The Student Room Group

Can you do AS and A2 in one year?

Can you still do an A level in one year with the reforms and that?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by natalia2544

Yes. If you want to complete A levels next summer you will ned to take the old specifications.
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
Yes. If you want to complete A levels next summer you will ned to take the old specifications.

Okay, but do you think it would be possible to do AS with the new spec and A2 with the old?
Reply 3
Okay, but do you think it would be possible to do AS with the new spec and A2 with the old?

You could go to the new spec lessons but you would have to take the old spec exams as all of the A level has to be taken under the same spec.
Reply 4
Some courses are fast track courses which allow you to do two years in one,but those are usually offered to second year students who are only doing 2 A-Levels due to dropping or failing some in first year. But I do not think you can do two years in one in general. However, with the new specifications I think after next year would be the last year to do fast track since everything is all done at the end of the 2 years.
Reply 5
Original post by Async
I think after next year would be the last year to do fast track since everything is all done at the end of the 2 years.

There is no reason why it won't be possible to take a whole A level in a year with the new spec - you just take all the exams at the end of 1 year rather than 2.
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
There is no reason why it won't be possible to take a whole A level in a year with the new spec - you just take all the exams at the end of 1 year rather than 2.

Hmm good point. But I doubt they'd let people do fast tracks, due to the work load.
Original post by Compost
You could go to the new spec lessons but you would have to take the old spec exams as all of the A level has to be taken under the same spec.

Does the content of new spec lessons differ largely from the old spec?
I had the same question, is it possible to still do the old spec or is it strictly the new spec where you take the exams after the two years???
Reply 9
Original post by ThatMadClown
I had the same question, is it possible to still do the old spec or is it strictly the new spec where you take the exams after the two years???

The last chance t take the old spec will be Summer 2016.
Reply 10

Yes you can, easiest way is doing your exams privately with an exam centre or a college that will allow you to do the exams... It can cost up to 50-100 pound per unit, per exam depending on how many you are doing for example maths, 6 units, exam costs 60 pounds, it will cost you 360pound, plus you will have to cash in which will be around 20... Or you could ask your current college or another local college they might allow you to do it for free ... It's actually possible to do alevels in a year, revise well
Im doing mechanics 1 exam next wed which will complete the AS. Then C3 c4 m2 in 2 years. So do you know if this will be ok going off what you've said? :smile:
Sitting both AS and A2 exams right now, so it's certainly possible. As for good results, can't promise that :wink:
Original post by ALevelBro
Sitting both AS and A2 exams right now, so it's certainly possible. As for good results, can't promise that :wink:

Which subject? And as for good results, you got time to revise now :wink:
Original post by milliebo
Im doing mechanics 1 exam next wed which will complete the AS. Then C3 c4 m2 in 2 years. So do you know if this will be ok going off what you've said? :smile:

Yes, this is what everyone is doing. I've also got Mechanics 1 left and then next year I will do C3, C4 and S1. :smile:
Original post by Bybella
Yes you can, easiest way is doing your exams privately with an exam centre or a college that will allow you to do the exams... It can cost up to 50-100 pound per unit, per exam depending on how many you are doing for example maths, 6 units, exam costs 60 pounds, it will cost you 360pound, plus you will have to cash in which will be around 20... Or you could ask your current college or another local college they might allow you to do it for free ... It's actually possible to do alevels in a year, revise well

Have you done an A-Level in a year before and if you have, how did it go? :smile:
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Which subject? And as for good results, you got time to revise now :wink:

Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

Yeah, I'm revising, but imagine if I put in the same effort for the past 3-4 months?

I'm sure I would get an A or even A* on all three... And that's my ticket to Med School...
I also had a question about this, if I sat in Economics new Spec AS lessons and sat in old Spec A2 lessons, would the content be too different from old spec lessons therefore leaving me at a disadvantage for the old spec exams?

I've heard that the new A-Levels are coteachable? Not sure what that means but i really want to do Economics in a year to avoid the new spec exams (standalone A2's are not appealing :tongue:)
Original post by ALevelBro
Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

Yeah, I'm revising, but imagine if I put in the same effort for the past 3-4 months?

I'm sure I would get an A or even A* on all three... And that's my ticket to Med School...

Wait are you doing AS and A2 for all of those? Next year if I did do an A-level in one year, I would work from the first day since it is a big task :tongue:
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Wait are you doing AS and A2 for all of those? Next year if I did do an A-level in one year, I would work from the first day since it is a big task :tongue:

Yeah.

To be honest, it's not a 'big task' (or, rather, a hard task)... I learned the entirety of the math (6 modules) in just under 2 months, all it required is a few hours each day, even ignoring weekends.

Of course you should work from the first day, but if you're doing just one subject there's absolutely no need to worry or rush.

Read through the textbook, do examples or tasks at the end. That easy. You can take notes if you've the time, but otherwise past papers is really the best way to memorize the material.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest