The Student Room Group
Reply 1
yeh i did the practical this morning and thought it was alright, for the meter ruler one that was all quite straight forward, finding percentage errors on my meaurements to prove that 0.17% error means we can assume it is on uniform dimensions. i think the weight was something like 140g or something. the diode one, i chose curcuit L, and found the resistance to be 80.6ohms or soemthing like that. for the cooling one i got the specific heat capacity of water to be 4635 i think which is HIGHER than the calculated valus because we not all the heat supplied by the heater goes directly to the heating the water, some is lost as heat so we get a higher reading.

how did everyone feel they did?
Reply 2
yeah i talked about that in acadmeic area. ure wrong. when it asks for the weight it means in newtons not in g. otherwise it would have asked u for the mass. for the metre rule one all u had to do was measure 3 points across the ruler for width and thickness. no need for percentages.
Reply 3
i measured three points along the ruler for each the width and the thickness but i thought 4 marks for such simple measurements was quite a lot of marks so i put perentage error as well, i dont think they can take marks off for doing extra.

As for the weight, d'oh that was kind of stupid of me, so i should have multiplied by 9.81 huh? what did u get for the weight of ur ruler?
Reply 4
1.5 newtons but wasnt it obvious. it gave u the equation. W=whatever.
Reply 5
yeh, if mine was 140 something grams i guess my only mistake is stating it as the mass the calculations and what not should be alright. did u get circuit L and when other things i was saying?
Reply 6
i dont understand. u must have done another exam board. cause in our one they didnt have labels. u must have done ocr. i did edexcel.
Reply 7
it was edexcel, u know the second part of question A where it asked u to choose which was the correct arrangment , it was the one with two 100ohm resistors in series and that arrangment was in parallel with another 100ohm resistor in serise with the diode. no? at least on our paper it was L
Reply 8
oh our question a was about mombents. must be a different type.
Reply 9
I did this one today and thought it was ok. There was nothing on percentage errors which was strange.

I got 1.4N for the ruler, 80 ohms for the diode and the circuit was L.

The specific heat capacity one was a bit annoying cos changing my gradient slightly, made a massive change in the specific heat capacity. I made sure it was larger than 4200 so that it agreed with the next question.
i'm doing mine on friday! (edexcel) do you think there are similar topics on the first and second practical sessions?
what were the main topics?
Reply 11
JamesF
I did this one today and thought it was ok. There was nothing on percentage errors which was strange.

I got 1.4N for the ruler, 80 ohms for the diode and the circuit was L.

The specific heat capacity one was a bit annoying cos changing my gradient slightly, made a massive change in the specific heat capacity. I made sure it was larger than 4200 so that it agreed with the next question.

funnily all the questions are the same but i never saw anything bout choosing a letter. i just circled the circuit.
Reply 12
Supreme One.
funnily all the questions are the same but i never saw anything bout choosing a letter. i just circled the circuit.

Underneath each circuit were the letters J, K and L......L being the bottom (and correct) one.
Reply 13
I got 79.9 Ohm for the resistance, err 6000 JK^-1Kg^-1 for the shc and chose L.
Reply 14
Yeah I did the practical on the 17th. I had mixed feelings towards it, but found the stuff on moments and electricity esier than the thermal questions. For the circuits, I got K. I think it's right as most the people I know found it as K as well. What a coincidence, I put the mass in Kg instead of N...what a stupid mistake, I guess the pressure got me in the end.

A funny thing happened to me when doing the thermal experiment. When I completed the first two parts, the next part asked to find a way of not emptying out the water in the beaker and finding a way to find K. Unfortunately, before I read that, I already emptied the beaker. After that I panicked. Well luckily, I can always resit in JAnuary or June. Found the rest of the paper easy but keeping my fingers crossed.
Reply 15
what u talking bout you do put the mass as kg into the equation. the end resull comes up as newtons.
Reply 16
Ne1 do the aqa physics B practical 2day?! i did, it was ok!
Reply 17
Supreme One.
what u talking bout you do put the mass as kg into the equation. the end resull comes up as newtons.

sorry i meant weight :confused: :tongue:
is this as or a2 you're talking 'bout?
did any one do the copper sulphate solution and conduction in the secomnd part. i did ocr AS. let me know pls. in part 1 i got 0.5 for weight in newtons, 0.5 for y intercept and K=0.5 cos K= Y intercept. i got percentage error of 6.6%. did any one get anything different?

Latest

Trending

Trending