The Student Room Group

Drink Date Advice

I'm 27 and so far have had little in terms of a love life... so Im still a bit confused and needing advice. There's a girl I've been chatting to on a dating site recently and we've been getting on pretty well on there so I was gonna ask her out for a drink at the weekend. So what I'm wondering is:

1) Would it be a bad idea to have a couple drinks before I met her? I'm not exactly a nervous wreck in general, but I certainly don't reek of confidence. I feel like I could really do with at least a couple to loosen me up and get conversation going to avoid any awkward silences. I'm just worried about her smelling it on my breath, maybe some sort of spirit?

2) What's the best way to greet each other? A hug? Kiss? I'm pretty sure I've heard about people going for a handshake but surely that's a bit formal?

3) How long should I actually expect to stay out for? I'll count myself lucky if she actually wants to stay out for more than an hour unlike my last date... but from what I've read elsewhere it sounds like some peoples 'dates' a more like actual nights out followed by asking the girl back to theirs?

4) I've noticed some people writing about their dates saying they kissed few times... but how does that work if you're just going out for a drink at a bar / pub? or is that more if you end up on a dancefloor or something?

5) Do I pay for everything? I'm happy to... but if she offers to get a round in or something, what do I do? Or do we take it in turns? She's considerably younger than me (20) so I'd feel pretty weird if I didn't pay for at least most of it

6) What's the best way to say goodbye? Do I walk her to the bus / taxi place? Even if it seems like she's in a rush to get away from me?

I hate to sound like some kind of paranoid mess, but these are things I could really do with clearing up to save embarrassing myself :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by dannygg1988
I'm 27 and so far have had very little in terms of a love life... had sex a handful of times and randomly got off with other girls, thats about it. There's a girl I've been chatting to on a dating site recently and we've been getting on pretty well on there so I was gonna ask her out for a drink at the weekend. So what I'm wondering is:

1) Would it be a bad idea to have a couple drinks before I met her? I'm not exactly a nervous wreck in general, but I certainly don't reek of confidence. I feel like I could really do with at least a couple to loosen me up and get conversation going to avoid any awkward silences. I'm just worried about her smelling it on my breath, maybe some sort of spirit?

2) What's the best way to greet each other? A hug? Kiss? I'm pretty sure I've heard about people going for a handshake but surely that's a bit formal?

3) How long should I actually expect to stay out for? I'll count myself lucky if she actually wants to stay out for more than an hour unlike my last date... but from what I've read elsewhere it sounds like some peoples 'dates' a more like actual nights out followed by asking the girl back to theirs?

4) I've noticed some people writing about their dates saying they kissed few times... but how does that work if you're just going out for a drink at a bar / pub? or is that more if you end up on a dancefloor or something?

5) Do I pay for everything? I'm happy to... but if she offers to get a round in or something, what do I do? Or do we take it in turns? She's considerably younger than me (20) so I'd feel pretty weird if I didn't pay for at least most of it

6) What's the best way to say goodbye? Do I walk her to the bus / taxi place? Even if it seems like she's in a rush to get away from me?

I hate to sound like some kind of paranoid mess, but these are things I could really do with clearing up to save embarrassing myself :wink:

1) it wouldn't be terrible, but don't have more than 2. 1 would be ideal.

2) a hug. if she goes for a kiss, reciprocate, but don't initiate at this point.

3) tbh, I would expect to have at least 5-6 drinks, and go to maybe 2 places. After a few drinks, the conversation should hopefully start to flow.

4) yes - going somewhere with a dancefloor is a good idea, as it eases the transition from conversation to copulation.

5) I would probably expect to pay for the food, but take it in turns on the drinks rounds.

6) hopefully you would say goodbye in the morning. but if it all goes tits up, then yes, walk her to a taxi, give her a hug and a kiss on the cheek and tell her you had a great time.
Reply 2
Have a drink, then brush your teeth + gargle mouthwash.
I'm 27 and so far have had very little in terms of a love life... had sex a handful of times and randomly got off with other girls, thats about it. There's a girl I've been chatting to on a dating site recently and we've been getting on pretty well on there so I was gonna ask her out for a drink at the weekend. So what I'm wondering is:

Don't drink beforehand. You'll end up hammered. It's also thoroughly unhelpful to rely on alcohol for social confidence. Are you going to drink every time you see her if it goes well?!

Maybe a quick hug. Definitely not a kiss. Handshakes are kind of awkward I think in that situation.

Totally depends how well it goes. A sign of a good date is time just flying past.

They probably mean at the end.

Buy the first round, then if she offers to buy the next let her. Then alternate it. Don't come across awkward about the whole "who pays for what" situation- that won't go down well.

Again, you see how it's going. If it's gone well offering to walk her there is a good idea- that way she can say no if she'd rather you not without it being awkward, but you still come across gentlemanly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending