The Student Room Group

When do you live?!

I graduated from university a couple of years ago and been working working full time ever since. To be honest, i am not liking it at all! I work for a start up company, which means i am majorly underpaid, and future is very uncertain.

It has really hit me lately how people spend 20+ odd years working 9-5 + an hour here and there in traffic, it that how life is suppose to be like?!:confused:

I worked for 2 years and i feel like im so uninspired and dont have time for anything, except for 2 days a week where i can catch up on sleep and do things i really enjoy.

It might sound really stupid, but is that normal? Is that how everyone does it?

Sorry guys for the rant
Original post by J-SP
Find a job/career path you enjoy, or can at least tolerate, and you will feel different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for a quick reply. I think it is a huge part of the problem and I am in the process of fixing it- i am actually thinking of just taking a few months off to just sort my thoughts out.
Reply 2
It's important to use your available holidays across the year. There would be times where I work the whole year and only take time off in December, by then I've already burned out. As with anything, it's best to go at a steady pace.

Personally, I wouldn't call myself a lazy person, I do enjoy my career but I'd like more out of life and refuse to become a slave to the 9-6 for the next 20+ years.
I've love more time during the week to do things that I enjoy that don't necessarily pay the bills such as learning to play an instrument, coding a videogame, practicing art, etc.
However, to do that, I needed to become financially independent; i.e, being able to pay for my lifestyle without having to work. I started my investment portfolio not long after I graduated and with some luck, I've been quite successful. Despite living financially without worry, I do get bored after a while whenever I'm not working. Days feel longer and more lonely.
Why lonely? Because my friends are all out working and studying like the rest of society. Consequently, I continue to work like everyone else. Admittedly, 9-6/5 days a week is still a bit much for me, I'm working hard in my career to become expert enough to act as a consultant engineer picking up contract jobs where I can finally work according to my desired work / life balance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by She_Bittersweet
I graduated from university a couple of years ago and been working working full time ever since. To be honest, i am not liking it at all! I work for a start up company, which means i am majorly underpaid, and future is very uncertain.

It has really hit me lately how people spend 20+ odd years working 9-5 + an hour here and there in traffic, it that how life is suppose to be like?!:confused:

I worked for 2 years and i feel like im so uninspired and dont have time for anything, except for 2 days a week where i can catch up on sleep and do things i really enjoy.

Sorry guys for the rant

The sad truth is yes, that is how life is for pretty much the vast majority of people.

As others have said though, if you find a career you enjoy and genuinely 9/10 days wake up excited to go to work, then you'll both enjoy it more and most likely have better prospects. Just remember that those things you do on your weekends with your spare time should probably be what you do with the rest of your life!

Good luck :h:
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
The sad truth is yes, that is how life is for pretty much the vast majority of people.

As others have said though, if you find a career you enjoy and genuinely 9/10 days wake up excited to go to work, then you'll both enjoy it more and most likely have better prospects. Just remember that those things you do on your weekends with your spare time should probably be what you do with the rest of your life!

Good luck :h:

Thanks for such an uplifting response! 9-5 lifestyle cannot be suited to everyone, i really miss my freedom and generally spontaneity in life.
Thanks for such an uplifting response! 9-5 lifestyle cannot be suited to everyone, i really miss my freedom and generally spontaneity in life.

Holiday rep? Pilot? Or even if single and financially comfortable try working/living abroad for a bit?

To be honest, I think you probably need a holiday (its that time of year after all) just to get your head back in the game. A career move to something you find interesting could also be amazing. I went for something that people are a bit bemused by at times but I earn awesome money and am usually better at it than others because it's my interest.
Original post by NX172
It's important to use your available holidays across the year. There would be times where I work the whole year and only take time off in December, by then I've already burned out. As with anything, it's best to go at a steady pace.

Personally, I wouldn't call myself a lazy person, I do enjoy my career but I'd like more out of life and refuse to become a slave to the 9-6 for the next 20+ years.
I've love more time during the week to do things that I enjoy that don't necessarily pay the bills such as learning to play an instrument, coding a videogame, practicing art, etc.
However, to do that, I needed to become financially independent; i.e, being able to pay for my lifestyle without having to work. I started my investment portfolio not long after I graduated and with some luck, I've been quite successful. Despite living financially without worry, I do get bored after a while whenever I'm not working. Days feel longer and more lonely.
Why lonely? Because my friends are all out working and studying like the rest of society. Consequently, I continue to work like everyone else. Admittedly, 9-6/5 days a week is still a bit much for me, I'm working hard in my career to become expert enough to act as a consultant engineer picking up contract jobs where I can finally work according to my desired work / life balance.

That is really interesting! I guess it all boils down to if you know what you want to be doing. I just feel fed up really, and need to figure out what i really want to do.
It is pretty normal, yes.

Something I think that is really useful is flex-time. For example, my previous employer used to offer a compressed working week where you finished at around lunchtime on Fridays, which essentially gave you the afternoon off every week to do what you wanted. That was nice. My current employer allows the use of flexdays, where you can work extra hours to then take them off later, which is handy if you want a day off to do something or just relax without using up your holiday allowance. I know some other companies work a nine day fortnight, giving you a long weekend every second weekend. It certainly does help in taking away the monotony of a 9-5.

Sorry guys for the rant

That's Life Son.

Or that's how many people "Live".

I'm in the same boat, I've recently started a new job and I'm instantly depressed by the monotony of it. Monday to Friday blurs into one mass of unrelenting boredom.

I'm currently seeking/dreaming of a way out.
Original post by TheInformer
That's Life Son.

Or that's how many people "Live".

I'm in the same boat, I've recently started a new job and I'm instantly depressed by the monotony of it. Monday to Friday blurs into one mass of unrelenting boredom.

I'm currently seeking/dreaming of a way out.

The best way to know if you are doing the right things in life is to imagine to have only a year to live, i can guarantee that 90% of the people would quit their jobs the same day and would start 'living'.
I'm about to face the opposite problem. Leaving the 9-5 life for the life of a student.

I started working when I finished my BTEC. I've worked full time since 2006 (aside from 2-3 months of 8:30-3pm) and the thought of leaving that is more scary than when I first started working.

To be honest you start to get used to it. One thing to aim for is a job you enjoy with decent colleagues and an ok boss. Sometimes it's hard to get the whole deal but you just have to roll with it until you can find something else

The most dangerous thing (not as in falling off a cliff dangerous) is to get too comfortable. When push comes to shove, if you have to suddenly leave your job you will flounder.
You don't you just contribute to the economy. Lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending