The Student Room Group

Any advice for long-term unemployment

Looking for advice really. I moved to University September 2022 having just left my last role (was there for 1.5 years), was super excited to get stuck into something new. However I have had countless rejections (Receive at least 4 a day), have have very few interviews (under 10), am feeling really stuck and stressed, I love working and have worked since a young age feels like there is something wrong with me at this point.

I have followed advice from people I know, simplify CV, write follow up letters, create and utilise linked in, go to careers fares, email and phone others as much as possible. But it never seems to work its getting really worrisome especially as living on my loan means I can't actually afford to do anything, I keep having to hear others on their nights out and adventures, which I just cant afford to do. This has had a huge impact on me making friends, and fitting in, it also means I couldn't afford to live with friends if I was able to make any.

Even recently I had a job interview whereby I got rejected about 20 minutes after I had got back to my flat - seems like people take one look at me and decide that I am not good enough - I have been rejected from everywhere jobs cleaning toilets - at fast food places - litter picking, I just don't understand what I am doing so wrong.

Anyone got any advice on how to get out of this cycle?
Reply 1
Have you asked for feedback from interviews?
What type of work have you done before?
Can you get help from your careers department at University looking at your CV or mock interview practice?
Do you have an older friend who can help guide you or help with answering interview questions?
What about signing up with agencies for adhoc work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending