The Student Room Group

Are mixed girls really that bad?

I was looking at the ultimate race attraction thread and in the first few pages there are many comments about how mixed race girls are stuck up and thus unattractive: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2576011 Whilst I appreciate everyone has their own preferences and tastes I do think that was perhaps trying to tar one group with the same brush, perhaps due to a few negative experiences?

I'm a mixed race girl (1/4 black, 3/4 white to be specific) from a small town and I can't say anyone ever really made me feel special about it nor was it a big deal. I never really even thought about it. But since moving to London quite a few people have called me stuck up for no reason other than the colour of my skin. I'm very shy and if I'm honest I'm so insecure that I developed eating disorders. I have never even had a boyfriend (I'm nearly 23 years old) and have only kissed 1 guy so nobody is worshipping me! I sometimes get told I have a pretty face and nice slim body but that's as far as it goes really no one has ever wanted to date me (to my knowledge!). My white and black girlfriends on the other hand have had lots of boyfriends and started dating in their early teens.

I don't of think myself better than any other race that would make me a hypocrite for example I love my white mother and my black grandfather they are my biggest role models and many other family members I love dearly too I would never think myself above them I came from them after all...

To be honest I grew up not giving race much thought. I'm surprised by the amount of threads here on TSR relationships that are to do with race. Is race really that big a factor in dating? And if so does that mean I'm doomed? So sorry my original question is why do some people automatically think mixed girls are stuck up?
I've heard that mixed race people are the most attractive according to science :tongue: TSR is full of racists, try not to let them get to you. :frown:
Race doesn't matter.

Let's stop talking about it.
Most people find it relatively attractive. I'm mixed culturally, not even racially, and people still like it. I think you've just run into the wrong people, hun. That's not a fair representation of what people are. People who judge you on something you cannot control, like your race, aren't worth caring about anyway.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Race doesn't matter.

Well, in society it matters imo, you can't rly talk about racism without talking about race and racism matters I'm sure you'd agree
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by TorpidPhil
Race doesn't matter.

The fact we're talking about race means race does matter. The fact humans went to the extent of dividing up humanity into racial classifications also says that race matters.

History, from the annals of slavery to the close link of nationalism to race, tells us race matters.

Racism will never go away.

It's a really interesting subject actually. It's fun watching people do semantics gymnastics trying to be sensitive on the subject: "I'm not a racist, it's just a personal preference!".

"Discrimination is not the same as a preference...".

LOL

Race would be up there with social class and gender as defining hallmarks of our identities. I don't see any reason to stop talking about it.
There was another thread today asking whether having a racial preference was a racist thing. My reply to that thread was that so long as it wasnt an absolutely exclusive preference then of course its ok as some like chocolate some like vanilla...well my flavour is caramel :smile: nothing sexier than a mixed girl for me
Original post by Anonymous
I was looking at the ultimate race attraction thread and in the first few pages there are many comments about how mixed race girls are stuck up and thus unattractive: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2576011 Whilst I appreciate everyone has their own preferences and tastes I do think that was perhaps trying to tar one group with the same brush, perhaps due to a few negative experiences?

I'm a mixed race girl (1/4 black, 3/4 white to be specific) from a small town and I can't say anyone ever really made me feel special about it nor was it a big deal. I never really even thought about it. But since moving to London quite a few people have called me stuck up for no reason other than the colour of my skin. I'm very shy and if I'm honest I'm so insecure that I developed eating disorders. I have never even had a boyfriend (I'm nearly 23 years old) and have only kissed 1 guy so nobody is worshipping me! I sometimes get told I have a pretty face and nice slim body but that's as far as it goes really no one has ever wanted to date me (to my knowledge!). My white and black girlfriends on the other hand have had lots of boyfriends and started dating in their early teens.

I don't of think myself better than any other race that would make me a hypocrite for example I love my white mother and my black grandfather they are my biggest role models and many other family members I love dearly too I would never think myself above them I came from them after all...

To be honest I grew up not giving race much thought. I'm surprised by the amount of threads here on TSR relationships that are to do with race. Is race really that big a factor in dating? And if so does that mean I'm doomed? So sorry my original question is why do some people automatically think mixed girls are stuck up?

I love mixed raced girls :colonhash:. Just saying :teeth:

But seriously though, be proud of where you're from. If people call you stuck up forget them. Keep on being you. You sound like a nice girl but just a little troubled.
I'm mixed and wouldn't say I have had a problem attracting guys. Also, how mixed do you look out of interest? As a quarter black I am assuming you may be quite light skinned and to the untrained eye could pass for white?

