The Student Room Group

Is meat bad for our health?

What are your thoughts on this

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nope. Eating too much (of certain kinds) is and many people eat too much, same with junk food meats. Don't get me wrong, there are good reasons not to eat meat but none of them involve health. Health is just about balance and varied, in the right ways, which can just as easily involve meat as not.
This is not an easy topic.

It will take weeks and weeks of research to understand the answer.

The whole notion of "healthy foods" is a very queer one to start with.

Meat can be a part of a optimally healthy diet however.
Reply 3
Original post by BKS
Nope. Eating too much (of certain kinds) is and many people eat too much, same with junk food meats. Don't get me wrong, there are good reasons not to eat meat but none of them involve health. Health is just about balance and varied, in the right ways, which can just as easily involve meat as not.

Original post by TorpidPhil
This is not an easy topic.

It will take weeks and weeks of research to understand the answer.

The whole notion of "healthy foods" is a very queer one to start with.

Meat can be a part of a optimally healthy diet however.

true..i am thinking of stopping eating meat but not for health reasons

but i want to eat a helathy diet.. could i get optimal nutrtion without meat. i dont have a lot of knowledge about this... and its a big lifestyle change
Reply 4
Original post by number23
true..i am thinking of stopping eating meat but not for health reasons

but i want to eat a helathy diet.. could i get optimal nutrtion without meat. i dont have a lot of knowledge about this... and its a big lifestyle change

Yes, you can live perfectly fine without meat. I've never eaten it and at 24 I am still entirely healthy.

That said focusing on optimal tends not to be mentally healthy. You don't want to get too caught up on being healthy all the time.

If it seems like a big change then break it down into smaller ones. Learn more recipes, learn what food is out there. There's nobody timing you or marking your progress or some right way to do it. Set a goal like eat no meat til lunch or eat no meat at dinner 2 days a week or cook a new recipe every weekend. Once you've done that one you set another one and get there in your own time.
Reply 5
Original post by BKS
Yes, you can live perfectly fine without meat. I've never eaten it and at 24 I am still entirely healthy.

That said focusing on optimal tends not to be mentally healthy. You don't want to get too caught up on being healthy all the time.

If it seems like a big change then break it down into smaller ones. Learn more recipes, learn what food is out there. There's nobody timing you or marking your progress or some right way to do it. Set a goal like eat no meat til lunch or eat no meat at dinner 2 days a week or cook a new recipe every weekend. Once you've done that one you set another one and get there in your own time.

Yeah thats true. Im not a huge meat fan anyway. I do like some fish though, I think it would be harder for em to give up salmon, prawns, tuna etc.

What are some particularly calorie dense foods? I know peanut butter, oats, nuts etc

Thnks for the advice
Eating too much of anything is unhealthy.

Including meat. So if you eat meat in decent sized quantities and not too often then you're fine.

In fact it's recommended that you have a balanced diet so that means you should be including meat, vegetables, dairy etc.. in at least one of your meals throughout the week.
I do semi-pro bodybuilding and so eat anywhere between 3-5 chicken breasts per day alongside 4-8 eggs. I'm fine, on the outside at least lol.

Doesn't affect me mentally and meat tastes awesome too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by lewif002
I do semi-pro bodybuilding and so eat anywhere between 3-5 chicken breasts per day alongside 4-8 eggs. I'm fine, on the outside at least lol.

Doesn't affect me mentally and meat tastes awesome too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

8 whole eggs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*

Yeah 2 omelettes per day, each made up of 4 eggs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Meat can be bad for us, but it can also be a part of a healthy diet.

Processed meat, such as sausages and salami, isn't really good for you. Lean meats, such as chicken and fish, are better for your health. Ensure that you have fish twice a week, and have one meat free day a week. Stick to that and you can enjoy meat and have a healthy diet.
Reply 11
Original post by lewif002
Yeah 2 omelettes per day, each made up of 4 eggs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Has it had any consequences on your cholesterol?
(edited 9 years ago)
Meat itself is not inherently unhealthy. It's a healthy part of a balanced diet, depending on exactly what type of meat you're eating. As with any food, it is unhealthy if you eat too much of it.
Its good for your soul
Reply 14
Original post by number23

What are some particularly calorie dense foods? I know peanut butter, oats, nuts etc

Thnks for the advice

Coconut based curry. Avocado. Dry fruit. Olive oil. Most wholemeals do not bad, I can eat a lot of calories in brown bread and pasta. Nothing wrong with a bit of junk either
Original post by *Stefan*
Has it had any consequences on your cholesterol?

I'm too young to notice or care mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
The simple answer is No however you can live healthily without it and Fish heavy diets seem to produce better outcomes on average (Japan has a male obesity rate that the UK has not seen since 1980 and a level of female obesity that is exceptionally low).
Don't eat meat, you'll die.

Quick Reply

Latest