The Student Room Group

Can't afford to go university?

I've been accepted by King's, really want to go there, problem is that because of personal reasons, I can't take out a loan from student finance, or anywhere else really.
King's only has one scholarship that is suitable enough for what I am doing, and that is only £1000, where would I get the other £8000 from?

Can't afford it, but I really want to pursue my studies. Looks like I might have to just take uni out of my options. Is there anything I can do?
Reply 1
Original post by SalihaD
I've been accepted by King's, really want to go there, problem is that because of personal reasons, I can't take out a loan from student finance, or anywhere else really.
King's only has one scholarship that is suitable enough for what I am doing, and that is only £1000, where would I get the other £8000 from?

Can't afford it, but I really want to pursue my studies. Looks like I might have to just take uni out of my options. Is there anything I can do?

You either have to go away and earn the money, or have someone give it to you. Apart from that, loans are the only way to fund university study.
https://gk2.financemyfuture.co.uk , I never used that site myself but it has been suggested to me a few times on TSR in the past I wanted to study aboard but couldn't afford the fee's.

Maybe you should properly look into that or any similar types of services. You could even try a bank loan to try to pay for a bit of it but I would assume you would to have at least a part time jobs as well.

I would suggest to defer your offer to next year and explain your financial circumstances and work for a full year so you can offer at least your first year fee's, cant you ask family members to help you fund it and how come you cant get a student loan
Reply 3
Original post by SalihaD

Student loan should be open to anyone who hasnt already done a degree maybe phone up either your uni and see if you can speak to someone and explain whatever your circumstances are but personal reasons shouldn't stop you from taking out the loan that isnt connected to how much your parents earn and if the problem is anything to do with number of years youve been in the UK if you phone and speak to an adviser they will be able to help
Original post by SalihaD

No there is nothing you can do, unless you can magic up £8k or more anyway a degree is not the be all and end all its an easy pass for 3 years get a job, get experience apply for more senior jobs after a while, or even get on a funded degree if you must attend uni NHS and social work degrees are good and the employment opportunities afterwards are probe the best !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending