The Student Room Group

13 civilians - including women and children- slaughtered in Saudi -Arabia strikes

[h="2"]At least 13 civilians killed in Saudi war on Yemen[/h]
http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2015/03/26/403414/13-civilians-killed-in-Saudi-war-on-Yemen

The ongoing Saudi air strikes on Yemen have so far claimed the lives of 13 civilians with more deaths feared, Yemeni sources say."Thirteen civilians, including women and children, were killed in the Saudi raids overnight," a civil defense source said on Thursday.According to witnesses, residents are helping civil defense authorities in the search for any more victims under the rubble of houses damaged in the air raids.Following the attacks, forces loyal to fugitive Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi seized control of the international airport in the southern port city of Aden.Troops of the 39th Armored Brigade, who are allied to the Houthi Ansarullah movement, had earlier seized the facility.The Al Arabiya News Channel reported on Thursday that Saudi Arabia has deployed "100 fighter jets, 150,000 soldiers and other navy units" for the military campaign in Yemen.According to Yemeni sources, parachutists of Saudi-led forces have already landed in Aden.Yemeni TV has announced that former president Hadi has fled to Oman.

Saudi Arabia strikes YemenSaudi Arabia announced in the early hours of Thursday that it had begun launching airstrikes in Yemen where the Ansarullah fighters have been making advances."The operation is to defend the legitimate government," Adel al-Jubeir, the Saudi envoy to the US, told reporters in a rare news conference at the Saudi embassy in Washington on Wednesday, referring to the administration of fugitive President Hadi, whose whereabouts are unknown after reportedly fleeing the country earlier in the day.“We consulted very closely with many of our allies and in particular with the United States. We are very pleased with the outcome of those discussions,” he said. “We have a situation where you have a militia group that is now in control or can be in control of ballistic missiles, heavy weapons and an air force.”

The Saudi envoy cited "outside countries" that are involved in the campaign, saying, "We have a coalition of over 10 countries that will participate in these operations to prevent Yemen from falling at the hands of the Houthis."Jubeir said the countries "would do whatever it takes" in the new war launched in the region.Meanwhile, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, the UAE along with Saudi Arabia released a joint statement that they "have decided to answer the call of President Hadi” against the movement’s ”aggression”.The statement, published by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA), included all member states of the [Persian] Gulf Cooperation Council ([P]GCC) except Oman.

"We have air assets from a number of countries in the [Saudi] kingdom and we have military assets that are on their way to the kingdom to participate in these operations," the Saudi envoy said.Saudi Arabia said Thursday that five more countries want to join the [P]GCC coalition launching attacks in Yemen.According to the Saudi state-run news agency, Egypt, Pakistan, Jordan, Morocco and Sudan have "expressed desire to participate in the operation" against the Houthis, which the kingdom has dubbed "Firmness Storm."Islamabad has said that it is examining the request from Saudi Arabia to join the military alliance on Yemen.Pakistani Foreign office spokeswoman Tasnim Aslam said on Thursday that Saudi Arabia had asked Pakistan to join the coalition."I can confirm we have been contacted by Saudi Arabia in this regard. The matter is being examined. That's all I have to say at the moment," she said at a regular press briefing.Islamabad is a longstanding ally of Saudi Arabia.Egypt and Jordan have confirmed they will join Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia in the coalition.Cairo has also announced its readiness to provide ground troops if necessary."Coordination is under way with Saudi Arabia and the [Persian] Gulf states to prepare for participation by the Egyptian air force and Egyptian navy, and a ground force if the situation warrants, as part of the coalition action," the Egyptian foreign ministry said in a statement.Saudi attack raises oil pricesCrude oil prices have increased on the global markets in the aftermath of the Saudi-led onslaught against Yemen.US benchmark West Texas Intermediate (WTI) for May delivery jumped $2.28 to $51.49 while Brent crude for May surged $2.46 to $58.94 in late Thursday morning trade.The recent crude price surge comes amid fears that violence in Yemen could spill over and threaten key crude producers in the Middle East, including neighboring Saudi Arabia.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
[video="youtube;oMjXbuj7BPI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMjXbuj7BPI[/video]
Reply 2
Tl;dr
but I looked at the pics.
It is very sad indeed. I really do feel for the poor families affected by this.
Damn. It's sad that there is collateral damage in war.

I suppose the Houthi terrorists should not have overthrown the democratically elected Yemeni government.
Original post by PopaPork
don't care.

To mods, can we reintroduce the negative rep for this one post, before you take it away again???

Please :elmo::penguin::run::reindeer::reel::snoozing::teddy::turtle:

(Are any of these cute? Are they effective? Akin to puppy eyes)
Ok.

Why did you write "woman and children"? Ok I get the children bit but women being highlighted in the title shouldn't matter. Their lives aren't more precious than men
Original post by bittr n swt
Ok.

Why did you write "woman and children"? Ok I get the children bit but women being highlighted in the title shouldn't matter. Their lives aren't more precious than men

aww, can't rate more today. I'll rate tomorrow.
Original post by XcitingStuart
That's not the main point; even if you don't care, you should be more reserved about it.
To say that so openly is sociopathic and insensitive.
I can't say I feel much, but I think it is wrong. The idea of it is bad.

Why should i be 'reserved' about it

I am allowed an opinion am I not?

but well done for the personal attack
(edited 8 years ago)
Why should i be 'reserved' about it

I am allowed an opinion am I not?

but well done for the personal attack

You are; I just disagree with it. "I am allowed an opinion am I not?"

EDIT: My comment was offensive because yes, I replied irrationally, but because (I think) you were blunt & rude.

That's probably why it came across extremely offensive and as a personal attack.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by young_guns

I suppose the Houthi terrorists should not have overthrown the democratically elected Yemeni government.

Houthi's are simply protecting their own. The Yemen government is known to have supported Al-Qaeda and ISIS in these proxy wars which in turn are known to murder non-Sunnis. This is simply a retaliation to the proxy wars and they are to blame.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bittr n swt
Ok.

Rated. I have always wondered why even headlines in general will always say women and children or just women even if men had died as well.
Original post by XcitingStuart

That's probably why it came across extremely offensive and as a personal attack.

yes you allowed an opinion and I'm still to see your opinion on the OP

all you have done is plead to the mods because you don't like what I have said

and yes it did
don't care.

It's funny how the moment Muslims start something in Britain against innocent civilians you're all against Islam but the moment this thread happens you're like 'don't care'.
Original post by Kyou
It's funny how the moment Muslims start something in Britain against innocent civilians you're all against Islam but the moment this thread happens you're like 'don't care'.

That's right I care what happens in my country

Is this wrong of me?
Reply 15
Original post by young_guns

If you're willing to believe the lies fed my mainstream media, you would consider them terrorists. Ofcourse, that is not what is actually the case and what is actually going on in Yemen.
Original post by Tawheed
If you're willing to believe the lies fed my mainstream media, you would consider them terrorists.

Would you deny that they have the words "Death to America, Death to Israel, Curse on the Jews" on their flag?

They overthrew the elected President of Yemen, they are terrorists and must be destroyed.
Original post by HassanD
Houthi's are simply protecting their own. The Yemen government is known to have supported Al-Qaeda

That is utter nonsense. The Yemeni government has been a strong ally in the War on Terror, they have been more than co-operative with our drone programme. Much more co-operative than the Pakistanis, as it happens.

You clearly think any Sunni must be an ISIS sympathiser.

The Houthis are terrorists; they overthrew the democratically-elected government, they are supported by the terrorist regime in Tehran, and even their flag has the words "Death to American, Death to Israel, Curse on the Jews".

The Houthis have declared war on us. Let them die.
That's right I care what happens in my country

Is this wrong of me?

But you probably would care if suicide bombers or air strikes killed civilians in Israel, France, India or the USA :rolleyes:
Original post by Tawheed
Any more comments?

Your use of the word "slaughtered" is deliberately dishonest and sensationalist, implying they were killed deliberately and criminally instead of the reality that they were unfortunate unwanted deaths in a war situation, and unjustified by the supporting information you posted.

Latest