The Student Room Group

Change in career path!!! Directing

Hi everyone, i live in Scotland and have applied to do a variety of Economic courses at universities for next term. However i am having major second thoughts now!

I have always loved drama- and in particular directing. Now its certainly not for the fame or glamour of money but its because its something i would enjoy doing i am sure of it. Again, i havnt had much experiance in directing so this is a real problem and is why i think its not a good idea to cancel my ucas application and change it all to drama courses...

I have looked into it a little myself and it seems that most people either start from scratch- and make their own movie or they go to do some of the short courses that are on offer (eg. some 4 week courses or 6 months etc etc) and this is certainly something which interests me as i have plans to do a gap year -although the heafty price tag puts me off!! What are peoples views on these types of courses. But are they completely overshadowed by the full 3 year courses when it comes to getting jobs?

I have also heard its very important to get some form of work experiance at perhaps a filiming studio or something similar- does everyone agree on this?

I was wondering whether anyone who has looked into this sort of career can give me a little help because im getting a bit stressed now as i feel i am losing my chance to do something i will enjoy in life!

Any help or assisstance in this will be much appreciated

Thank you very much for your time
Reply 1
Are you talking about directing films or directing theatre?
Reply 2
directing films most probably
Reply 3
Aww you had me all excited that there was a potential fellow scottish theatre director on the boards :frown:
If you wanted to direct wouldn't you be better doing film rather than drama?

I know Bournemouth Uni's good for TV producing/directing, they probabaly do film too. Leeds do a Broadcasting course which is theory heavy, ie for Directing.

Look at film courses that teach the practical side of tv/film production but do theory too, these are the courses that would be most useful imo.

But I bet if you spoke to directors in general, most wouldn't necesarilh have a completely relevant degree, it's something a lot of people have to work very hard for a very long time to get. And remember in film or theatre or tv you start at the bottom and work your way up.

Also I bet you'd be more likely to get work experience if you were on a course as you seem more committed that way. And trying to get in without a degree, a lot of work is freelance so you need to have the skills to start with, employers rarely train people up themselves so be wary of that.
Reply 5
Yu got into UCLA? Wow, they have a great Film School, just to let yu know Francis Ford Copolla who directed the Godfatehr Graduated there.. Just a thought.

Latest