The Student Room Group

All those in Year 11!!! What subjects will you be taking for A level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C0balt
I do that and I enjoyed my year thoroughly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you actually enjoy it Cobalt!? :biggrin:
I'm not sure, I'm a bit nervous, even though maths is one of my favourite subjects.
What's the key to success in it? Any tips?
Reply 81
Original post by evaristegalois
Did you actually enjoy it Cobalt!? :biggrin:
I'm not sure, I'm a bit nervous, even though maths is one of my favourite subjects.
What's the key to success in it? Any tips?

Yup I did :awesome:
(Atm I'm not because who likes revision :lol:)

Key to success is hard work :holmes:
And actually take an interest in the subject and explore it further. Because if you stay in the scope of A levels things can seem pointless to you time to time. But there is a wonderful world beyond A levels into those subjects and if you see a piece of it it can be very motivating. I love seeing the connection between the stuff you learn in syllabus and anything I found interesting or cool during my video watching or reading

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Yup I did :awesome:
(Atm I'm not because who likes revision :lol:)

Key to success is hard work :holmes:
And actually take an interest in the subject and explore it further. Because if you stay in the scope of A levels things can seem pointless to you time to time. But there is a wonderful world beyond A levels into those subjects and if you see a piece of it it can be very motivating. I love seeing the connection between the stuff you learn in syllabus and anything I found interesting or cool during my video watching or reading

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm glad I've found someone I can relate too:smile:. Maths is a beautiful subject, and what intrigues me the most is how it can be applied to our everyday life. Even shows (hehe NUMB3RS:biggrin:, that had the best intro), and you're right, I watch Numberphiles, so that I can see beyond GCSE level, because GCSE bores me too bits. I loved learning GCSE when it was fresh stuff to learn, but now that I've learnt everything I find it boring (of course, I've learnt everything, but I could still use 10% more improving on somestuff, like functional questions). :colondollar:

I don't find revision that bad, but like I said when I run out of fresh stuff to learn, it gets boring for me :biggrin::colone: hehe
I'm determined to hone my craft:cool:
Reply 83
I'm glad I've found someone I can relate too:smile:. Maths is a beautiful subject, and what intrigues me the most is how it can be applied to our everyday life. Even shows (hehe NUMB3RS:biggrin:, that had the best intro), and you're right, I watch Numberphiles, so that I can see beyond GCSE level, because GCSE bores me too bits. I loved learning GCSE when it was fresh stuff to learn, but now that I've learnt everything I find it boring (of course, I've learnt everything, but I could still use 10% more improving on somestuff, like functional questions). :colondollar:

I don't find revision that bad, but like I said when I run out of fresh stuff to learn, it gets boring for me :biggrin::colone: hehe

:five:
That is the right mentality mate!

You have the passion, and when you do you will work hard unconsciously which is my case, so you are well on track :top:
Just make sure to pay attention in classes and sort out any problem as it pops up, then you'll be fine :colondollar:

But yes I have to work on my exam technique which is new thing to learn but not new...You know...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel exactly the same way as you! When we were learning new stuff in class I love the lessons but those lessons where you feel like you've done this to death and want to learn something else tend to get so boring... And I can do revision but I prefer to look into stuff I don't already know - I watch numberphile too! Don't even remember why I started watching it but it's so interesting I've seen almost every video and I love them! (Well most of them - can't say the card shuffling ones were my favourites :wink:)

Like you I generally score quite well but still need a bit of practice to STOP MAKING STUPID MISTAKES!
Original post by C0balt
I do that and I enjoyed my year thoroughly

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which do you find harder, physics or chemistry?
Reply 86
Original post by #sarahsmith2
Which do you find harder, physics or chemistry?

Physics
But public opinion on this matter will probably be chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Physics
But public opinion on this matter will probably be chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know what to take! Not sure whether to go down the medicine route or follow my love of maths and aim to do that at uni instead! Right now I've chosen maths, further maths, biology, chemistry and spanish... But I also want to do physics too especially especially because a lot of a level maths is physics and vice versa (or so I've been told)
Reply 88
I don't know what to take! Not sure whether to go down the medicine route or follow my love of maths and aim to do that at uni instead! Right now I've chosen maths, further maths, biology, chemistry and spanish... But I also want to do physics too especially especially because a lot of a level maths is physics and vice versa (or so I've been told)

Why not take double maths and triple science. Yes, Spanish is useful and looks good on CV, but there are other qualifications you can do for Spanish and you can do that after you leave school, whereas with science you kind of need school facility to learn and it's hard to demonstrate your science skill without A level/degree.

And indeed maths and physics compliment each other well. In AS 1/3 of maths is same as 1/4 of physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am taking:
Maths, Chemistry, Biology & Spanish. I'm currently debating whether or not to take further maths as a 5th. My teacher said id walk through it but I feel that to get into a top course at uni. They would rather see a more well rounded profile, sport, music, volunteering etc. any advice??

Btw, I'm hoping to study medicine at uni
Reply 90
Original post by Conor1998
I am taking:
Maths, Chemistry, Biology & Spanish. I'm currently debating whether or not to take further maths as a 5th. My teacher said id walk through it but I feel that to get into a top course at uni. They would rather see a more well rounded profile, sport, music, volunteering etc. any advice??

Take it then drop it if you feel its time consuming maybe?
Unlike other courses medicine likes to see loads of volunteering/work experience. If you were going for normal science course I'd have said to take FM but medicine is a different story.
You should go onto A level forum to get a better advice from actual medicine students/people who have gone through the admission process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am taking:

Those are the subjects I've put down too! My teacher is angry that I'm not doing further maths a level as part of the 4 main subjects but I love spanish too and medicine don't recognise further maths on the same level as they do spanish (or so I've had the impression from looking online/talking to people). If you have enough extra curricular things and volunteering to show there's no reason you shouldn't do it - maybe do it to AS level then drop it if it's too stressful - that's my plan
I'm taking maths, Spanish, busniess studies and history
Reply 93
I'm confused about what to pick but, I'm going with psychology and math for sure!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
Good choice :wink: I want to do an economics course but if I don't like economics that much next year possibly geography or something, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I'm going to do too!!! Which uni are you aiming for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cerealisyummy
That's what I'm going to do too!!! Which uni are you aiming for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Warwick/Nottingham/Durham, I probably won't apply for LSE because I think it would be a wasted choice, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Those are the subjects I've put down too! My teacher is angry that I'm not doing further maths a level as part of the 4 main subjects but I love spanish too and medicine don't recognise further maths on the same level as they do spanish (or so I've had the impression from looking online/talking to people). If you have enough extra curricular things and volunteering to show there's no reason you shouldn't do it - maybe do it to AS level then drop it if it's too stressful - that's my plan

I don't know whether further maths would take up most of my time and inhibit the marks of my other subjects/volunteering etc. that's the main problem. Are you leaning towards doing the further maths or not would you say?
I don't know whether further maths would take up most of my time and inhibit the marks of my other subjects/volunteering etc. that's the main problem. Are you leaning towards doing the further maths or not would you say?

What sort of grades are you on/ predicted at the moment? As I love maths and and a career involving maths is probably my second choice If I don't end up doing medicine, I'm definitely going to try and do it at least at AS level - it wouldn't be timetabled in my school so me and a few others who are doing it as an extra would have a few lunch time lessons but otherwise would have to teach ourselves the easier parts of the course. I wouldn't actually mind doing this... and if it's getting too stressful I can always drop out (hope to do at least do the AS though!!!)

As for whether you should do it or not... On one hand I definitely agree that focussing on other subjects/volunteering is extremely important for medicine and the further maths qualification is not greatly desired by universities - they would prefer more volunteering/work experience... If maths doesn't intrest you very much then there isn't too much point of you doing it... However on the other hand if you find it inserting... I would say go for it... There's always scope for you to quit later if it's getting too much but if you can keep up with it more UCAS points are never going to hurt!
(edited 9 years ago)
Revision isnt going too well haha
im taking maths english lit geography and pe
hoping to do a degree around primary teaching or pe and geography teaching
I'm doing biology, chemistry, maths (stats), and German. I want to study veterinary medicine after A Levels.

Quick Reply

Latest