Generally though, I don't think guys have a problem with dating mixed race girls. I would take a guess that it's your shyness etc that have held you back from getting a boyfriend and not a lack of attractiveness :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
noone has wanted to date you because you don't sound very confident/social? so work on developing your personality - it's got nothing to do with race.

i'm mixed race and have never had a problem dating or been called stuck up. i would literally take it as a compliment if a girl called me stuck up purely for my skin colour - it's most likely jealousy. and why on earth would you want to go out with any guy who thinks like that - obviously a weirdo and you can do better. what a laughable attitude for any well adjusted adult.
Original post by bullsizzle
There was another thread today asking whether having a racial preference was a racist thing. My reply to that thread was that so long as it wasnt an absolutely exclusive preference then of course its ok as some like chocolate some like vanilla...well my flavour is caramel :smile: nothing sexier than a mixed girl for me

Any time you take the effort to specifically mention 'race' in terms of your preferences in dating: that's racism, by definition.

Your exclusivity argument (re: 'so long as it wasnt an absolutely exclusive preference [then it's not racism] ' ) doesn't hold water either. The Nazis hated many races and ranked racial superiority based on a complex hierarchy, as many here do. The sentence doesn't break because you've replaced the world "superiority" with "preference".

Nor is hate an essential ingredient of racism. Even many of the Storm Front crowd hold no violent political or physical intentions towards PoC: they simply have a "preference" for white people when it comes to breeding.

All you need to do is think of one race (or mix of races) as better than another race (or mix of races), in whatever context, be it for dating or in terms of beauty etc, and you're officially a racist.

Don't like being a racist? Well it only gets worse: you're also sexist and a classist, among other things - that's human nature for you. We're all clones filled with social constructs we had no say in designing.

I am exactly the same heritage as you and always get called stush and I don't know why ! Think it is a stereotype so obviously doesn't apply to everyone .
Original post by Sophie_girl
noone has wanted to date you because you don't sound very confident/social? so work on developing your personality - it's got nothing to do with race.

i'm mixed race and have never had a problem dating or been called stuck up. i would literally take it as a compliment if a girl called me stuck up purely for my skin colour - it's most likely jealousy. and why on earth would you want to go out with any guy who thinks like that - obviously a weirdo and you can do better. what a laughable attitude for any well adjusted adult.

Well her dating failures would have something to with her skin, but I suspect only marginally (given she is only 1/4 black). If she was 100% white she would have got more attention from men. How much more I can't say.

Her confidence and personality would also have been affected by how society perceives her race. If she was 100% white she (probably) would have been more confident.

I can somewhat relate to OP in this sense, with a small section of my DNA being from a non-white background (my mother is 1/4 Samoan, the rest of my family is English/Scottish).

I always get asked about my background. If you placed me next to a group of English kids my skin would be as white as theirs, but I have darker features, say like a Johnny Depp. People think I'm Greek allot.

Of course there were some moments where I wished my genealogy was homogeneous. I did think about the same things OP does, but as time moved on I found it did not really effect my daily life, or dating life for that matter. Perhaps it was because I could pass for 100% European. Impossible to say.
Original post by Mike9910
Well her dating failures would have something to with her skin, but I suspect only marginally (given she is only 1/4 black). If she was 100% white she would have got more attention from men. How much more I can't say.

Her confidence and personality would also have been affected by how society perceives her race. If she was 100% white she (probably) would have been more confident.

I can somewhat relate to OP in this sense, with a small section of my DNA being from a non-white background (my mother is 1/4 Samoan, the rest of my family is English/Scottish).

I always get asked about my background. If you placed me next to a group of English kids my skin would be as white as theirs, but I have darker features, say like a Johnny Depp. People think I'm Greek allot.

Of course there were some moments where I wished my genealogy was homogeneous. I did think about the same things OP does, but as time moved on I found it did not really effect my daily life, or dating life for that matter. Perhaps it was because I could pass for 100% European. Impossible to say.

your opinion is 100% irrelevant. ignore this self hate twaddle, OP. embarassing to read.
Original post by Sophie_girl
your opinion is 100% irrelevant. ignore this self hate twaddle, OP. embarassing to read.

Awesome argument.

My opinion is 100% non-consequential for sure, given I am only one person. What I think hardly matters. However the same could be said for everybody here, including you.

My opinion is not irrelevant though. Of course my opinion would have some relevance: I live on the same planet as OP does as a starting point. I live under the same cultural paradigms. I'm even mixed-race. How could my opinion possibly have no relatability to OP?

You don't have an inherit credibility as an anonymous poster on the internet you know. You're judged solely on your arguments, or lack of them. Expressing anger and resorting to the invective does not make your case any stronger.
Mixed raced girls are pretty cute imo
I've noticed that the only people who say that mixed girls are stuck up are either black guys who've been burned or rejected by mixed girls, or mid-dark black girls (who I've heard say first-hand that they're sick of black guys only being interested in mixed or light-skinned girls).

At the end of the day, I'm quite sick of the question of blackness and the darkness divide - black is as much of a culture/feeling as skin tone is.

I find mixed race girls the most attractive tbh.
Im not going to lie, I live in Birmingham and the mixed race girls I see do live up to the mix race stereotype that they are better than everyone else. But black girls live up to the stereotype of being ratchet (not all). However not everyone is like that obviously. My best friend is mixed and she doesn't act like she's too nice and doesn't have trouble attracting guys so don't worry about it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending