The Student Room Group

Topics for law

Hi,

What four subjects do you say are ideal for law
English Literature and History are both loved by universities. There aren't any specific subjects you HAVE to do though, just as long as you have one essay based subject at least. Personally, I'd say do law if you can as an A Level, its not the most respected A level out there but it's a good way to just test the water and see if you even like the subject.
Original post by inthechaos
English Literature and History are both loved by universities. There aren't any specific subjects you HAVE to do though, just as long as you have one essay based subject at least. Personally, I'd say do law if you can as an A Level, its not the most respected A level out there but it's a good way to just test the water and see if you even like the subject.

thanks.
Original post by HelpAppreciated
Hi,

What four subjects do you say are ideal for law

The grades you get are more important than the subjects you do. Obviously, there are subjects you should avoid in order to be considered for any competitive university subject (media studies etc.).

Practice at essay writing may prove useful for the course, or at least may help it to feel less daunting. But don't push yourself to do arts/humanities subjects if you don't think you'd be any good at them.
Any idea which universities you want to apply to? Obviously if you're applying for a top top uni then you need to pick carefully. I personally applied for decent mid-ground type universities (and one crap uni) and I didn't get a single rejection even though one of my A levels is Fine Art. Still going to a decent non-russell group university in September (UEA) and I'm perfectly happy with that. I think it only matters if you want to go for Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, Durham etc. type universities. All a levels are valuable in their own way, and most universities are starting to notice that. I would say start working on getting some extra-curricular stuff under your belt, and don't feel pressured to try get work experience at a law firm, if you don't know one of the lawyers your chances of getting it are very slim. Volunteer at the citizens advice bureau f you can, really well respected and can also cut your training contract by 6 months if you want to be a solicitor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest