The Student Room Group

What is the purpose of having sex?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Gott
Then they cannot express love in the same way, just as children can't. The arousal is the same though. I can see you are not content without physiological evidence for the connection but I'm not sure there is any to explain love as a phenomenon, there is still Alot unknown about the mind

Arousal comes from pleasure, what does pleasure and love have to do with one another?

I'm looking for whether we do things understanding what we are doing, or do things because "that's how things are"
Reply 41
Original post by battycatlady
Does there need to be another reason? We do a lot of things simply for pleasure. We watch TV for pleasure, and read. Why not sex?

If your trying to understand something it does. So we have sex, because we want to feel an emotion? What are emotions?
Reply 42
Original post by Gott
Oh piss off, if you can't give an alternative explanation or explain what's wrong with the socially expected reason then I'm out

Why you getting angry, I'm only questioning, what's wrong with that?
Reply 43
Look at all you simpletons being ruled by your dick and fanny, and not your brain.
Reply 44
Original post by Gott
Whether the arrousal from sex and love is the same or how they are linked can only be proved physiologically but there is no reason not to assume that love entails sex.

Yes people are aware that they want to consummate love but of course it is more of a feeling it isn't a logical decision. Love is the motivation but it is possible to consciously decide whether to act upon it. That was probably Freud's thinking

Your understanding of love is attachment.
My understanding of love is compassion.

This is the problem, I don't get the connection between the two (love and sex - my understanding)

Your understanding comes with baggage, which doesn't seem like love.
Reply 45
Original post by NHM713
...outside of making babies, what the reason?

Define purpose.
Original post by NHM713
Really? We are having children later and later in life. Rich countries have a lower birth-rate, so it can't be that important.

it does feel good, but, I'm not so sure about this deep connection thing, it only temporary, the connection is more literal than anything.

Meh, I guess that shows that people aren't only having sex to have children, lower birth rates doesn't mean couples aren't still having sex. At the end of the day, the fundamental feature for the survival of a species is to pass on it's genes, which is done via sex. So it's pretty damn important. Plus, birth rates too low, leads to huge consequences regarding public and private cost.

I don't know about this. But, most people say that they connect more emotionally with their partner when they have sex(obviously it's not the only thing, but it's an important factor). So there must be something to it.
Reply 47
Original post by Gott
Emotions metaphorically can be seen as drives. I don't know what's generally accepted but wouldn't you agree that it was an unconscious instinct to want this emotion? It is agreed that there are unconscious behaviours which are not determined by conscious, linguistic thought. Although obviously it is also accepted that neither nature or nurture is responsible alone (this was a debate of the 20th century)

So sex is an impulse, pleasure, which you can only feel yourself, so how can you can its an act of love?
Reply 49
Original post by xylas
Define purpose.

Why do we have sex?

I have heard it's because it's an act of love, which contradicts my understanding of love.

I have heard it's because it's pleasurable, which is just the feeling of sex, not a logical reason.

so what is it then?
Reply 50
Original post by Gott
Why can't both be aspects of love?

Because one implies addiction, which is not healthy, So how can it be love?

The other is all encompassing, so it does not discriminate, which you do when you have sex with someone.
Reply 51
Original post by NHM713
Why do we have sex?

I have heard it's because it's an act of love, which contradicts my understanding of love.

I have heard it's because it's pleasurable, which is just the feeling of sex, not a logical reason.

so what is it then?

That is different to "what is the purpose of having sex?".

There is not one reason why humans have sex. It is a similar question to "why am I on TSR right now replying to someone who will probably not even take in what I say?".

I do it because I want to and because I can. Humans are complicated but at the end of the day that's the simplest answer I can give you.
Original post by The_Blade

I know a girl who literally slept around for this reason.
Reply 53
Original post by Jibola240
Meh, I guess that shows that people aren't only having sex to have children, lower birth rates doesn't mean couples aren't still having sex. At the end of the day, the fundamental feature for the survival of a species is to pass on it's genes, which is done via sex. So it's pretty damn important. Plus, birth rates too low, leads to huge consequences regarding public and private cost.

I don't know about this. But, most people say that they connect more emotionally with their partner when they have sex(obviously it's not the only thing, but it's an important factor). So there must be something to it.

Having children was mentioned, that's why I brought it up.

So the purpose would be that it brings people together.
Reply 54
Original post by xylas
That is different to "what is the purpose of having sex?".

There is not one reason why humans have sex. It is a similar question to "why am I on TSR right now replying to someone who will probably not even take in what I say?".

I do it because I want to and because I can. Humans are complicated but at the end of the day that's the simplest answer I can give you.

We are complicated in that we don't understand ourselves, which is the main reason I post threads on here, to try and gain insight into humans.

Oh, I'm taking it in. I really am.

The simplest answers can sometimes say the most, if that makes any sense at all.
Reply 55
Original post by Gott
How can the pain in loss in love be explained by only compassion?

Compassion is knowing how the other feels, for 1 there's a good likelihood that you won't run into too many problems and you would understand full well why a relationship has come to an end.

When you attach yourself to someone, there will invariably be the fear of losing them. causing you to worry, over think etc. probably causing the ending in the first place. Attachment is dependancy, that is just not cool after a certain age.
Reply 56
Original post by clh_hilary
You just said it's a pleasure. There you go.

Can pleasure be one of those good of the surface, but, actually bad emotions?
Reply 57
Original post by Gott
Is attachment voluntary?

I would say it is, particularly when you know the difference between love and attachment.
Reply 58
Lust and Egos.

Might use that as a future album title, I call dibs on it, fakers.
Reply 59
Original post by Gott
So you think you can define love?

Well, I can give it a good go. it makes sense that way, you can't just stop loving someone, because they irritate me, I just can't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending