The Student Room Group

Current Nurse/Midwife and Student Nurse/Midwife - Ask Me Anything thread masterlist

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Starlight15
What are the timetables like for first year midwives?

All dependent on what kind of uni you are at. I know uni I’m going to for nursing give you 12 hours at uni and the rest independent study
Original post by futurechildnurse
All dependent on what kind of uni you are at. I know uni I’m going to for nursing give you 12 hours at uni and the rest independent study

What about uniform I'm scared that hey will give me one that might not fit me or are to small for me (I really love the tunics in nursing and midwifery they look so beautiful! :colondollar:)
What about uniform I'm scared that hey will give me one that might not fit me or are to small for me (I really love the tunics in nursing and midwifery they look so beautiful! :colondollar:)

You have uniform fitting very early on in your course and you will get at least 2 tunics.
Original post by futurechildnurse
You have uniform fitting very early on in your course and you will get at least 2 tunics.

Thank you and one last question since I'm starting Midwifery in April 2019 at the University of West London what do you think I can do between now and then?
Thank you and one last question since I'm starting Midwifery in April 2019 at the University of West London what do you think I can do between now and then?

Get some work experience or work as a healthcare assistant in a local hospital.
Hi all,I'm Hazel and new to this chat! I was just wondering if any student nurses or midwives could tell me what it's like and how they've found everything so far? I'm considering studying adult nursing in September but torn between that and midwifery...I have done a year of midwifery and finding it really tough so considering swapping. Thank you xx
Original post by Hazel_Kumar
Hi all,I'm Hazel and new to this chat! I was just wondering if any student nurses or midwives could tell me what it's like and how they've found everything so far? I'm considering studying adult nursing in September but torn between that and midwifery...I have done a year of midwifery and finding it really tough so considering swapping. Thank you xx

I haven’t officially started uni yet,but from my understanding,I will be doing 3x4 hour days at uni and then independent study & will have to go in for additional days when I have to do my practical elements of the course.

Maybe write a list of what you enjoy and don’t enjoy about your midwifery degree? Then you will see if it’s academic help,you can ask your uni for extra guidance on this. Good luck x
Original post by just ok
I am mature student and single mum of three young kids, start my Adult Nursing in March 2017...I am very worried about childcare, this makes me feel very down and I am on the edge to refuse my Course :frown: how does everyone do with childcare?..

Hi, I know it's a year on, I'm just about too start,I'm in a similar position to you , just wondering how you managed childcare
I’m bad at assignments what can I do? :smile:
What are the regulations for tattoos? I’m thinking of getting on on my forearm but I don’t want to ruin any chances of studying child nursing and pursuing a career in neonatal nursing.
Original post by Shancm123
What are the regulations for tattoos? I’m thinking of getting on on my forearm but I don’t want to ruin any chances of studying child nursing and pursuing a career in neonatal nursing.

Didn’t you post a thread about this? I’m sure I answered it earlier.
When did everyone find out where their first placement is? I’m a first year adult nurse, hoping to find out soon so I can arrange my childcare etc.
Hello,
Starting my midwifery degree in sep 2019. Was wondering if its possible to have a part time job while studying? How many days a week do i get off?
Thank you xx
Iman elafiaHi thereYes its possible to work part time while studying to be a midwife, its all depends on what's sort of shifts rota you are allocated, you'll be working upto 12.5 hours shifts over three days a week, this could include days ( from about 7.15am til approx 7.45pm. Or perhaps nightshifts starts at approx 7.15/7.45pm til approx 7.15am / 7.45am ) with various patterns, if you are on community nurse placement then its usually 8hrs dayshift over five days.I have been doing part-time weekends work during my studying and I been recently doing more weekends and nightshifts and its sort of now hitting my part-time weekends job but able to fit in this on days of nursing, you'll only have to do approx 60 hours of nightshifts over the three years course, And to be honest to you - every health boards throughout UK has different policy's on the working shifts patterns that we students midwives can do, so look into this more before deciding on starting a part time job okGood luck with your studies as midwife xx
Hi,

I am thinking of starting an Access to Nursing course at my college this September... I have 3 GCSEs (all A-C grades) in Maths, English and Science also. I am wondering, will this be enough to study a Mental Health Nursing course eventually?
caffycaffy44

Hi there,

You normally need 5 GCSEs at grade C and above ( typically English language or literature and a science subject ), plus at least two / ideally three A-levels or equivalent level 3 qualifications.

This also depending on what part of the UK you are applying for because each separate country of the UK has different qualification entry requirements,

You best checking out local qualification requirement as they will advice you much better.

Hope this of help to you, best luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending