The Student Room Group

Putting on weight due to revision!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sgt.Incontro
So each year, during the lead up to every set of exams, I've always put on a bit of weight, which I usually burn off in the summer holidays afterwards.

This time round though, I looked in the mirror and its somewhat worse than it usually is. Summer cannot come soon enough!

Anyone else putting on weight during the revision period? :mad:

Have you ever heard the term "a healthy body is a healthy mind". It's proven that working out and staying active ect... can actually help your cognitive abilities, proven by many studies (search it up). But the fact is, you need to have a balanced diet, drink loads of water (when I revise, I drink loads of water which can burn of fat) and you need to stay active.

As a matter of fact you need to be 50/50 on situations like this. Your life needs to be in a state of balance, because balance is the key. :biggrin:
Hope you take my advice into account, and enjoy your revision :smile::tongue:
Original post by a10
Don't say that :redface: :redface:

I just want to get it done and over with...I hate these exams.

Personally I hate coursework. Provided you allocate enough revision time, exams are a doddle.

I wish I was doing revision now, instead of this stupid coursework, which has been driving me bananas lately.
Original post by evaristegalois
Have you ever heard the term "a healthy body is a healthy mind". It's proven that working out and staying active ect... can actually help your cognitive abilities, proven by many studies (search it up). But the fact is, you need to have a balanced diet, drink loads of water (when I revise, I drink loads of water which can burn of fat) and you need to stay active.

As a matter of fact you need to be 50/50 on situations like this. Your life needs to be in a state of balance, because balance is the key. :biggrin:
Hope you take my advice into account, and enjoy your revision :smile::tongue:

Appreciate the advice :smile:
Do some exercise. Might help you unwind a little bit. Alternatively, eat less.
Do some exercise, it will probably increase your productivity.
I had 2 bars of chocolate the other day. Exam stress is getting to me, and its not even May yet.
Reply 26
Personally I hate coursework. Provided you allocate enough revision time, exams are a doddle.

I wish I was doing revision now, instead of this stupid coursework, which has been driving me bananas lately.

I agree tbh, the cwk is a pile of b.s. and I usually end up getting bad cwk marks too (not for all just some of them) -____-
Hear hear.

Excellent tactic. Hope you get your 1st, good luck!

Likewise. From what I have seen you are nearly done with it, aren't you? Have you received your dissertation grades yet and are you taking end of year exams? I still have another year to go and then 4 years more of Graduate Entry Medicine...which is a far stretch from History & Archaeology, I know, but I don't lose anything trying tbh.

On the other hand, by now I just want to get the year over and done with. I have gotten quite good grades throughout my essays (high 2:1s and a couple of 1st's) so I think that focusing on the topics I am the best at rather than try and cram 20 chapters into a month's time (my first exam is on the 7th of May, so this time they are pretty early) I'll just focus on revising 10 chapters thoroughly and if I have some time left, read over the next ten. As you can see, my degree is essay-based and I have to pick 3 questions out of 16, so I am just focusing on those chapters which come over and over again on past-paper exams.
Original post by a10
I agree tbh, the cwk is a pile of b.s. and I usually end up getting bad cwk marks too (not for all just some of them) -____-

Yeah with the way some coursework is designed, you sometimes wonder whether your brain still exists and is actually functioning. lol

Can't wait to get this cwk out of the way, and start revising for exams.
Original post by bluepimpernel
Likewise. From what I have seen you are nearly done with it, aren't you? Have you received your dissertation grades yet and are you taking end of year exams?

Yes, almost done, no grades yet.

Original post by bluepimpernel
As you can see, my degree is essay-based and I have to pick 3 questions out of 16, so I am just focusing on those chapters which come over and over again on past-paper exams.

Yeah quite different to my degree, so any advice from me would be useless. But it sounds like you have a plan, which is good. Having a plan is always important.
Reply 30
Yeah with the way some coursework is designed, you sometimes wonder whether your brain still exists and is actually functioning. lol

Can't wait to get this cwk out of the way, and start revising for exams.

Is your degree split 0-40-60?

At this point I've kinda said **** the cwk and have begun slow revision for my exams although I'm struggling to find motivation to keep it up lol
Original post by a10
Is your degree split 0:40:60?

Yep. (Or is it 33/67? Not entirely sure lol, but I think it is 40:60)

Original post by a10
At this point I've kinda said **** the cwk and have begun slow revision for my exams although I'm struggling to find motivation to keep it up lol

Sounds risky, but I guess you do have a point. I will keep trying with coursework for a while longer, it is still too early for me too give up.

If my calculations are right, I only need to pass (40%) my exams/coursework to get a 2:1, and need to get 60% to get a 1st. Obviously I am aiming for the 1st though.
Reply 32
Yep. (Or is it 33/67? Not entirely sure lol, but I think it is 40:60)

Sounds risky, but I guess you do have a point. I will keep trying with coursework for a while longer, it is still too early for me too give up.

If my calculations are right, I only need to pass (40%) my exams/coursework to get a 2:1, and need to get 60% to get a 1st. Obviously I am aiming for the 1st though.

60% should be easy to achieve with some revision, you'll get it :smile:

Meh...most of my cwk is only worth 20% and the exams being 80% of the module mark.
So each year, during the lead up to every set of exams, I've always put on a bit of weight, which I usually burn off in the summer holidays afterwards.

This time round though, I looked in the mirror and its somewhat worse than it usually is. Summer cannot come soon enough!

Anyone else putting on weight during the revision period? :mad:

Oh my god this is me. However, fortunately I haven't put any weight on because I have quite a good metabolism but I can't seem to stop eating, especially chocolate. I think it's just because revising for exams is so boring and tedious and the fridge and food is so near that you have way more snacks and food than you would generally have. I think everyone has it though so don't worry!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending