The Student Room Group

Is A-levels maths extremely hard??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by liquidlizard
C3 and C4 are just impossible

No they're not. Many people pass each year.
Im doing AS I would say:
C1 - 1/10
C2 - 3/10
S1 - 3/10

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by morgan8002

Yeah but they're not '1/10'
Original post by liquidlizard
Yeah but they're not '1/10'

I gave them 3/10. They're a little difficult, but nothing like impossible.
Original post by TheKian
I would say that I am gifted at maths, sailed through GCSE with an A* and did a level 2 further maths and got an A ( even though I put it on low priority). Also I'm doing further maths A level.

Just for the record, if you get stuck with stats for your applied module, you will cry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by UT97
A-Level maths is fine, I'd rate it like a 2 or 3. Definitely the easiest subject i do (out of F. maths, physics, STEP). If you're not naturally gifted then just do all the past papers- and I mean since like 2004- and you'll do very well, there is only so much they can ask you. A2 is slightly harder than AS; but if you do well at AS you won't suddenly fall off a cliff in A2

Original post by aturner458
I love maths, it would be my favourite subject, but I wouldn't call it easy!
I did additional maths GCSE and my maths GCSE a year early but A Level is a bit of a jump up. C1 & M1 are fine, C2 is okay, then in upper sixth C3 & S1 and great, but C4 is ridiculous! It may just be my teacher, but no one understands it in my class, who are the top in my school!
But at the end of the day if you enjoy maths, then I'd definitely recommend it :-)

Original post by pryngles
1, but a2 is much harder than as

Original post by Ben4
Im doing AS I would say:
C1 - 1/10
C2 - 3/10
S1 - 3/10

Posted from TSR Mobile

hi could you help me with this? It's CIE A level maths.

Stacey was given 10 stickers for Christmas. She then starts to buy stickers for a total period of 52 weeks. The number of stickers she buys each week is 2 more than the number she bought the previous week.

a) If she bought 70 stickers in the 26th week, find the number of stickers she would have at the end of 52 weeks.

b) If she can only afford to buy 420 stickers in the last 4 weeks, find the maximum number of stickers she can buy in the first week.

c) The sum of the first n terms of a sequence is given by 2(3n+1 - 3). By finding the nth term of the sequence, or otherwise, show that this is a geometric progression, and state the values of the first term and common ratio. Explain, whether this geometric progression converges.

Original post by Ben4
Im doing AS I would say:
C1 - 1/10
C2 - 3/10
S1 - 3/10

Posted from TSR Mobile

hi. did you not receive the notification that I quoted you to seek your assistance on answering this Cambridge International Exams (CIE) A level maths question? perhaps TSR went bonkers. Anyway here it is.

Stacey was given 10 stickers for Christmas. She then starts to buy stickers for a total period of 52 weeks. The number of stickers she buys each week is 2 more than the number she bought the previous week.

a) If she bought 70 stickers in the 26th week, find the number of stickers she would have at the end of 52 weeks.

b) If she can only afford to buy 420 stickers in the last 4 weeks, find the maximum number of stickers she can buy in the first week.

c) The sum of the first n terms of a sequence is given by 2(3n+1 - 3). By finding the nth term of the sequence, or otherwise, show that this is a geometric progression, and state the values of the first term and common ratio. Explain, whether this geometric progression converges.
I'm in year 11 an I do Addition Maths which covers a lot of (what my teacher says is hard) a-level content.

I'd say what I've covered was about a 5, i just think its recalling formulas not given on the formula sheet and the method accurately thats the hard bit for the exam
Original post by alexsmxth
I'm in year 11 an I do Addition Maths which covers a lot of (what my teacher says is hard) a-level content.

I'd say what I've covered was about a 5, i just think its recalling formulas not given on the formula sheet and the method accurately thats the hard bit for the exam

hi Alex. I asked a couple of people above on getting some help to solve a maths question but I've not gotten a reply from them. perhaps you could help me?

The following is a Cambridge International Exams (CIE) A level maths question.

Original post by Vanessa Leah
hi. did you not receive the notification that I quoted you to seek your assistance on answering this Cambridge International Exams (CIE) A level maths question? perhaps TSR went bonkers. Anyway here it is.

For the first, find a general formula for the nth term of the sequence. This should contain an arbitrary constant. Use the value that you know to find the value of the constant, then sum the series to 52. Remember to add 10.

The second is much the same. Sum the last four terms to find the value of the constant.

For the third, use Un=SnSn1U_{n} = S_n - S_{n-1}
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sondry886
Hey hey,

just to bump on this nice conversation. How would you put in order from the hardest to the easiest A Level the following. And I mean I am not taking AS and then A2 but the whole A Level in one go.

1.Accounting CIE
2.Mathematics CIE
3.Economics CIE

I've had some experience with CIE and I would say:

Easiest to hardest:

Accounting,
Economics,
Mathematics

Quick Reply

Latest