The Student Room Group

Script for a radio show

Hi
I have been working on my CAT folder to improve it and now it's on an A and to make it an A* I am suppose to do another CAT Which I never did before. I have to write a radio script and the story is about a black lady who was told she could not work because of her hairstyle. I can develop my argument on this but I I don't know how to write it and if using language devices will help me or not because my teacher is not helping me with this. If anyone can give me any information I will be very thankful to you as it means a lot to me.

Scroll to see replies

By radio show, do you mean an interview between the DJ and the interviewee or a radio news broadcast?
Reply 2
Original post by Mrpianoman
By radio show, do you mean an interview between the DJ and the interviewee or a radio news broadcast?

She said I should do it as a debate
Original post by rooshan
She said I should do it as a debate

Ok... You should probably set it out with one (or more people) arguing why what happened to her is ridiculous, because she has the right to do what she wants, even comment saying that they might be racist for not letting her. Then have someone else arguing that it is not ridiculous and that the business was not out of line, and that she should be willing to adapt to get the job.

Does that help?
Reply 4
Ok... You should probably set it out with one (or more people) arguing why what happened to her is ridiculous, because she has the right to do what she wants, even comment saying that they might be racist for not letting her. Then have someone else arguing that it is not ridiculous and that the business was not out of line, and that she should be willing to adapt to get the job.

Does that help?

Yes thanks but I know for writing a script for drama you include stage directions is there anything like that for a radio script
Original post by rooshan
Yes thanks but I know for writing a script for drama you include stage directions is there anything like that for a radio script

Not particularly. The main stage directions you would do would be to say if they were saying it a particular way, as in angrily, shouting it, etc, as if you were writing a transcript.
Reply 6
Not particularly. The main stage directions you would do would be to say if they were saying it a particular way, as in angrily, shouting it, etc, as if you were writing a transcript.

Ok Thanks and one last thing is that I was thinking if for my charcters I do the following
1. The Lady arguing for herself
2. A manager from a comapny arguing for the image and repoutation of company.
Do you think it is good or not?
Original post by rooshan
Ok Thanks and one last thing is that I was thinking if for my charcters I do the following
1. The Lady arguing for herself
2. A manager from a comapny arguing for the image and repoutation of company.
Do you think it is good or not?

Yeah! That's a great idea, that way you can have both sides giving their opinions on the matter and the radio presenter can be like the neutral party who gives a verdict at the end, so to speak.

Nice one!
Reply 8
Yeah! That's a great idea, that way you can have both sides giving their opinions on the matter and the radio presenter can be like the neutral party who gives a verdict at the end, so to speak.

Nice one!

Thank you very much! Btw how long it should be as I am aiming for Band 4 atleast if not Band 5
Original post by rooshan
Thank you very much! Btw how long it should be as I am aiming for Band 4 atleast if not Band 5

That depends, how many marks are available to get?
Reply 10
That depends, how many marks are available to get?

It is creative writing which is usually 30 marks
Original post by rooshan
It is creative writing which is usually 30 marks

Well, because you want to get both sides across, I would suggest 2-2 1/2 pages maximum. But it really depends on how much you have to get across and which side you feel more strongly for, as that is the one you will want more detail for.
Reply 12
Well, because you want to get both sides across, I would suggest 2-2 1/2 pages maximum. But it really depends on how much you have to get across and which side you feel more strongly for, as that is the one you will want more detail for.

Yeah Ok Thanks! I feel more confident now! :smile:
Original post by rooshan
Yeah Ok Thanks! I feel more confident now! :smile:

Good! I'm glad to hear it. Good Luck! :smile:
Reply 14
Good! I'm glad to hear it. Good Luck! :smile:

I just started writing a draft for my script and I just want to confirm if I should give the details of my characters int he beginning or not and even if I do, then how should I present it.
Original post by rooshan
I just started writing a draft for my script and I just want to confirm if I should give the details of my characters int he beginning or not and even if I do, then how should I present it.

I would say to introduce them as part of it yes. Something like

DJ: "Today we have with us Ms______, who was turned down a job for her hair style, and Mr______ who was the one to turn her down,"

If you do it like that, you give the grounding for the characters and can develop them more throughout.
Reply 16
I would say to introduce them as part of it yes. Something like

DJ: "Today we have with us Ms______, who was turned down a job for her hair style, and Mr______ who was the one to turn her down,"

If you do it like that, you give the grounding for the characters and can develop them more throughout.

Ok Thanks and do you think that including things like in-cues, bumpers and billboards will help boost my mark?
Original post by rooshan
Ok Thanks and do you think that including things like in-cues, bumpers and billboards will help boost my mark?

Yeah, that would be good. I'm afraid i'm not too sure what you mean but I have a general idea of what they are.
Reply 18
Yeah, that would be good. I'm afraid i'm not too sure what you mean but I have a general idea of what they are.

Oh I jsut did some research and found out that these are things like coming up we have this show or we'll be back towith his segment after some reminders from our sponsers etc.
Original post by rooshan
Oh I jsut did some research and found out that these are things like coming up we have this show or we'll be back towith his segment after some reminders from our sponsers etc.

Ah, I get you now. Yeah, they can be quite useful as they are a writing technique so it should definitely boost your marks a bit. But you want to use them sparingly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending