The Student Room Group

Studying medicine abroad in English in Europe!!!

Hello! 😊
I am currently doing my AS. I am studying Chemistry, Biology, Maths and ICT.
I have done some research and found out that you can study medicine abroad in Europe and in English and then yiu can come back to UK and you're degree will be accepted.
However I am finding it really difficult to find entry requirements or minimum grades for A level that theu accept. I have looked at Pleven university in Bulgaria and Cluj university in Romania.
If someone can tell me A level requirements and any other information about studying medicine abroad in English in Europe that would be great 😀
Oh! And any information about if there are any exams that you will have to do before apllying to the universities would be great as well (kind of like UKCAT) 👍👍👍
Thanks so much in advance!!!!!!! ^_^
:smile: :smile: :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hii, I recommend you go on eunicas its for UK students who want to study in other EU universities (which are accredited). It gives you and outline of what grades required in what subjects, fees and any entrance exam requirements.
I believe that for medicine, universities in Romania require BBD in Chemistry, Biology and any third subject. Some universities require entrance exams and universities are not that expensive compared to those in Bulgaria.
Reply 2
Original post by dibb
Hii, I recommend you go on eunicas its for UK students who want to study in other EU universities (which are accredited). It gives you and outline of what grades required in what subjects, fees and any entrance exam requirements.
I believe that for medicine, universities in Romania require BBD in Chemistry, Biology and any third subject. Some universities require entrance exams and universities are not that expensive compared to those in Bulgaria.

Thank you!!!! 😁😁😁😁
Original post by dibb

Original post by 123R321
Thank you!!!!

It's BBB! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by WishIHadRevised

Yuppp... just looked at the eunicas website :frown: :smile: :smile: thanks so much again :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by WishIHadRevised

I meant :smile: not :frown: ahahaha
Why do you want to go to Europe? I admit, I don't know much about the course in Europe so forgive me if I am jumping to conclusions, but part of me thinks that although the UK Says it accepts Europe degrees for jobs here, if the grades are lower to get in, in Europe, then I would expect the UK job market to look more favourably on UK graduates as they have got into a more competitive course? I am also skeptical about the quality of what you learn in Romania/Bulgaria etc, just from my past experience working in a hospital, my hospital employed some eastern european nurses and some were way below par, I mean, they could not perform the simple tasks that UK health care assistants perform. It would be scary if medicine is similar to that outcome! However I do currently have a friend studying in Warsaw on the postgraduate medicine course and he loves, but again I question the quality, as he got rejections from all places he applied to in the UK, but was accepted straight onto the course abroad.
Reply 7
I'm Polish and can confirm we do have good medical courses taught in English. The reason it's easier to get into them it's because they're relatively expensive - roughly 12 k pounds a year and the course lasts 6 years.
Now a funny thing - I got a conditional offer from a UK university (MBChB) but have never got into medicine in Poland (I tried 4 times:wink:
Original post by bunny901
I'm Polish and can confirm we do have good medical courses taught in English. The reason it's easier to get into them it's because they're relatively expensive - roughly 12 k pounds a year and the course lasts 6 years.
Now a funny thing - I got a conditional offer from a UK university (MBChB) but have never got into medicine in Poland (I tried 4 times:wink:

Haha that's interesting! Thanks :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Physflop
Why do you want to go to Europe? I admit, I don't know much about the course in Europe so forgive me if I am jumping to conclusions, but part of me thinks that although the UK Says it accepts Europe degrees for jobs here, if the grades are lower to get in, in Europe, then I would expect the UK job market to look more favourably on UK graduates as they have got into a more competitive course? I am also skeptical about the quality of what you learn in Romania/Bulgaria etc, just from my past experience working in a hospital, my hospital employed some eastern european nurses and some were way below par, I mean, they could not perform the simple tasks that UK health care assistants perform. It would be scary if medicine is similar to that outcome! However I do currently have a friend studying in Warsaw on the postgraduate medicine course and he loves, but again I question the quality, as he got rejections from all places he applied to in the UK, but was accepted straight onto the course abroad.

Were these nurses 'way below par', or were they trained to have slightly different areas of responsibility and expertise (n.b. I have no idea whether this hypothesis explains your observations)? In the US it's not doctors that routinely draw blood, put in cannulas, etc - if a US doctor started working in the UK and was utterly incapable of doing these things, would you assume that they were 'below par', or would you stop and wonder whether there was another explanation?
One of the most popular medical courses taught in English are the ones in Krakow, Poznan, Gdansk and Warsaw.

Krakow's GEM requires bachelor degree in lab sciences and GAMSAT (53 and above), the course for school leavers is highly competetive, they have only 20 places or so and they have their own admission test (biology and chemistry)

Poznań requires:
for high school leavers - good grades in Biology, CHemistry Physics and English ("good" is not defined) plus they also have their own admission test (biol, chem, phys)
for graduates - GAMSAT/UKCAT/BMAT and a bachelor degree in lab sciences.

Kraków is generally known as the most popular destination for foreign students wanting to study medicine in Poland but its also the hardest to get in.
Poznań has a good reputation too, they also have pharmacy, dentistry and physiotherapy taught in English.
you might want to have a look at this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6EKONDrM1U

I'm not too familiar with Gdansk and Warsaw requirements but I believe it will be easy to google it :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ronove
Were these nurses 'way below par', or were they trained to have slightly different areas of responsibility and expertise (n.b. I have no idea whether this hypothesis explains your observations)? In the US it's not doctors that routinely draw blood, put in cannulas, etc - if a US doctor started working in the UK and was utterly incapable of doing these things, would you assume that they were 'below par', or would you stop and wonder whether there was another explanation?

No, they were below par. You can't be a nurse and not be able to do what even the HCAs are trained to do, if you can't do that, there's literally nothing left that you are trained to do! They were shocking, and I'm not talking about procedures just General hospital tasks
Can you give aa few examples Physflop? I am asking only because I am a nurse myself and I am just curious :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Physflop
No, they were below par. You can't be a nurse and not be able to do what even the HCAs are trained to do, if you can't do that, there's literally nothing left that you are trained to do! They were shocking, and I'm not talking about procedures just General hospital tasks

Like bunny901, I'm curious to hear what these tasks were? And what was your role in the hospital?
Original post by Ronove
Like bunny901, I'm curious to hear what these tasks were? And what was your role in the hospital?

I was a healthcare assistant! They couldnt understand turning oxygen and air on and off, they couldn't understand repositioning for pressure area relief, they couldn't understand what vital signs were normal and which needed to be dealt with. Come on, if I'm a healthcare assistant and they needed me watching over them all the time, there's something wrong!!!
Where were they from?
Hello !

Does anyone knows anything about studying medicine in Netherlands or in Spain (I am interested in courses taught in English).

Thanks in advance x
Reply 17
Original post by roksana92
Hello !

Does anyone knows anything about studying medicine in Netherlands or in Spain (I am interested in courses taught in English).

Thanks in advance x

In the Netherlands there are a couple of courses where the Bachelors part (so the first three of the six years) is taught in English.

I take it that there is something similar-ish in Spain, from what I've seen this guy talk about on here:

GDC-EDUCATION
x
I know that the Czech republic also does the first three of six years in English and the application process is different. I have a few friends that study there and they had to write a separate entrance exam, which may be easier, but then they are very hard on their students once you're in. From what I've heard, the philosophy is to give people a chance, but you really can't mess it up once they do.
I also know that in the Netherlands they have international courses with the first part in English but they seem to be evry small classes so it must be terribly competitive
Reply 19
I have contacted EMS, they helped me get a place and assisted in getting me loans and accommodation. They are very straight forward and easy. They asked for the documents and in three weeks my offer was in. Paid the fees and admission was confirmed. I think you should consider them.
good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending