The Student Room Group

Is my boyfriend too controlling?

Me and my boyfriend have been together for quiet a while but idk if he's good for me anymore. i just cant seem to be abole to do anything alone now. for eg, if i want to watch a tv show, i have to wait for him before i can watch it, it's just annoying cause my friends all watch it before i can and they discuss it and i feel left out. Its not like hes even living with me, we have to like sync them online... so annoying! Also, he like asks loads what i'm doing... like he's checking on me!! I will say im doing work and hes like what work... just seems weird.

sooo idk what to do! should i like tell him to back off? i do like him but it's like he's kinda suffocating me.. :frown: help?!
Original post by Anonymous
Me and my boyfriend have been together for quiet a while but idk if he's good for me anymore. i just cant seem to be abole to do anything alone now. for eg, if i want to watch a tv show, i have to wait for him before i can watch it, it's just annoying cause my friends all watch it before i can and they discuss it and i feel left out. Its not like hes even living with me, we have to like sync them online... so annoying! Also, he like asks loads what i'm doing... like he's checking on me!! I will say im doing work and hes like what work... just seems weird.

sooo idk what to do! should i like tell him to back off? i do like him but it's like he's kinda suffocating me.. :frown: help?!

Speaking to him would be the first move, if you actually still want to be with him....see how he feels ....if he is adamnt that you need constant checking on or becomes defensive then maybe better off cutting your losses...

You don't like it. I suggest you talk to him about this IN A PUBLIC LOCATION. I would not advise you to talk to him in a private place like your/his room.
Personally, I think you should break up with him. You do not seem happy and his behaviour is worrying. And no, you cannot change him so don't bother trying.
you should talk to him about it calmly, he probably doesn't even realise he's doing it
Maybe he's just interested in your day and likes watching things simultaneously with you if you cannot watch them together? Just talk about it.
Tell him that you don't like the way he checks up on you.
Reply 6
Ask/Confront him about it. He might just be extremely interested in knowing how your day went? :smile:

But tell him you feel uncomfortable sometimes and that you'd like to have a bit more free roam in your relationship and that you hope he appreciates it.
yes he is but you are encouraging it by being too obedient just watch your programme when you feel like it
You need to remember to have time apart aswell, that's normally in a healthy relationship for both of you.

Does he stop you from seeing or speaking to your friends? Do you think this is why he doesn't want you to watch it? Does he like to comment on what you wearing and how it's not appropriate? When you confront him, watch out for him just saying that he cares about you and that's why he does these things. You may care about him alot too, but remember things could get alot worse than this. So overall, just talk about how you feel and hopefully you can work it out. Otherwise, just move on and away from him and go watch your shows and talk with your friends about it.
Original post by karl pilkington
yes he is but you are encouraging it by being too obedient just watch your programme when you feel like it

I agree! :smile:

In fact, what is stopping you from watching it? What do you think will happen if you decide to watch even just one episode?
Reply 10
It really depends on the manner he does it. If it's forceful then yes, it seems a bit controlling. If not then it could genuinely just be that he wants to spend more time with you and enjoys knowing about your life.

So what's happened? Did you tell him how you felt? How did he take it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending