2) and to be honest I'm not really enjoying it. It's probably because I haven't really made any friends and I've tried hard to but the people in my group aren't really open to me (like they are talkative and loud to each other but not really to me). Hopefully the activities this week will be more interesting but so far I'm not enjoying myself. I'm kind of upset because everyone has been posting about all the friends they have made in ncs and all the fun they have had. Ncs has kind of knocked my confidence down because it feels like nobody wants to be friends with me. Obviously this isn't the case for everyone and many people loved the people they met, I just feel like I'm the only one who didn't.

Perhaps you should tell your senior mentor how you feel. At my NCS, there were a group of people, mostly from the same team, who appeared to be segregating themselves from everyone else, but once they found out about how others felt they decided to change for the better. Surprisingly enough that team who seemed to be segregating themselves also had a person who was kinda in your shoes, he felt like he didn't really belong in his team, but after week 3 he seems to have fit in with his team a lot more. However he did make a lot of friends with people from other teams, myself included. Have you managed to make friends with people from other teams?
Original post by Millissa
I completed NCS today, what an experience. Generally speak I have enjoyed it but I am glad I went with friends because i havent made any new ones.
Week 1: Derbyshire - literally the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Stayed at an activity centre and slept in a room with 11 other people which was the worst not thing about Week one. We did crate climbing, Jacobs ladder, raft building and even climbed up a waterfall which was terrifying. Food wasn't good, lived off fruit.
Week 2: Hull University - food was better and got my own room (yay). Talked to charities, given a load of condoms which we blew up and got our leaders award.
Week 3: local school- WORST WEEK EVER. So boring and just really pointless. Decided what charity we wanted to work with and fund raised but that is it.
Week 4: St Andrews Hospice - way better than I thought it would be. Built a sand pit, pirate ship and made the garden better for the children. Felt so good knowing that our work was worth it when all the children came out into the garden.
The last thing have to do is go to graduation on the 10th of September, so exiting :smile:.

How comes you have a week 4?
Original post by PantherTV
How comes you have a week 4?

I thought everyone did...did you only have 3 weeks then?
Reply 1406
It depends which course you chose (or get given without a choice). I didnt get a choice but people from my group chose the 3 week course so they can go on family holiday.
It was honestly the best thing ever!!! Can't wait till graduation!!!!
Honestly it was terrible , week one was ok but after that it started to go downhill, for week two we had to sleep in tents which where child size and had beds which where about 1.5 meters long, the whole day was spent sitting around and commuting for minimum 50 minutes each way by public transport to another tent which was located in a school field in order to do our showcase, because we where in tents half the recipes we were given we where not able to do due to lack of oven ect, we had to wash up by bringing water from a tap which was a 5 minute walk from our tents. Week three was mostly us just sitting around and planning for about 1 hour out of the 6 we where there for, and don't get me started on the types of people.
My Graduation is on the 21st September, LEICESTER
Reply 1410
My graduation is the 14th September Leicester

Posted from TSR Mobile
What happens at the graduation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone, I'm considering doing the challenge for next summer, but I'm really scared of heights and would be terrified of the abseiling, climbing in the first week. Are you forced to do everything, or can you pull out if you can't face it? This is my main concern.
Original post by ViscountViktor
Hi everyone, I'm considering doing the challenge for next summer, but I'm really scared of heights and would be terrified of the abseiling, climbing in the first week. Are you forced to do everything, or can you pull out if you can't face it? This is my main concern.

They do really encourage you to do it. But if you really really don't want you, they won't make you do anything. Most people like you do end up doing at least one thing they didn't think they could do. Everyone is really supportive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1414
What was it like the very first time you met your group? Was it awkward? Did anyone in like the whole thing look like they were left out of their group? Thanks
Original post by Em8394
What was it like the very first time you met your group? Was it awkward? Did anyone in like the whole thing look like they were left out of their group? Thanks

It was awkward at first! But it is for everyone! By the end of the first day, everyone is quite comfortable with one another.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi my name Is Joshua bleau I am doing the ncs challenge on the 26th of June and I've already
have started to pack my clothes and
I'm doing late July onwards starts 21st of July in north east. Has anyone else got the same one I know no one going and I'm super nervous
Original post by chlozil_
Hey, I'm doing it from 27th July-14th Aug I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

r u doing the only girls or the mixed one
Yo just finished 1st week, honestly didn't enjoy it T-T

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending