The Student Room Group

What is the purpose of having sex?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by NHM713
-I apologise if I'm complicating things, it's really simple.
Because, you'll never be satisfied, you we always be looking for more.

A reason: Out of understanding.

-What is wrong with pointlessness?

-I don't have a problem with pleasure (it feels good), but, it will lead to pain. It's the a yo-yo effect I'm concerned with. What do you think it (the yo-yo effect) is doing to you?

-To your last question: To find out.

No? Then please to explain away.

What's the point of eating? You will just become hungry again.

That is not a reason, you don't do things "out of understanding". That doesn't even make sense as a sentence. My question was for what purpose do you do things?

Pointlessness is fine but you are talking about living living rationally, and doing things pointlessly is not rational.

What is the yo-yo effect doing? Keeping me going, obviously. If I didn't need to keep striving, if pleasure was something you could attain once and then stop, I wouldn't keep doing anything.

To find out what? The point of continuing to survive?

And not much to explain, what you said simply isn't how most people experience love.
Reply 181
Original post by lucaf
What's the point of eating? You will just become hungry again.

That is not a reason, you don't do things "out of understanding". That doesn't even make sense as a sentence. My question was for what purpose do you do things?

Pointlessness is fine but you are talking about living living rationally, and doing things pointlessly is not rational.

What is the yo-yo effect doing? Keeping me going, obviously. If I didn't need to keep striving, if pleasure was something you could attain once and then stop, I wouldn't keep doing anything.

To find out what? The point of continuing to survive?

And not much to explain, what you said simply isn't how most people experience love.

You need an explanation?

So you're saying life is all about the pursuit of pleasure.
Do you pay bills for pleasure? Go to the toilet for pleasure?

Do you mean it's common practise not to do things out of understanding?
A reason would be to learn.

How do you know that when you said yourself you do things to experience pleasure?

So you're saying you enjoy the chase? Why do you need satisfaction then?
What do you mean by you wouldn't keep doing anything?

Your problem is your fear of uncertainty.

How is that an explanation? What is love?
Reply 182
Original post by NHM713
You need an explanation?

So you're saying life is all about the pursuit of pleasure.
Do you pay bills for pleasure? Go to the toilet for pleasure?

Do you mean it's common practise not to do things out of understanding?
A reason would be to learn.

How do you know that when you said yourself you do things to experience pleasure?

So you're saying you enjoy the chase? Why do you need satisfaction then?
What do you mean by you wouldn't keep doing anything?

Your problem is your fear of uncertainty.

How is that an explanation? What is love?

This is why my phrasing was "If doing something doesn't, even indirectly, give you some form of positive subjective experience or avoid some form of negative subjective experience then it is pointless.". Paying the bills and going to toilet come under avoiding negative sensations, which in those cases are being cold because you're homeless or being uncomfortable because you pissed yourself.

You don't do anything "out of understanding", because once more that doesn't actually make sense as a sentence. Not sure your grasp of English is the best. Learning is something that people do either because they enjoy it, or because it allows them to get qualifications to do jobs to get money to pay for things that give them enjoyment (coming under "even indirectly").

And I don't have to do pointless things to know they are irrational. Hell, a lot of the things I do would be considered pointless if "obtaining pleasure" was not a point itself. You are just doing the same thing but not even having the goal of obtaining pleasure.

I don't need satisfaction, I want it because it subjectively feels good. It may be fleeting, but then I just strive to obtain it again. You have yet to offer an alternative reason to do things.

How exactly do I fear uncertainty and how is that relevant to what I said?

What is blue? These things are ineffable.
Original post by NHM713
Well I can tell you it has nothing to do with religion.

Why do you think it does?

Because you seem to try and force answers out of people, and I recognise what you said from certain religious people I've met.

I don't think sex has anything to do with religion, but I assumed you were religious.
Original post by NHM713
Why did you put that in caps?

Why are you trying to fix me into a box? how we that help?

if I'm hungry i will act.

I think you missed the point there, buddy.

You put yourself in a box but we can't see the label on the box, I'm just guessing what the label on your box says. :3

Why can't I put things in caps?
Original post by NHM713
If you can't explain it, you don't know what your talking about, you're just making assumptions.

I wish I knew what you were talking about
The purpose of sex...

At first, it was purely because I needed to have sex, because I'm a man and I have needs. I need a woman to satisfy my needs. When I'm having sex with a girl that I'm not romantically involved with, there's no passion or intimacy there, and the only purpose of sex is to satisfy my physical needs.

It's completely different when it comes to the girl that I love. The reason I had sex with her was because she was completely irresistible, I loved her deeply, I felt that sex brought us much closer together. It was an amazing experience making love to her, I remember every moment of every time. Sex never felt the same with other women, no other girl is as good as her. The reason I had sex with the girl that I love was to satisfy her needs and to make her mine. Sex brought us closer, it was a very important part of our relationship and I'm glad we were able to share that. It goes beyond satisfying my physical needs, I'm in love with her so she's more than just a female body, much more than that. It's very hard to explain or to put into words. Also, I had to make sure that she doesn't get it from anyone else, as my woman it's my duty to make love to her to make her feel how much I love her.

Sex is completely different when you have it with a girl that you love, compared to having it with a random woman. Completely different.
Reply 187
Original post by lucaf
This is why my phrasing was "If doing something doesn't, even indirectly, give you some form of positive subjective experience or avoid some form of negative subjective experience then it is pointless.". Paying the bills and going to toilet come under avoiding negative sensations, which in those cases are being cold because you're homeless or being uncomfortable because you pissed yourself.

You don't do anything "out of understanding", because once more that doesn't actually make sense as a sentence. Not sure your grasp of English is the best. Learning is something that people do either because they enjoy it, or because it allows them to get qualifications to do jobs to get money to pay for things that give them enjoyment (coming under "even indirectly").

And I don't have to do pointless things to know they are irrational. Hell, a lot of the things I do would be considered pointless if "obtaining pleasure" was not a point itself. You are just doing the same thing but not even having the goal of obtaining pleasure.

I don't need satisfaction, I want it because it subjectively feels good. It may be fleeting, but then I just strive to obtain it again. You have yet to offer an alternative reason to do things.

How exactly do I fear uncertainty and how is that relevant to what I said?

What is blue? These things are ineffable.

I get it, reward and punishment, right.

No, it's not language that's the problem, it's mindset.

I does matter because you don't understand otherwise.

If you don't need it, then you can stop it. Can you do that? I can't offer it to you, I can only show you how, the rest is up to you.

Because you want me to give you an answer, you don't want to find yourself. why is that?

I get that, but, there must be something that you attribute love to. You must recognise it.
Reply 188
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
Because you seem to try and force answers out of people, and I recognise what you said from certain religious people I've met.

I don't think sex has anything to do with religion, but I assumed you were religious.

Haha! really, that's what you feel?

That the problem, you're looking for a box to put me in, why?
Reply 189
I think you missed the point there, buddy.

You put yourself in a box but we can't see the label on the box, I'm just guessing what the label on your box says. :3

Why can't I put things in caps?

I'm not myself anywhere, you are and trying labelling me too.

How does that help you understand me?
Reply 190
Original post by Yeah dude
I wish I knew what you were talking about

that was a response to this: You just get a better connection with the person when you do it... It's hard to explain.
Original post by NHM713
Which is the case, but, it's not permanent.

Expand? Do you mean the pleasure gained from sex? In, that case, obviously it's not permanent, but the emotionally bond it creates between two partners is long lasting.
Original post by NHM713

I think he is right though. Everyone here has given you perfectly logical answers, but none them satisfy you. You're obviosuly trying to prove some kind of point.
Reply 193
Original post by Jibola240
Expand? Do you mean the pleasure gained from sex? In, that case, obviously it's not permanent, but the emotionally bond it creates between two partners is long lasting.

It's not strong enough, otherwise these couples would stay together forever.
Reply 194
Original post by Jibola240
I think he is right though. Everyone here has given you perfectly logical answers, but none them satisfy you. You're obviosuly trying to prove some kind of point.

Is that justification to put me in a box, label me, suss me out, whatever the process your going through?
Reply 195
Original post by Juicy J
The purpose of sex...

At first, it was purely because I needed to have sex, because I'm a man and I have needs. I need a woman to satisfy my needs. When I'm having sex with a girl that I'm not romantically involved with, there's no passion or intimacy there, and the only purpose of sex is to satisfy my physical needs.

It's completely different when it comes to the girl that I love. The reason I had sex with her was because she was completely irresistible, I loved her deeply, I felt that sex brought us much closer together. It was an amazing experience making love to her, I remember every moment of every time. Sex never felt the same with other women, no other girl is as good as her. The reason I had sex with the girl that I love was to satisfy her needs and to make her mine. Sex brought us closer, it was a very important part of our relationship and I'm glad we were able to share that. It goes beyond satisfying my physical needs, I'm in love with her so she's more than just a female body, much more than that. It's very hard to explain or to put into words. Also, I had to make sure that she doesn't get it from anyone else, as my woman it's my duty to make love to her to make her feel how much I love her.

Sex is completely different when you have it with a girl that you love, compared to having it with a random woman. Completely different.

I have a few questions.

Being irresistible is how you view love?

How is that different from a girl you have just met?

when you make love are you trying to create an some kind of attachment?
Original post by NHM713
I'm not myself anywhere, you are and trying labelling me too.

How does that help you understand me?

I can't understand you, you barely speak english lol

Original post by NHM713
Haha! really, that's what you feel?

See your doing it right now lol (forcing answers out of people)

It's not like I sat down and read what you posted and thought... ooh yeah I really need to 'put that guy in a box'.

It's honestly what I'm picking up from your comments, it's not like you are unbiased or completely neutral, maybe you should adapt the way you try to communicate ideas.

Original post by NHM713
Is that justification to put me in a box, label me, suss me out, whatever the process your going through?

That is not the justification, not nearly, it was a conclusion based on this situation. The justification for 'trying to suss you out' is that you are acting somewhat suspiciously in our eyes, like you have some-kind of agenda you need to reinforce in your own mind, but on the other hand why do we even need a justification to ask YOU a question.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 197
I can't understand you, you barely speak english lol

See your doing it right now lol (forcing answers out of people)

It's not like I sat down and read what you posted and thought... ooh yeah I really need to 'put that guy in a box'.

It's honestly what I'm picking up from your comments, it's not like you are unbiased or completely neutral, maybe you should adapt the way you try to communicate ideas.

I was just thinking the same thing. :smile:

lol I'm just very involved right now. it may not be something you are aware but you still do it, just like what you me forcing answers out of you. I dont think I'm doing that.
Original post by NHM713
I was just thinking the same thing. :smile:

lol I'm just very involved right now. it may not be something you are aware but you still do it, just like what you me forcing answers out of you. I dont think I'm doing that.

It's not the forcing answers out of people, its forcing of specific answers out of people, or at least that is how it seems.
Original post by NHM713
I have a few questions.

Being irresistible is how you view love?

How is that different from a girl you have just met?

when you make love are you trying to create an some kind of attachment?

This is hard to explain, so bear with me.

Love, sexual desire, physical attraction, the act of sex...it's all related (in my opinion). This is how I see it, this is how I feel. It's all connected. Passion, love and sex all go together, I can't separate them.

I love her because she's kind, decent, sweet, she's an amazing girl. How do I view love...I view it as a sense of deep admiration and affection towards someone. I care about her deeply and I feel at my happiest when spending time with her and talking to her. That's love, for me. Might be different for you.

The sexual feelings are there because she's incredibly attractive. She's beautiful and sexy. Since early on, I've always viewed her in a sexual light. Not just as a sexual object, mind you. I can't help that she's irresistible, I can't help that I have intense sexual feelings towards her. She's the perfect girl in my eyes.

It's completely different from a girl that I've just met. For one thing, she's the most beautiful girl I have ever met. The other girls I had sex with weren't as attractive as her, they weren't as good in bed. And I had no kind of emotional connection or even a friendship with them. I wasn't in love with them. I didn't care about them. I just needed sex from them. I was conscious of a complete lack of passion during sex, it was just something I needed desperately. All I could think about was the girl that I love. There was no emotion at all, no feeling of closeness at all. Nothing. It was just a physical act.

When I make love to the girl that I love, I'm not trying to create an attachment. I became attached to the girl before we had even had sex. I became attached to her because of all her qualities. She was there for me, she helped me and she did everything for me. That's why I fell in love with her and that's how we developed a deep bond. The reason I had sex with her was because I needed it, she needed it, and I had to consummate the relationship and made sure I was having sex with her regularly so that she wouldn't go to anyone else. It was a way for us to be completely intimate, we became so much closer. I lose myself completely, she's in my mind and in my thoughts and it's the most wonderful experience. It strengthened our love and it was a way for us to become closer. As the man, it's my duty to make sure that I'm giving her sex to reinforce our relationship, to let her know that she's mine and show her how much I want her, and only her.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending