The Student Room Group

can't sleep

This is the second night in a row that I haven't been able to sleep...

Thursday night I can see why I didn't sleep because I had an assessment yesterday and was worried about it but I passed so surely I'm not still stressed about that? Ive also had a headache since 6pm yesterday, I took some paracetamol and it went away then came back, took some more paracetamol and again it went away but has come back and it's only the right side of my head that hurts :confused: I don't have any more paracetamol to take and don't know what to do! I just wanna get rid of this pain and go to sleep but I can't seem to be able to :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well first of all-don't take paracetamol! The small pain relief they give is not with the damage to you kidneys-and that's coming form a smoker!

I go through what you're going through alot. I find that when I'm stressed and miss sleep that my body clock has gone AWOL and can't work out what time it is. I then usually get a pressure behind my left eye which prevents me from sleep. I find the best solution is to just isolate myself from all distractions (i.e. lie in bed with no lights on, don't sit on your computer!) and then I feel the pressure magically bubble away and then I'm gone.

The good news is that even if I go 48 hours with sleep, I only need to sleep for one nights worth (about six hours) and I'm fine. Bad news is it gives me spots. Grrrr! :mad:
Reply 2
Ive been doing that all night though and it won't go away
Reply 3
Drink water. That can help with headaches.

Otherwise, I don't know what to suggest really
Reply 4
Don't drink too much water though... you would have to go to the toilet frequently, making the situation worse. I sometimes can't sleep either. Here are some things you can try:

1. Do sports during the day.

2. Listen to radio or read a book before you sleep.

3. Don't try to go to sleep.
Reply 5
\o/ I've had 20mg knockout pills tonight and still havnt managed to sleep!
Reply 6
samba
\o/ I've had 20mg knockout pills tonight and still havnt managed to sleep!

Hmm I see you've become part of the whole 'quick fix' society. Why not do some press-ups instead?
Reply 7
sleeping pill?
Valium, I hear they work wonders?
Reply 9
Cowz
Hmm I see you've become part of the whole 'quick fix' society. Why not do some press-ups instead?

:rofl: Jokes. You know nothing about me, yet can make a whole host of judgements from 12 words. The irony is I've just done my morning pressups.
Reply 10
matt@internet
Valium, I hear they work wonders?

Diazepam is a muscle relaxant/minor tranquiliser.
Reply 11
Cowz
Well first of all-don't take paracetamol! The small pain relief they give is not with the damage to you kidneys-and that's coming form a smoker!

You have got to be joking!!!!

Paracetamol is extremely safe - if it was that dangerous there would be millions in the UK with severe hepatic damage!!

And regarding the sleeping "pillules" (:p: ),

"I've had 20mg knockout pills tonight and still havnt managed to sleep!"

If its temazepam - then thats the recommended dose!! The max dose is 60mg (if you want to go to sleep at 1pm or something!!:rolleyes:
Reply 12
danesh

Paracetamol is extremely safe - if it was that dangerous there would be millions in the UK with severe hepatic damage!!

If paracetamol is 'extremly' safe, then why are there restrcitons on the number you can buy at any one time? Ok, in small dosages the damage may be negligable, but in a society where people take a pill at the slightest twinge of pain-do you not think it wise to remind people of the damage that paracetamol can cause to kidneys?
Reply 13
Drink some wine.
aleathiel
Ive been doing that all night though and it won't go away

i have same thing hate not being able to sleep feel so sleepy by the end of the week not funny being sleepy when you need to be a wake when your out.
Reply 15
If you've been working and worried all night then you might have a headache caused by straining. Try stopping what you are doing every so often to give your eyes a break. Drink lots of water, you don't have to stop working to do this, and maybe go outside for some fresh air. It's getting towards winter and the air's lovely and crisp!

Also, don't eat late at night, you'll have gremlins! lol No seriously, your body works too hard trying to get rid of the food you've eaten, so things will thump around your system quicker and stronger, annoying when you're trying to sleep. :s-smilie:
Reply 16
I still haven't managed to sleep and the headache is still there but it's more like a dull pain now, it did go away for a while but then came back..

I just thought of something that may be causing it though.. My mum gave me a few tablets of "sertraline" to take because I've been having anxiety problems. I only took one wednesday night and slept fine, took one thursday and didnt sleep, took one friday morning and also havent slept. I feel exhausted but at the same time like I still have energy.. from somewhere?

by the way according to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sertraline it causes insomnia :rolleyes:

Diazepam is a muscle relaxant/minor tranquiliser.

my mum is currently on those.. She gave me a couple in the summer and guess what, I had bad headaches after taking them!

by the way Im having the anxiety problem because of uni and family issues I wouldnt normally just take those kind of pills for any little thing, just to clear that up... I'm gonna sit on the balcony to get some fresh air then will try to sleep again.. thank goodness it's the weekend :rolleyes:

on second thought will having a shower help at all?
Reply 17
Having a bath or shower will relax your muscles :smile:
Reply 18
I had a shower, felt more awake afterwards :dontknow:

I still havent been able to sleep by the way :frown:
Reply 19
Cowz
If paracetamol is 'extremly' safe, then why are there restrcitons on the number you can buy at any one time? Ok, in small dosages the damage may be negligable, but in a society where people take a pill at the slightest twinge of pain-do you not think it wise to remind people of the damage that paracetamol can cause to kidneys?

You CANNOT get kidney damage from using paracetamol at regular intervals.

Liver damage occurs with consumption of around 6g at one time, only kidney damage can happen if there is prolonged use of paracetamol over very long time periods. (like taking 10g per day for a couple months).

As such, for the ordinary user there is "NO" liver or kidney risk, unless have hepatic or liver failure.

Latest

Trending

Trending