The Student Room Group

I have no friends at uni and first year is nearly over

so first year is nearly over, and I've spent the year suffering from a myriad of mental health problems, this, I feel has contributed to my isolation and inability to create strong relationships.

in addition to this I've spent the year working on my career goals/ for future things, which meant that I didnt join societies because I had an interest in them, rather because I knew they would benefit me In the long term.

Whilst I have accomplished a fair bit this year in comparison to my peers, I feel sad that I have nobody to talk to.

I have never had normal friendships and the friendships that I do have are rather like "networking" friends. They are useful to me with respect to academics and career pursuits but not emotionally.

my housemates are also not my friends. In fact they often exclude me and just dont like me. It's got to a point where I think I will cut them out my life.

im a loner.
Sounds like me. I get on with my flatmates but only to the level that I can have a short conversation but I wouldn't consider us friends. My coursemates are a similar situation. I can sit with a few people I know in lectures and occasionally do things outside lectures but this is rare. Would like to get to know people better but I'm always ill (suffer from loads of illnesses) and constantly miss out on social events etc.

Even when I do go to social events, I tend not to find them interesting or enjoyable. Much prefer to sit in my room and watch Netflix or play Xbox or just do some revision/coursework.
(edited 9 years ago)
Na don't worry, I was the same I lasted 3 years like this, only got together in group work never anything else. Nobody invited me to any activities. No worries as long as you can still ask people when you need help it will he fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by aliman65
Sounds like me. I get on with my flatmates but only to the level that I can have a short conversation but I wouldn't consider us friends. My coursemates are a similar situation. I can sit with a few people I know in lectures and occasionally do things outside lectures but this is rare. Would like to get to know people better but I'm always ill (suffer from loads of illnesses) and constantly miss out on social events etc.

Even when I do go to social events, I tend not to find them interesting or enjoyable. Much prefer to sit in my room and watch Netflix or play Xbox or just do some revision/coursework.

Ah, it's a shame that this is happening to us. I'm glad we can relate however and know that you're not on your own.
Reply 4
Original post by orangepies12
Na don't worry, I was the same I lasted 3 years like this, only got together in group work never anything else. Nobody invited, me to any activities. No worries as long as you can still ask people when you need helo it will he fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But that's really sad in the long term.
Reply 5
Hi I only just come across this post, i'm going through the same thing as well.
I don't even really get on with my flat mates which is more so them having a problem with me then them.
I always tried to be friendly and get on with them but they never really cared so I stopped bothering which resulted in the blaming me for everything that goes wrong which is pretty damn annoying but yeah I can deal with it xD

But yeah you have some kinda friends even if they are networking,it's a start :smile: it's better than having nobody to talk to at all.

Quick Reply

Latest