The Student Room Group

English Student GDL prospects

Hi guys, I’ve been having something of an existential crisis lately, and decided that what I really want in life is to be a lawyer (probably a solicitor). Problem is, these thoughts have come very late in the game. I’m in my final year studying English Lit at Warwick, and am on track for a first, or at least a high 2:1. Would it be best for me to apply for a GDL now, or to get a shelf-stacking job and try and get some relevant experience so I can get a GDL the following year? I’d really like to move ahead as soon as possible, but with no summer vacation schemes and only next year to sort out training contracts I’m not sure if that’s practical. I have no legal experience except a week in a county court about 6 years ago, so feel like I need some grounding. Any advice would be really appreciated, thank you!
Reply 1
I can borrow money from family, and as I understand it there are some training contracts which retroactively reimburse the fee? That said, I am definitely leaning towards taking a year out to make a bit of cash. I'm just wondering if that's a common choice, and about the sort of things that I could do to help get a contract. I want to use my time wisely. If most city firms only allocate contracts 2 years in advance, wouldn't it be imperative I get a contract in order to prevent having to take another year out in the future?

Also, do firms offer vacation schemes for graduates? Or would it be better to pursue other forms of law experience this year in order to acquire a contract? Sorry about all the questions - it's just rather bewildering!
(edited 9 years ago)
You will need to build up decent ECs and law firm work experience plus what is termed pro bono - a wide range of legal activities - the thing with the GDL is, it is very intense. You will have to start to make apps for VS and TCs and these are VERY time-consuming. It will be tricky to do all these things and the GDL unless you are very committed and organised. if you are then you could do the GDL first. Thing is, if you do not get a tc then you will need to consider whether to self fund the lpc.

Think about this now. you can always take a year after the GDL - it is not unusual to be in your position - people spend a year or so paralegaling or whatever waiting to begin TCs.

You will need to answer the ever-present 'why law?' question, and this better done by having some work ex under your belt to speak about.

Plan for doing the GDL and not getting a TC in the time frame you want, what then?

Original post by JBGrenouille
Hi guys, I’ve been having something of an existential crisis lately, and decided that what I really want in life is to be a lawyer (probably a solicitor). Problem is, these thoughts have come very late in the game. I’m in my final year studying English Lit at Warwick, and am on track for a first, or at least a high 2:1. Would it be best for me to apply for a GDL now, or to get a shelf-stacking job and try and get some relevant experience so I can get a GDL the following year? I’d really like to move ahead as soon as possible, but with no summer vacation schemes and only next year to sort out training contracts I’m not sure if that’s practical. I have no legal experience except a week in a county court about 6 years ago, so feel like I need some grounding. Any advice would be really appreciated, thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by happyinthehaze
You will need to build up decent ECs and law firm work experience plus what is termed pro bono - a wide range of legal activities - the thing with the GDL is, it is very intense. You will have to start to make apps for VS and TCs and these are VERY time-consuming. It will be tricky to do all these things and the GDL unless you are very committed and organised. if you are then you could do the GDL first. Thing is, if you do not get a tc then you will need to consider whether to self fund the lpc.

Think about this now. you can always take a year after the GDL - it is not unusual to be in your position - people spend a year or so paralegaling or whatever waiting to begin TCs.

You will need to answer the ever-present 'why law?' question, and this better done by having some work ex under your belt to speak about.

Plan for doing the GDL and not getting a TC in the time frame you want, what then?

Thanks for the advice. But what do you think is more realistic - getting experience this year (and trying for a training contract around this time next year), or plunging straight into the GDL and taking a year off for experience etc if needs be? If the GDL is as intense as everyone states, wouldn't it make sense to try and get some grounding independently over the coming year so I can begin to understand what I'll be learning about?
Original post by JBGrenouille
Thanks for the advice. But what do you think is more realistic - getting experience this year (and trying for a training contract around this time next year), or plunging straight into the GDL and taking a year off for experience etc if needs be? If the GDL is as intense as everyone states, wouldn't it make sense to try and get some grounding independently over the coming year so I can begin to understand what I'll be learning about?

I don't know how much getting legal work experience will help you understand the GDL! It might help you know for sure that you do want to be a lawyer though. You can pile in, do the GDL and get some work experience at the same time. I did. But I am pretty organised - I am a mature student with a family - I have to be. It is also a good idea to start the whole TC journey ASAP as you can learn to get better at it as you go along. You will need to do this unless you are the type to walk into a TC from the word go - some are. But in general, you really do need to show your commitment to law in any way you can - this does NOT have to be in the official vacation scheme way - lots of students think it does. A mix of legal work ex, pro bono, other vol work, legal-related work etc is good.

As long as you are really committed to being a lawyer then you might as well get on with it.

You may find the Way of studying on the GDL a lot different to that which you are used to - I can save you a lot of time here - *get to the point, don't use frilly language. Be brief. You may cultivate an informed opinion though - lots of arts grads come a bit unstuck here on the GDL!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending